Cool, that is what I thought, thanks.

#4 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:30 AM

I think his first set with the doors was a white pearl Gretsch. He next got the mod orange Ludwig, then a white pearl Ludwig, and the a Ludwig standard in the single six configuration. I think sometime sfter that he got an English made Hayman set. In the eighties he used a pearl set with concert toms. I don't know about his current set. I would love to see him use one of his old sets. BTW DW did not start as a company until 1972. I don't think they started making sets until the late 70's or thereabouts.

#5 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

When I saw John perform with Tribaljazz, he was using some type of rack system and then just an electronic Bass drum.  Probably makes it a hell of a lot easier to transport.  The control for the bass was on the left side of the rack if I'm not mistaken.   I didn't notice the brand.
Jim

#6 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:21 AM

Last couple of vids I have seen the poor guy can only afford to play a wooden box.........maybe the dork trial has made it so these poor guys are so hard up that Robby now just uses a cardboard guitar and just hums the guitar parts and Ray has to mime to a tape using his sons computer desk with black and white keys painted on it  laugh.gif
I blame the fans for not buying enough copies of Legacy.................you greedy bastards  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
Next time you see a Densmore gig and John is playing a shoe box just remember these guys used to be famous and actually had 'real' instruments but your selfishness reduced them to using household items....I am ashamed to call myself a Doors fan....where can I get hold of a Doors Best Of sad.gif IPB Image

#7 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

Alex, I think The Doors should release another compilation CD and dedicate it to you.  They could call it 13 & 1/2 Volume 1.   You get the 2nd half of the 14th song on Volume 2.

#8 michael.haring

michael.haring

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

John had been playing at VH1 Storytellers with a special "clamb" above the ride cymbal. Is there anyone who knows more? Where to buy? I always loved his drum sound especially the way he got control of the cymbals. Michael

#9 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:24 AM

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "clamb" but I think he had a cymbal sizzler. It is an arm with rivits attached that can be raised and lowered to give the effect of having a rivited cymbal. Rivited cymbals are popular in jazz and were popular in the 60's with a lot of rock players. I remember seeing the set John used on storytellers show up on e-bay. It was a 22,13,16 mod orange set from about 1967 and I think John autographed it as well. I think it sold for about $4000.00.

#10 elshaman

elshaman

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (ZPPoet @ Aug 12 2006, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was it DW, Pearl, Ludwig? What?

duhhhhhhhhhhhhh blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users