The March 11th 1971 one page contract amendment

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stuart_*

Guest_Stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

Sub Section 11 Amendment to the Old Doors Partnership Agreement March 11th 1971
”On March 11th 1971 the parties executed a one page amendment to the Old Doors Partnership Agreement. It sets forth a specific provision prohibiting the use of the name, The Doors, by any partner upon termination of the partnership for any reason other than the death of a partner. The amendment was prompted by a concern that after L.A. Woman was delivered to Elektra, Morrison might leave the band and form another band in Europe using the name 'The Doors.'
Manzarek testified that he signed the one-page amendment when it was prepared but did not read it and did not understand its purpose.
Abe Somer testified that he recalled some concern about the band splintering, and that the amendment, as well as all of the band's agreements, were explained to the band members before they signed."
The court found Mr. Somers' testimony to be credible and accepts it as true."

From Pt III Statement of facts….
Proposed Statement of Decision
By Judge Gregory Alarcon May 2005
http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=39&hl=

John, Did the 3 of you think of this shitty,backstabbing idea collectively or was it one of you three indivudlaly who thought of this dastardly deed?.

Questions like this deserve answers.

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

mad.gif

#3 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Maybe it is.

#4 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Rotary,  I'm starting to get the feeling that your input is more unhelpful than helpful.

#5 thescribe

thescribe

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE(knowidea @ Jul 26 2006, 06:58 AM) View Post

Rotary,  I'm starting to get the feeling that your input is more unhelpful than helpful.

it took you THIS long to realise?

Asta la vista baby.

#6 Guest_Stuart_*

Guest_Stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:23 AM

Waiting for a Response John....

#7 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Stuart, the March 11th 1971 contract is a good thing. Despite the evidence that this contract prevents Ray and Robby from unfairly using the name The Doors, you refer to the contract as shitty and backstabbing then ask John to answer you.  I do not understand the logic in waiting.

#8 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(rotaryperception @ Jul 27 2006, 04:13 AM) View Post

Stuart, the March 11th 1971 contract is a good thing. Despite the evidence that this contract prevents Ray and Robby from unfairly using the name The Doors, you refer to the contract as shitty and backstabbing then ask John to answer you.  I do not understand the logic in waiting.

The point he tries to make but can not due to the fact he is an idiot  sad.gif  is not a topical one but rather one from the Doors History of the 70s.
True the document kicked the dorks asses in court but what were the reasons behind such a document in February/March 1971.
We know Jim was leaving for Paris around this time but the story we have been fed for so long is one of him returning after a year long sabbatical and picking up with The Doors where he left off.

(Jim mentions possibly making another album in his phone call to John ....which I do not for a moment doubt is true.....this in itself is interesting as he phoned John at Johns home.....not his bestest mate Ray)  ohmy.gif

The Doors and their associates have fed Doors fans this particular scenario for decades.....but here thanks to the dork trial we have a document that flies in the face of the accepted History..........3 Doors suspicious that 1 Door might take the name that made them rich from them and re-establish it in Europe.
This is not the 'one for all and all for one' Doors that I was fed for the last 30 odd years.
This is a Doors that seems to be mistrustful of itself and paranoid that the band is in danger of being hijacked by 25% of its membership.
The questions this document raises are many and are without doubt uncomfortable for the surviving Doors which is why this has been kept well away from public scrutiny........they never mentioned this in the tribute to Jim video  laugh.gif
The comments Bill Siddons made about how they were searching for a new singer and auditioned Mike Stull which I raised on this thread............
http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=877
............point to the assumption that Jim had indeed left (or was in the process of leaving) the band......this has been rumoured for a number of years now and Herve Muller even makes a point of mentioning Jim told him he had indeed left The Doors whilst in Paris.
Obviously once he died it was best to keep this quiet especially in the latter half of the 70s when Jim Morrison became big business once again.
The marketing of Morrison in the last 30 years has been quite astounding really as he has been a T Shirt God longer than he was actually alive  smile.gif
To bring up that he had in fact left The Doors and the band was scared he might gather up a few Brit musicians whilst in Europe and form a new band called ‘The Doors’ might seriously impinge on the money rolling in.........I was a dyed in the wool Doors fan back in the 70s but if I had known this it would undoubtedly have had an affect on my rose coloured view of The Doors.
Here was a band that shared all the rewards ....that did nothing unless all four members agreed that it should be done .......who were to me unique among all the bands I had ever admired in my life.........but then to discover that the lead singer had dumped the musicians and the musicians were so suspicious of him they had to resort to such a document to stop him nicking the band........I cannot even imagine what that would have done in the 70s to the burgeoning  Morrison led Doors fan base I saw growing around me.........
I cannot see this document being made on a whim so there must have been some deep rooted reasons for being suspicious Jim was planning such a move and these must have been festering for a decent period of time to conclude that such action needed to be taken.
Nor can I see how this document was the idea of Jim Morrison himself as why would he need to do this as he was the one who suggested the band share everything in the first place was he not?
So it would be fair to conclude that a member or members of the musical side of The Doors came up with the idea and it would be fair also for fans to ask who? and why?
Rays response to this document at the trial is utterly laughable and indicates that he is rather embarrassed by the existence of the, as Stu points out, rather grubby little document so its fair to presume from his attempt to distance himself that he would have been at the forefront of such an idea.
It's hardly likely that The Doors lawyers came up with the wheeze nor is it likely the record company had the idea for such a document which leaves The Doors themselves with the smoking gun.
Were The Doors fracturing at the seams....was dissent rife within the band....was Morrison being sidelined by his former friends who were plotting to oust him as Doors singer........was Morrison planning to relocate the band in Europe with British musicians and ditch his former friends...why was a document like the one above felt necessary and who was the one who felt it was required ......just what actually was going on with The Doors in 1971?...............why was this information kept from Doors fans for 30 odd years...........all fair questions........... smile.gif

#9 worm man

worm man

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

The obvious answer is to blame it on the dead man...Intreiging stuff though...I'm with you all the way on this one TWSP...why was this legal document prepared...

#10 Annie

Annie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

TWSP made an excellent and compelling synopsis of the March 11, 1971 Amendment.  This document didn't come out of the blue, and considering the timeframe it was prepared and signed (immediately prior to Jim leaving for Paris), the only beneficiaries are the remaining three Doors members.  I don't think this amendment to the partnership agreement was purposely kept from The Doors fans, but rather was a part of the voluminous exhibits presented in the course of the lawsuit.   By late 1970, from all indications, the foursome was fractured and unsure of the band's future in its original form.  I also think this was purely a business decision to protect the remaining members from Jim or anyone else "hijacking" 'The Doors' name (which he came up with in the first place).   John, Ray, Robby and The Doors management had no idea whether or not -- or even if -- Jim would come back from Paris and rejoin the band.

That being said, it would be interesting to hear John's explanation of the Amendment so we can put this matter in the "asked-and-answered" category.

Annie

#11 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

I didn't know anything about this until it was mentioned. and I'm not sure I understood it correctly but...

I don't think Jim would ever use the name The Doors in Europe because he wouldn't betray all the music and lyrics he had done with those 3 people. It wouldn't surprise me if it had been Jim who proposed to sign this document as a way to slap anyone who had insinuated that he could ever do such a thing. It's quite possible that Jim, realizing people were being malicious, proposed to sign this document as a way of saying: I won't betray you, this is the proof and I'll slap your face if you ever suggest that I lost the little integrity that I have left.

does this make any sense?

I don't know shit about this matters but it might have been Jim's idea. And who would Jim be attacking with such an attitude?
Ray Manzarek of course - maybe Ray insinuated something Jim didn't like.

Just my intuition, I don't know.

Why do you people care so much about the doors issues?
Maybe more than what you care for yourselves.
Man, I need to breathe.

#12 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

Yes indeed it makes sense.............though probably a long shot as to what actually happened...I'm with you though that Morrison would never have stolen the name and started a new band as The Doors in Europe.

'Why do you people care so much about the doors issues?'
Could be worse we could actually believe we were Jim Morrison reincarnated............. laugh.gif

#13 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Aug 3 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

Yes indeed it makes sense.............though probably a long shot as to what actually happened...

yes, a long shot as to what actually happened but that was all that occur for me to say.

'Why do you people care so much about the doors issues?'
Could be worse we could actually believe we were Jim Morrison reincarnated............. laugh.gif

I believe that for 20 years. Everything in my life is about/because/along that.
Can you imagine if I'm wrong?
I know I'm not wrong. My life is just pain from all sides. I need an explanation, no wait. I already got that.

I need... I need to leave somewhere.
I'm going insane from loneliness,
Man, you can even hear it, because it sounds.
Loneliness sounds.

#14 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Aug 3 2006, 11:26 PM) View Post

Yes indeed it makes sense.............though probably a long shot as to what actually happened...I'm with you though that Morrison would never have stolen the name and started a new band as The Doors in Europe.

QUOTE(one leg toad @ Aug 3 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

yes, a long shot as to what actually happened but that was all that occur for me to say.

I wasn't being funny with my comment MC  smile.gif I thought you made a very good point.........

#15 Annie

Annie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(one leg toad @ Aug 3 2006, 12:48 PM) View Post

I didn't know anything about this until it was mentioned. and I'm not sure I understood it correctly but...

I don't think Jim would ever use the name The Doors in Europe because he wouldn't betray all the music and lyrics he had done with those 3 people. It wouldn't surprise me if it had been Jim who proposed to sign this document as a way to slap anyone who had insinuated that he could ever do such a thing. It's quite possible that Jim, realizing people were being malicious, proposed to sign this document as a way of saying: I won't betray you, this is the proof and I'll slap your face if you ever suggest that I lost the little integrity that I have left.

does this make any sense?

This makes a lot of sense, one leg toad.  If it was indeed Jim's idea, then bravo to him; in addition, it would take the other members off the hook in the eyes of some of the Doors fans.  No matter, the amendment was conceived for business reasons, and although Jim and the others had no intention of hijacking the name, it's always preferable to reduce any substantive pacts among partnership members in writing.  One never knows when the need will arise to haul out the document, as the parties in the lawsuit discovered some 30 years later.

John should be the final word on the circumstances surrounding this particular agreement, although I understand if he chooses not to discuss the litigation.

I hope you are taking care of yourself, one leg toad, for many reasons, one being you have a lot to contribute here.  Life is tough -- sometimes it's good and other times it's wretched and hopeless, but always remember, you're not alone.

Annie

#16 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Aug 3 2006, 03:09 PM) View Post

I wasn't being funny with my comment MC  smile.gif I thought you made a very good point.........

It's alright Walls Screamed. I have nothing to hide, it's okay about the comment. It's no secret anymore that the woman here feels she is the same soul as that idiot.

As for the 11 Amendment to the Old Doors Partnership Agreement, I just said what came to my head when I was reading your post. I guess I thought about it from my perspective and what I would do if I had a band and I was in a similar situation, or someone doubted my integrity. Still, what would hurt me the most would be the fact someone thought I would be doing it under the rug.
And then, why would Jim Morrison steal the doors name if he was trying to run away from the teen-tits idol image which belonged to the doors that he helped creating? It makes no sense. If Jim wanted to leave his band mates he wouldn't run away with the doors name, for sure!
I don't know about Jim but if it was me in that situation, I'm just the kind of person to come up with a document like that. I would have felt hurt if it would happened to me.
If anyone needed the doors name surely it wasn't Jim, because Jim was the name.

I don't think Jim wanted to leave the band unless he was leaving music. On the other hand, I'm almost sure that Jim had a new music project in mind without the doors name. But to be very honest I think these were just bits and pieces of intention from a man that felt tired but not fullfilled.
Most probably he thought about a million things to do, and if he was using heroin like I believe he was, then all that Jim had were plenty of castles in the sand. Heroin must have humilliated him to the marrow of his pride, specially when he finally realized he was being controlled and mocked at by the drug itself. It was devastating for Jim, believe me that it was.

I haven't read much about whether Jim wanted to leave the doors or not, but what I feel is what I said. I feel Jim would have liked a new music project without the pressure of a contract etc. But it had to be something that would come to free him and give him new identity. However, we all know how very gracious his band mates were towards him; and how very lucky Jim was in having these musicians who would put up with all his talent but also negativity. I can't think of any others who would suit him and serve him as good. I think he came to realize this, and maybe he wanted help from someone in the band. On the other hand, and looking from my perspective, all Jim Morrison wanted while in Paris, was to gather his words in a pile and set flames to it - if you know what I mean.
Maybe in his head this late plan came to be the only chance for him to leave a mark in society the way he wanted to be seen: as a poet. But more important than leaving an honest mark in society was resolution, resolution inside himself. When you look all around and you can't find yourself, or you realize that none of what's projected is you, your only desire is to clean that up no matter what you'll have to do. Clean that up to himself, first and alone.

If people would like to discuss these feelings of mine we can talk about it on the reincarnation thread. I don't mind an honest chat, never did. The reason why I'm here for the last 6 years is exactly to share my experiences, my pain, any coincidences, my intuition and everything else the people would like to talk about. This is an issue that's important for me, it changes everything about my past, present and future. I don't want to bring you hurt or put people in a state of crisis, but why do you think I got the name? It fits me perfectly. I am a crisis myself and there is nothing special about me besides me. Besides all the hurt and all the loss, I would be happy to be given such a most precious answer that would conquer death. And things happen when they have the conditions and the means to happen. It was technologies' fault - if you know what I mean, photographs make a recognition possible.
From books to proof the secret lies in confrontation, rather than compromise.
"The living factor" is also another precious circumstance, when you say you are the soul of the dead who died long ago, then there'll be no one alive who can speak to you about the magic of healing. Because all that person's relatives and friends would be dead.
It's okay, come. I'm inviting you to the journey that's knowing myself. You can rip off 33 years of my life from me, rather that than living a lie for all my eternity.
  laugh.gif

QUOTE(Annie @ Aug 3 2006, 04:51 PM) View Post

John should be the final word on the circumstances surrounding this particular agreement, although I understand if he chooses not to discuss the litigation.

I hope you are taking care of yourself, one leg toad, for many reasons, one being you have a lot to contribute here.  Life is tough -- sometimes it's good and other times it's wretched and hopeless, but always remember, you're not alone.

Annie

Hello Annie,
thank you for your kind words.

#17 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:20 AM

True if this grubby little document was in fact Jim's idea it surely would get the other three off the hook but lets get real folks although it is a good argument its not very likely. Jim had plenty of things on his mind at the time such as spending a few month in Raiford prison and suffering from stress/depression/alcoholism.....so its likely that the idea came from somewhere else............as MC says why would Jim want to steal the name when he was trying to escape his own self made image..............Miami may well have been the start of getting away from Jim Morrison superstar but it kinda backfired on him and sadly defined him even to this day.............
In September 70 he was found guilty and a month later sentenced to six months for exposure and two for profanity.........................he spends his birthday with friends recording his poetry and a few days later sees Dallas and New Orleans which are the end of his performing days with The Doors...........
Forget about Ray Manzareks bullshit description of Jim Morrison standing there and his spirit leaving him....it would seem to me his spirit was gone long before they got to New Orleans.........This was a man at an extremely low ebb with a huge weight bearing down on him so the last thing on his mind would have been this document...........It was indeed a miracle that two weeks spent in January produced one of the greatest albums in rock history but that aside Jim Morrison was down if not completely out and this just seems like kicking a man whilst he was down.
The band already had a pretty unique system in place which was based on trust so that trust must have dissapeared by the end of 1970 start of 71 for something like this to be produced.

"The amendment was prompted by a concern that after L.A. Woman was delivered to Elektra, Morrison might leave the band and form another band in Europe using the name 'The Doors!"

Now this sentence is not something from some rock rag....this is part of a legal document resulting from a trial...specifically from Part III Statement of facts….
FACTS!.....not hearsay or some fans opinion...........FACTS heard during a legal process in a courtroom........
Of course we need to see the tesimony of the major players for more information and it would be nice to see scans of the actual document..........but that one sentence seems to make it clear that Morrison was NOT involved..........so was it the band who were concerned?..........was it Jac Holzman?
Where was this distrust of Morrison coming from and what prompted it?
Questions that will not go away and I dispute that John ....Robby or Ray will be the final word in this particular discussion. A lot of people will be interested to know exactly what was going on with their fave band during tha latter part of 1970 and the start of 1971..............
As I said in the other threads......my view of this my favourite band could not help but have been different if I had known some of the things I know now 25/30 years ago............it would not have made much difference to loving the music but certainly would have given me a less than rose tinted perspective of the individuals that I had for so long.
Be interesting to see what happens when this particular Pandoras Box is finally opened and we get something approaching the truth about The Doors last days............. smile.gif  

Replacing Jim
Distrust of Morrison

#18 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

Before Jim left for Paris, while the mixing was being done on LA Woman Jim said " Don't mix my vocals too low". This meant do no not cover his voice with instruments and effects such as reverb. When I hear Love Her Madly I hear heavily compressed vocals,meaning certain frequencies are limited so that the overall volume of a certain track can be boosted. Maybe the fact that the Doors and Bruce Botnik were not mixing Jim properly led Jim to want to sign the contract.

#19 PTLWP

PTLWP

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

I don't think Jim wanted anything more to do with the Doors, except in maybe a nostalgic way.  He was growing up and away from the band and had had enough.  Maybe the other players around him like the company suits were out to protect their interests, but I don't think that it was anything more than that and probably exactly that..beancounters making sure that their "golden goose" didn't go AWOL, instead, he died.

#20 Annie

Annie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

TWSP, thank you for the background information about the amendment and its inclusion in the lawsuit.  It was wishful thinking on my part, as so often things aren't what they appear to be, and I was hoping that applied in this case.  I'm still holding on to the eventuality that when we hear the whole story, then we'll be satisfied the amendment was put in place for reasonable purposes.   Since Jim didn't officially resign/retire from the Doors before he left for his Parisian sabbatical, I don't see why there would be any concerns that Jim might appropriate the name for his own use.

Even though I've been an avid Jim Morrison fan (and Doors, too) since "Light My Fire" hit the charts in spring 1967, I also know that a professional life with Jim wasn't easy for the other band members.  I certainly could understand some resentment on their part for his erratic behavior that essentially ended The Doors' careers.  From all indications, Jim's demons were in place long before the band got together.  Sadly, though, he wasn't able to help himself, and instead chose the path of self-destruction for reasons known only to him.  Perhaps the 600-pound gorilla in the room is the fact that there were too many people who gave Jim a pass, preferring to look the other way when he was at his most outrageous and spiraling out of control.  In the end, Jim did exactly what Jim wanted to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users