19 replies to this topic

#1 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hello John. Hope things are going well. While looking at the many pics of the San Jose rock festival in 1968 I noticed that you are wearing a blue psychedelic fur coat on stage! I would think that it was pretty hot with sun beating down as such. That is one cool looking psychedelic fur coat. Do you still own it? I'm surprised you did'nt melt away in that thing!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/jim...mmarshall18.jpg

#2 jim4371

jim4371

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

Here's a better look at it.
IPB Image

#3 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

It looks warm indeed!

#4 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

Is that fur? It almost looks like a soft velour or something... but oooh... I like it.. and I love the colors :-)

#5 chrisrs

chrisrs

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(gotothelight @ Jun 20 2006, 04:54 PM) View Post

Is that fur? It almost looks like a soft velour or something... but oooh... I like it.. and I love the colors :-)

That's what it looks like to me.
I don't think it would be terribly hot.

#6 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

you are right that it is probobly not fur but he is playing out in the hot sun. What month was the San Jose rock fest? I think Ray is wearing a suit as well. I would love to know more about this show. I wish it was filmed. The sun will fade the color on John's drumset pretty quick though. Mod Orange did not hold up well in the sun. The purple in that finish turned grey/white when exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.

#7 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

When I clicked this thread I expected an assault from PETA. haha . PETA won a charity auction in which the prize was diner with singer Beyonce', the undercover PETA girls brought along a camera to the restaurant NoBu in NY.  They asked Beyonce about the animals slaughtered for the clothing line Beyonce owns. They were thrown out of the restaurant.  Click this link to watch the video PETA took at diner with Beyonce.Link to story and video

#8 Annie

Annie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(mod orange @ Jun 21 2006, 08:01 AM) View Post

you are right that it is probobly not fur but he is playing out in the hot sun. What month was the San Jose rock fest? I think Ray is wearing a suit as well. I would love to know more about this show. I wish it was filmed. The sun will fade the color on John's drumset pretty quick though. Mod Orange did not hold up well in the sun. The purple in that finish turned grey/white when exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.

I attended the Festival on its last day, a Sunday, in mid-May 1968.  The weather was on the coolish side -- high sixties, I'm guessing.  Jim was wearing a wool Navy peacoat.  The Doors played last that day; we left about 15 minutes after they got on stage -- by then, the crowd was thinning out.  Although I had heard "Light My Fire" on the local AM radio station many times during the preceding year, I had no idea what the group looked like until that day. I was there to see Country Joe and the Fish.

#9 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the story Annie. That must have been a cool show to attend. Was the sound any good? I always get a kick out of some of those pics. John's drums are set up right on a piece of plywood. I am surprised those things did'nt just creep off the front of that riser. Everything looks it was not miced with much. I use more mics on my drums for a small club gig nowadays! I guess it was fairly cool in may then I guess.

#10 Christie

Christie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

I suspect that John's coat was fake fur. It was in vogue in that time period. I had at least one fake fur coat then myself.

#11 John

John

Debut

• Official
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Christie @ Jun 25 2006, 03:07 AM) View Post

I suspect that John's coat was fake fur. It was in vogue in that time period. I had at least one fake fur coat then myself.

OK,OK... the coat wasn't fur (velvet, I think)... but it was HOT... but I was young and it was important to look COOL! JD

#12 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(John @ Jun 25 2006, 01:48 AM) View Post

OK,OK... the coat wasn't fur (velvet, I think)... but it was HOT... but I was young and it was important to look COOL! JD

I guess sometimes you just have to be hot to be cool :-)

#13 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

smile.gif

#14 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

no worries
Jim wore snakes
IPB Image

and so I won't be surprised if there in poets' heaven
someone's trying to take his skin off

biggrin.gif

#15 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hey John. I think that coat looks cool hot or not. You guys had a distictive look that was cool. Kind of like your mix in the music. It went from jazz and blues to psychedelic. Good stuff!

#16 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(one leg toad @ Jun 26 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

no worries
Jim wore snakes
IPB Image
and so I won't be surprised if there in poets' heaven
someone's trying to take his skin off
biggrin.gif

Dionysus, the God of wine, music, poetry and, madness was born from Zeus's thigh after his mother was incinerated. Zeus showed the mortal woman his body, she burned but baby Dionysus was rescued. When Dionysus was born on Earth humans tore the flesh from baby Dionysus and he died. Where his blood spilled a pomagranite tree grew. Dionysus's grandmother gave the child a third birth. He was raised in the forest by musicians and poets. When he grew up he came out of the forest and women from all across the ancient world followed Dionysus as he drank his way across the land.

Jim wore a pony skin suit, someone confronted him at the airport. Jim took it off an threw it in the trash at the airport.
Do not eat lobsters. If you do, freeze them first. Never boil anything alive.

#17 Paige

Paige

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(rotaryperception @ Jun 29 2006, 12:17 AM) View Post

Dionysus, the God of wine, music, poetry and, madness was born from Zeus's thigh after his mother was incinerated. Zeus showed the mortal woman his body, she burned but baby Dionysus was rescued. When Dionysus was born on Earth humans tore the flesh from baby Dionysus and he died. Where his blood spilled a pomagranite tree grew. Dionysus's grandmother gave the child a third birth. He was raised in the forest by musicians and poets. When he grew up he came out of the forest and women from all across the ancient world followed Dionysus as he drank his way across the land.

Jim wore a pony skin suit, someone confronted him at the airport. Jim took it off an threw it in the trash at the airport.
Do not eat lobsters. If you do, freeze them first. Never boil anything alive.

I agree, everything on this earth must feel pain! It would be horrible to be boiled alive. Although I despise the cold, I'd much rather freeze to death. I've heard that you just drift off...

This may sound stupid, but I think before I inflict anything on ANY living creature ( be it animal, insect, plant ) I should ask myself, ' would this hurt if it were happening to me? ' Adjust my actions accordingly. If I must eat it, at least I can try to insure that the creature was killed in the most humane fashion possible. Not that killing is humane, but you get my drift.

#18 PTLWP

PTLWP

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(jim4371 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:48 PM) View Post

IPB Image

That coat is kewlness, pure kewlness, oh yeah....your ballroom days were not over baby, and still aren't.

#19 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(jim4371 @ Jun 20 2006, 07:48 PM) View Post

IPB Image

the coat is beautiful.

blue and green and silver

#20 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:29 AM

john used to have this white denim coat that he on the outtakes of the morrison hotel pictures, check out the pics from henry diltz! which was also worn in the early doors publicity photos. and he had probably a collection of scarves and jewellery as well.  Does he still own these?  has he got any drums at any hard rock cafe or a collection of drums arond his house.  What is his favourite pieces of clothing these days,
thanks,
pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users