46 replies to this topic

#1 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

When Jim was in Paris, did he call John at home, or did he call the Door's office, and John just happened to answer the phone?

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:38 AM

Now that is a damn good question......
In John's book it reads as if John is answering his own phone when Jim rings (P 6) but Ray has of course disputed this......so was it Densmores phone or was he just in the office and happened to pick up the phone.
It seems odd to me that Jim would ring John but then after seeing this shabby trick they played on him in 1971 with the contract amendment, to stop him nicking The Doors name whilst in Europe, it seems odd to me that he would ring any of them.
After all Jim himself said to his drinking friends by that time that they were just his business partners.............
Be interesting to hear what the drummer has to say?

#3 Ensenada

Ensenada

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

thing is, maybe jim didnt see anything wrong with signing the document..after all he was probably told that it was to prevent ANYONE using the doors name upon leaving the band..and perhaps jim didnt think it was just for him?
perhaps jim wasnt bothered because he left the door open (no pun intended  laugh.gif ) for the band and perhaps a few more albums.
even if jim did ring the office, perhaps he asked for john anyway? maybe john could answer this for us? i will pose the question in the proper forum bitty thingy.....

#4 Guest_Mr Alright_*

Guest_Mr Alright_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:39 AM

I have the feeling Jim called John, not the office.
Because in case Jim wanted to leave he wanted to be sure someone of his entire trust wouldn't let things rot.
John might not have been Jim's favourite booze partner but when it came to Justice he knew John was the only one he could trust.
I have a very strong feeling that Jim left The Doors with John; if you know what I mean.

I didn't read all the books you did and now it seems too late, I really don't need to read, just feel. And I feel that Jim did call John, not the office.

even if we're just dancing in the dark

But John is the only one who can answer this question and whatever he says I believe him. Because I know John wouldn't play with Morrison's last wishes just to show off.

What document is that that you're talking about?

#5 Ensenada

Ensenada

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

i dont think jim left the doors with john, so to speak. because after all john did go on to do two more albums with the doors without jim....and created some cool music.
on another note not really related to this topic. i cant believe some fans actually think the doors ended in 1971 when jim died.....

#6 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:29 AM

Thats true Rick as The Doors went on to produce a reasonable body of work as a unit and on thier own from 1971 onwards and it would be nice to hear about some of it here but I suppose we have to discuss the bullshit tribute band for a few months before we get to that... laugh.gif

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Ensenada @ Aug 14 2005, 08:14 AM)
i dont think jim left the doors with john, so to speak. because after all john did go on to do two more albums with the doors without jim....and created some cool music.
on another note not really related to this topic. i cant believe some fans actually think the doors ended in 1971 when jim died.....

View Post

much of that is due in fault by Doors management.  If management fails to recognize post morrison material, how are average fans suppose to be aware of its existence?

#8 Guest_Stuart_*

Guest_Stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:25 AM

Im Interested in what jim said to john about life in paris.

#9 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:31 AM

Reading between the lines in JDs book I doubt we will ever get all the conversation as John seems to have been not exactly into talking to Jim at the time.
I guess there was a lot of anger among The Doors and mistrust (as we see from the 1971 document to stop Jim nicking The Doors name) in part, yes, because of Jim's antics and his pretty much wrecking The Doors as a touring band.
I would guess as time went by JD would probably regret not spending more time on the phone with Jim but he did not know it would be the last conversation he would have with his friend.......at least he is honest about his feelings at the time regarding the phone call and did not make up some 'Manzarek-like' fantasy converstation......
It's sad that all we have are a few snippets from Jim's phone call to John and a postcard to Max Fink and a few scribbled pages from Paris to remember from the last days of rocks most enigmatic figure.......but I guess daft as it sounds thats how Morrison would have wanted it.... cool.gif

#10 The Keys

The Keys

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Mr Alright @ Aug 14 2005, 11:39 AM)
I have the feeling Jim called John, not the office.
Because in case Jim wanted to leave he wanted to be sure someone of his entire trust wouldn't let things rot.
John might not have been Jim's favourite booze partner but when it came to Justice he knew John was the only one he could trust.

View Post

and your feelings were right man

cool.gif

#11 alisha101

alisha101

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

I was wondering if there was a way to communicate with John in a more private manner rather than letting everyone else read on the forums. I have a question but am rather embarassed to ask in front of everyone.
if so email me at winger_girl69@yahoo.com  thanks again Alisha i hope to hear from someone soon

#12 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(alisha101 @ Aug 31 2005, 06:12 PM)
I was wondering if there was a way to communicate with John in a more private manner rather than letting everyone else read on the forums. I have a question but am rather embarassed to ask in front of everyone.
if so email me at winger_girl69@yahoo.com  thanks again Alisha i hope to hear from someone soon

View Post

I think Zelig answered this question before.  Here is his answer.

Unfortunately, no. He does read this forum, however, and we have to make it public to weed out those who would ask to have his baby, beg for money, or are seeking the "big break" in the music industry...ad nauseum.

#13 joekidd

joekidd

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:56 AM

Why would John have been answering the phones at The Doors' office?

#14 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:19 AM

This question was answered by John in the "Talk To John" section

#15 Ensenada

Ensenada

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(joekidd @ Sep 10 2005, 01:56 PM)
Why would John have been answering the phones at The Doors' office?

View Post

why the hell wouldnt he?? would there be a ban on band members answering phone calls to their own office??  blink.gif

#16 joekidd

joekidd

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

I imagine that a secretary or a manager such as Bill Siddons or a kid such as Danny Sugarman would have been handling those chores.  If the members of a major group (and The Doors were arguably the premier American rock band at the time) are answering the office phones and handling business requests, they won't  have much opportunity to make music.

#17 St. Jimmy

St. Jimmy

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:56 AM

Well they had just issued a very good album and one of their members was in vacation in Europe, i figure they could take a break. And do you think John being a musician is devoting 9,9% himself to music? He has a life beyond that

#18 joekidd

joekidd

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

But I doubt that he would have spent it answering office phones!

#19 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(joekidd @ Sep 16 2005, 10:49 PM)
But I doubt that he would have spent it answering office phones!

View Post

Why wouldn't they?
The office was only small and they hardly had a large staff......Jim used to work at a desk there and if the phone rang I am sure he would answer it if it was next to him. These guys were not prima donnas with an army of PAs like todays so called stars......Morrison used to empty the petty cash tin and give it to the LA Art Squad (who were a bunch of street artists who were broke) whenever they called round......Danny and Kathy Lisciandro worked there but if the phone rang I imagine whoever was nearest it answered it.....

Jim phoned John at home anyway so I presume he answerd his own phone  smile.gif

#20 Ensenada

Ensenada

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:36 AM

perhaps there was a call divertion set up from the office phone to johns phone..perhaps john really liked answering the office phone anyway...like an obsessive compulsive disorder or something  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users