#21 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can only imagine what gastronomical delights Jim was able to enjoy in Paris!  Croque Monsieurs by the barrow-load!  Let alone all the good wine, etc.

Mmm french pastries mmm anything with butter and cream is very french hehehe

#22 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Oct 15 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't find that damn picture of Jim in his runners, It's going to drive me nuts now!!

I had brain fog when I said the pic of Jim in sneakers was in Feast of Friends,it was in "An Hour For Magic" T

#23 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can only imagine what gastronomical delights Jim was able to enjoy in Paris!  Croque Monsieurs by the barrow-load!  Let alone all the good wine, etc.

The crouque monsieur at La Manzet killed Jimbo,high cholesterol.T

#24 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 16 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The crouque monsieur at La Manzet killed Jimbo,high cholesterol.T

I can think of a lot worse ways to die than death by French cuisine!

#25 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 16 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can think of a lot worse ways to die than death by French cuisine!

Hi Sally,French cuisine would be an excellent way to go,I might go with Japanese cuisine sushi, saki and then some funky fugu to finish me off.Tim

#26 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 16 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sally,French cuisine would be an excellent way to go,I might go with Japanese cuisine sushi, saki and then some funky fugu to finish me off.Tim

Do the Funky Fugu!  Way to go!  

Can you get fugu here in the States, or just in Japan?

#27 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 16 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the Funky Fugu!  Way to go!  

Can you get fugu here in the States, or just in Japan?

I believe fugu is available here in the states,I'm waiting a few more years until I try it,currently working the death by yellow tail sashimi diet,feel better than ever.T

#28 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 16 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe fugu is available here in the states,I'm waiting a few more years until I try it,currently working the death by yellow tail sashimi diet,feel better than ever.T

Love yellow tail!  I wonder if Morrison ever tried sushi.  There was a very good sushi bar on Crenshaw in those days - the Yoko Sushi House.  We used to buy hamachi .30c an order.  The place burned down in the riots.  Been there since the 50s.  Too bad.

#29 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 16 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love yellow tail!  I wonder if Morrison ever tried sushi.  There was a very good sushi bar on Crenshaw in those days - the Yoko Sushi House.  We used to buy hamachi .30c an order.  The place burned down in the riots.  Been there since the 50s.  Too bad.

Hi Sally,Manzareks wife is Japanese,she may have been hip to that sushi bar and brought the lizard king in,non sushi eaters usually enjoy the tempura dishes.I didn't arrive in L.A. until 1979 and I'm aware of our cities relationship w Japanese people,was there many sushi bars in the 60's?

#30 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 16 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love fish and eat loads, but as yet, haven't gotten into raw fish. I doubt I'd ever be brave enough to try fugu though! I found this which made me smile:

"There is an old expression such that "I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die" in Japan. Since fugu's poison can lead to instantaneous deaths of diners, only licensed cooks are allowed to prepare fugu. You must have special skills and knowledge about fugu to be licensed. Poisonous parts of fugu differ, depending on the kind of fugu. Because of the strict regulations, the number of deaths is decreasing."
http://japanesefood....ugublowfish.htm

But generally, fish is meant to have high levels of Omega 3 and Vitamin E, both very health beneficial.

I noticed in listening to some interviews with Jim Morrison, that he often makes reference to fast food, and in some cases uses the interview as an opportunity to order take out. Even photos of Jim eating, look as if he was quite into the fast food diet, full of saturated fats and even worse, trans fats.

I reckon that when the fast food industries started of, not much was known about the dangers of saturated fat and trans fats. If Jim Morrison had a physiology susceptible to heart disease, it would seem no surprise to me that his diet may have had a major impact on his health.

#31 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 16 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sally,Manzareks wife is Japanese,she may have been hip to that sushi bar and brought the lizard king in,non sushi eaters usually enjoy the tempura dishes.I didn't arrive in L.A. until 1979 and I'm aware of our cities relationship w Japanese people,was there many sushi bars in the 60's?

The Yoko was the only one I knew about.  Sushi hadn't caught on much except for the discerning few.  I would imagine that if Dorothy raised the idea of raw fish Morrison probably made the usual remarks about 'bait,' if he was ever subjected to it at all!

I understand that he was quite traditional in his tastes when it came to food.  He was mostly raised in the South, and he does reference those big breakfasts, with grits etc.  

#32 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Helen @ Oct 17 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love fish and eat loads, but as yet, haven't gotten into raw fish. I doubt I'd ever be brave enough to try fugu though! I found this which made me smile:

"There is an old expression such that "I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die" in Japan. Since fugu's poison can lead to instantaneous deaths of diners, only licensed cooks are allowed to prepare fugu. You must have special skills and knowledge about fugu to be licensed. Poisonous parts of fugu differ, depending on the kind of fugu. Because of the strict regulations, the number of deaths is decreasing."

But generally, fish is meant to have high levels of Omega 3 and Vitamin E, both very health beneficial.

I noticed in listening to some interviews with Jim Morrison, that he often makes reference to fast food, and in some cases uses the interview as an opportunity to order take out. Even photos of Jim eating, look as if he was quite into the fast food diet, full of saturated fats and even worse, trans fats.

I reckon that when the fast food industries started of, not much was known about the dangers of saturated fat and trans fats. If Jim Morrison had a physiology susceptible to heart disease, it would seem no surprise to me that his diet may have had a major impact on his health.

Hi Helen,from what I've read and heard Morrison enjoyed his food,in LA he enjoyed mexican food and in particular tacos,of course he ate at bars like Barney's Beanery which is bar food best eaten when smashed,we've heard Jim order bags of potatoe chips and stories of him walking around with a hamburger in a bag,when he was out drinking and hungry he'd order a tropical drink so he could eat the fruit,once in exile in Paris he began consuming all the wonderful cuisine that city has to offer,when a person attempts to stop heavy drinking usually they begin to eat more,the body craves the nutrition it's been lacking and the mind needs another form of gratification to move forward w out booze.Mojo may have had a predisposition to heart diesese,he had a thick neck and that is an attribute doctors look for when dealing w heart problems,of course at Morrisons age no one would be looking for heart disease,he went to the doctor before Paris and was declared in excellent health.I learned about this large neck and heart problems when I went in for a sleep study for my sleep apnea,interesting.
On another note I recommend you try raw fish,sushi or crudo which is raw in italian and a nice way to enjoy seafood.You can start w oysters and move into something like yellow tail or salmon which are both mild yet very distinctive and gratifying,once you begin this raw fish journey more than likely you'll continue it for years to come culminating at a very old age w a piece of deadly fugu,first your touge goes numb and then your face and everything goes black.Enjoy the day.T

#33 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Helen @ Oct 17 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first reference to fugu that I found was in one of the James Bond books - I think it was Dr. No.    

Only a few restaurants here in the States are licensed to sell fugu, and the Emperor of Japan is forbidden to eat it, for obvious reasons!

Hiroshige's portrait of Mr. Hamachi and Mr. Fugu!  

#34 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 17 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On another note I recommend you try raw fish,sushi or crudo which is raw in italian and a nice way to enjoy seafood.You can start w oysters and move into something like yellow tail or salmon which are both mild yet very distinctive and gratifying,once you begin this raw fish journey more than likely you'll continue it for years to come culminating at a very old age w a piece of deadly fugu,first your touge goes numb and then your face and everything goes black.Enjoy the day.T

Maybe its fate I try raw fish!!! You are the second person this week who has tried to convert me! The other person, a colleague, has even told me where to go and get good sushi in Manchester where I live, so I have no excuse now!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 17 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hiroshige's portrait of Mr. Hamachi and Mr. Fugu!

Beautiful illustration smile.gif

#35 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Helen @ Oct 18 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe its fate I try raw fish!!! You are the second person this week who has tried to convert me! The other person, a colleague, has even told me where to go and get good sushi in Manchester where I live, so I have no excuse now!!! smile.gif

Beautiful illustration smile.gif

I really like the Japanese wood-block artists.  My avatar is Hasui.

If you go to this page you can scroll down and you'll find a lot of thumbnails of Hiroshige (1797-1858) which you can click on.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshige

#36 DeadAsADoorNail

DeadAsADoorNail

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 13 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had read somewhere that Morrison was a varsity swimmer in highschool and I was wondering if anyone knew what his event was and what his times where?Judging from his athletic performances on stage it looks like he was a fairly accomplished sportman,excellent balance and coodination,coupled w/excellent indurance,jumping and climbing ability, he remained physically fit until alchoholism took a strong hold and destroyed him.

Jim Morrison the athlete sounds like an oxymoron. However, he was an rock 'n roll athlete, fer sure. Jim's antics are legendary.

Fer sure - 1970's reference to Valley Girls...

#37 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (DeadAsADoorNail @ Oct 19 2010, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim Morrison the athlete sounds like an oxymoron. However, he was an rock 'n roll athlete, fer sure. Jim's antics are legendary.

Fer sure - 1970's reference to Valley Girls...

And a hell of a football player too!!!!!!!!!  smile.gif

#38 Moses Jones

Moses Jones

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

I'D like to chime in here and say that IMO Jim wasn't ever " fat" by today's standards. Alcohol produces a lot of empty calories and sure he put on a few pounds, but I feel the people of today's America are by far more hefty, especially in these parts.

I'M a sushi guy myself. If I go to my favorite place and am truely hungry, my bill can run as high as $60 just by myself with a  few big Japanese beers. I found this new place that is a fixed price all you can eat sushi bar that is a bit out of the way. I call the place "death by sushi" lunch is about $12 and dinner is about $17. It's  about  15 miles North of Cincinnati, Ohio. My ritual is to head up there every four months right after my dental cleanings.

#39 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting comments, based on what's happening with obesity in America these days, let alone everywhere else in the civilized world. He was only 185, but felt he was 'fat,' even though he was about 6' tall. Sounds like Jim put on the 'freshman 15.' He liked those big Southern breakfasts! Yet, he made what seems to be a conscious decision to shed all that weight during his rooftop summer, and showed up looking considerably lighter. 165?

Drew Carey recently lost about 80 lbs, and looks very good, weighs about 185, but wants to lose another 15.

QUOTE (Moses Jones @ Dec 3 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'D like to chime in here and say that IMO Jim wasn't ever " fat" by today's standards. Alcohol produces a lot of empty calories and sure he put on a few pounds, but I feel the people of today's America are by far more hefty, especially in these parts.

I'M a sushi guy myself. If I go to my favorite place and am truely hungry, my bill can run as high as $60 just by myself with a few big Japanese beers. I found this new place that is a fixed price all you can eat sushi bar that is a bit out of the way. I call the place "death by sushi" lunch is about $12 and dinner is about $17. It's about 15 miles North of Cincinnati, Ohio. My ritual is to head up there every four months right after my dental cleanings.

I don't think anyone in this thread said Jim Morrison was ever fat.

#40 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

Yay found it! smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users