41 replies to this topic

#1 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

I had read somewhere that Morrison was a varsity swimmer in highschool and I was wondering if anyone knew what his event was and what his times where?Judging from his athletic performances on stage it looks like he was a fairly accomplished sportman,excellent balance and coodination,coupled w/excellent indurance,jumping and climbing ability, he remained physically fit until alchoholism took a strong hold and destroyed him.

#2 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 13 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had read somewhere that Morrison was a varsity swimmer in highschool and I was wondering if anyone knew what his event was and what his times where?Judging from his athletic performances on stage it looks like he was a fairly accomplished sportman,excellent balance and coodination,coupled w/excellent indurance,jumping and climbing ability, he remained physically fit until alchoholism took a strong hold and destroyed him.

Jim began attending Alameda High in California in 1958, so he may have been on their varsity swim team at that time.  The Wiki site for the school simply notes he did not graduate.  I suppose they could be contacted, but their records might not go back that far.  

It looks like Jim may have attended the school at the same time as Sharon Tate, but she was a couple of years behind him.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alameda_High_School

#3 stoned immaculate

stoned immaculate

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

I have read that he was very good at the butterfly stroke, which is a very hard stroke and which takes a lot of upper body muscle,in A Feast Of Friends by Frank Lisciandro,it says he made the junior varsity swim team his first year at Alameda High School.

#4 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (stoned immaculate @ Oct 13 2010, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have read that he was very good at the butterfly stroke, which is a very hard stroke and which takes a lot of upper body muscle,in A Feast Of Friends by Frank Lisciandro,it says he made the junior varsity swim team his first year at Alameda High School.

Shot of young Jim swim team photo.T

http://www.doors.com/door_mem/jdm_lithos/

#5 stoned immaculate

stoned immaculate

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the link, Mojosmoothly it's a great picture

#6 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (stoned immaculate @ Oct 13 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the link, Mojosmoothly it's a great picture

Your welcome,little Jimmy was pensive.The rock hall of fame displays his varsity letter so he must have competed for at least a couple of years.Best TS

#7 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 13 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your welcome,little Jimmy was pensive.The rock hall of fame displays his varsity letter so he must have competed for at least a couple of years.Best TS

He was Thurberesque.

#8 bikerbrom

bikerbrom

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 13 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was Thurberesque.

William Thurber: a cartoonist I'd never heard of before today: less wild but more weird than Gary Larson 'far side' cartoons,
-Here's an article trying to unpick how Thurber got his ideas.
http://www.compedit.com/raskin1.htm
quote from the article: "a dreamlike intrusion of the . . . fantastic into the commonplace," as one commentator has suggested.

#9 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

Here's the seal bark cartoon.  If you google James Thurber and then on Images, you'll get loads more.  He was a prolific writer, mostly in the humorous vein.  Used to be one of my all-time favorites when I was a kid.  Probably one of Jim's as well.  

#10 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 13 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a picture of Jim with Adidas shoes..I'll try and find it and post.

I would say he had a very athelic body, even when he was heavier

#11 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Oct 15 2010, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember reading somewhere that he was about 185 when he first went to UCLA and referred to himself as "a beast."

#12 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember reading somewhere that he was about 185 when he first went to UCLA and referred to himself as "a beast."

It was part of the Howard Jones interview. It always makes me laugh when I listen to it laugh.gif Here's my interpretation. The bit in red, I can't quite catch.

You know, thats something that really bothers me. Whats wrong with being fat? Thats what I wanna know - why is there such - why is it so onerous to be fat? Um I dont see anything wrong with fat, you know? I mean, I remember when I used to weigh 185 pounds. I was the same height as I am now and I weighed 185 pounds, and I was going to college and I had this food ticket at the cafeteria, and the cafeteria food is mainly all based on starch. Its cheap food right? And so I dont know what is was, but in order I dont know, I just felt like I was - if you missed your meal, I just figured I was getting screwed right?  If I missed a meal I just blew it. So Id get up a 6.30 every morning just to make breakfast. Eggs and grits and sausages and toast and milk, then Id go and do a few classes and Id make a ........for lunch, mashed potatoes, er, you know every now and then theyd put a piece of meat or something  you know, and Id go to a few more classes ..and then Id go to dinner and it was more mashed potatoes . And so about three months later I was 185 pounds. And you know what? I felt so great, I felt like a tank, you know? I felt like a, like a large mammal, a big beast. When I moved through the corridors or across the lawn Id just feel like er, I could knock anybody away, you know? I was solid man! Its terrible to be thin and wispy because, you know you could get knocked over by a strong wind or something you know? Fat is beautiful . Do you wanna compare biceps?

#13 stoned immaculate

stoned immaculate

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

That is one of my favourite parts of the interview,i am definitely going to try and get that interview,only about 5 minutes of it is on youtube,but there is a transcript of it on one of the websites.

#14 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Can't find that damn picture of Jim in his runners, It's going to drive me nuts now!!

#15 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like heavier guys I guess, scrawny doesnt do it for me I guess..

#16 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Oct 15 2010, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jim in adidas sneakers was in Hermosa beach or Redondo beach shortly before his exit to Paris,he was about to play touch football w his friends,that pic exists in the photo book "Feast Of Friends" Frank Lusciandro".Another form of exercise for Mojo was extensive walks around whatever city he was in,numerous stories of roaming around L.A.,one can't ignore his rigorous exercise schedule involving sex,it beats a stairmaster anyday of the week.T

#17 stoned immaculate

stoned immaculate

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

Hi Helen ,Jim says I'd make it in there for lunch.

#18 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Helen @ Oct 15 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was part of the Howard Jones interview. It always makes me laugh when I listen to it laugh.gif Here's my interpretation. The bit in red, I can't quite catch.

You know, thats something that really bothers me. Whats wrong with being fat? Thats what I wanna know - why is there such - why is it so onerous to be fat? Um I dont see anything wrong with fat, you know? I mean, I remember when I used to weigh 185 pounds. I was the same height as I am now and I weighed 185 pounds, and I was going to college and I had this food ticket at the cafeteria, and the cafeteria food is mainly all based on starch. Its cheap food right? And so I dont know what is was, but in order I dont know, I just felt like I was - if you missed your meal, I just figured I was getting screwed right?  If I missed a meal I just blew it. So Id get up a 6.30 every morning just to make breakfast. Eggs and grits and sausages and toast and milk, then Id go and do a few classes and Id make a ........for lunch, mashed potatoes, er, you know every now and then theyd put a piece of meat or something  you know, and Id go to a few more classes ..and then Id go to dinner and it was more mashed potatoes . And so about three months later I was 185 pounds. And you know what? I felt so great, I felt like a tank, you know? I felt like a, like a large mammal, a big beast. When I moved through the corridors or across the lawn Id just feel like er, I could knock anybody away, you know? I was solid man! Its terrible to be thin and wispy because, you know you could get knocked over by a strong wind or something you know? Fat is beautiful . Do you wanna compare biceps?

Interesting comments, based on what's happening with obesity in America these days, let alone everywhere else in the civilized world.  He was only 185, but felt he was 'fat,' even though he was about 6' tall.  Sounds like Jim put on the 'freshman 15.'  He liked those big Southern breakfasts!  Yet, he made what seems to be a conscious decision to shed all that weight during his rooftop summer, and showed up looking considerably lighter.  165?  

Drew Carey recently lost about 80 lbs, and looks very good, weighs about 185, but wants to lose another 15.

#19 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Oct 15 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting comments, based on what's happening with obesity in America these days, let alone everywhere else in the civilized world.  He was only 185, but felt he was 'fat,' even though he was about 6' tall.  Sounds like Jim put on the 'freshman 15.'  He liked those big Southern breakfasts!  Yet, he made what seems to be a conscious decision to shed all that weight during his rooftop summer, and showed up looking considerably lighter.  165?  

Drew Carey recently lost about 80 lbs, and looks very good, weighs about 185, but wants to lose another 15.

Yes Drew Carey had open heart surgery about 8 years ago,clogged arteries,all that weight can be bad for the heart.Now Jim shedding his weight in Venice pre Doors may be attributed to the mass intake of LSD and no cafeteria food,of course as one becomes alchoholic food gets replaced w booze as the system shifts to burning those negative calories in an attempt to survive,later cocaine probably played a role in his return to a slimmer body pre Paris,the man had a lust for life and that's for sure.T

#20 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Oct 15 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Drew Carey had open heart surgery about 8 years ago,clogged arteries,all that weight can be bad for the heart.Now Jim shedding his weight in Venice pre Doors may be attributed to the mass intake of LSD and no cafeteria food,of course as one becomes alchoholic food gets replaced w booze as the system shifts to burning those negative calories in an attempt to survive,later cocaine probably played a role in his return to a slimmer body pre Paris,the man had a lust for life and that's for sure.T

I can only imagine what gastronomical delights Jim was able to enjoy in Paris!  Croque Monsieurs by the barrow-load!  Let alone all the good wine, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users