Oscar Wilde

#2 MistyJm

MistyJm

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Helen, the photo's are amazing! Thank you for posting these.

#3 Next Little Girl

Next Little Girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Yes, Lovely pics...

Did you take these?

~Sheri

#4 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (MistyJm @ Aug 25 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Helen, the photo's are amazing! Thank you for posting these.

QUOTE (Next Little Girl @ Aug 25 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, Lovely pics...

Did you take these?

~Sheri

Glad you like them. Yes, I have just returned from a trip to Paris. I have been to Pere Lachaise once before and its a beautiful cemetery. Unfortunately, the usual photos of Jim Morrisons grave don't put across the overall serenity and wonderful atmosphere that the place has. I took these photos to try and capture it. Jim Morrison rests in a beautiful place smile.gif I have to add we were very lucky in that it was a lovely day and the sun was shining most of the time.

#5 Next Little Girl

Next Little Girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Cool Helen,

I think these are the nicest photos of his gravesight I've seen. Great atmosphere in these. I love the wrought iron medalion and Ocar Wilde's grave looks adored with what looks to be hundreds of kisses.

~Sheri

#6 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Next Little Girl @ Aug 25 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool Helen,

I think these are the nicest photos of his gravesight I've seen. Great atmosphere in these. I love the wrought iron medalion and Ocar Wilde's grave looks adored with what looks to be hundreds of kisses.

~Sheri

They indeed are hundreds of red and pink lipstick kisses on Oscar Wildes monument smile.gif

#7 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

It's tradition to kiss Oscar's grave, isn't it?  Great photos, Helen.  Thanks!  

It's a bit of a shame that Jim's grave is in a somewhat unbeautiful part of the cemetery - among French Resistance fighters, I think.  However, they get the benefit of many visitors, where otherwise they would have been long neglected and forgotten, in all likelihood.

#8 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Aug 26 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's tradition to kiss Oscar's grave, isn't it? Great photos, Helen. Thanks!

It's a bit of a shame that Jim's grave is in a somewhat unbeautiful part of the cemetery - among French Resistance fighters, I think. However, they get the benefit of many visitors, where otherwise they would have been long neglected and forgotten, in all likelihood.

Oscar Wilde was as popular as JM in terms of visitors! Yes, I think you're right about it being tradition to kiss OW's grave. People had also left little notes on ledges for Oscar, weighted down with stones.

Here are some further photos I took in close proximity to JM's grave site. They give you a better idea of its immediate surroundings within the cemetery. There weren't any security police in view. Maybe security is increased each year on 8 December and 3 July.

This photo was taken from the back of JM's grave site. The white flowers are on his
headstone piece and again, you can see the railings.

This is the side of JM's grave site, clearly identified by the railings

This one taken from the back and side

Jim Morrison's grave site is very close to the forground of this photo. The man on the path wearing the white shirt has just walked away from it.

#9 hollifer

hollifer

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

yes, nice photos! i visited over 5 years ago in early July and there was a guard there, but no barrier. i recall about 15 or so hippies dressed very colorfully, dancing and tambourine playing on their way to jim's place.

it is a very beautiful cemetery. i highly recommend a stroll through it.

i really like that mugshot pic of jim. it showcases his lovely features. i'm jealous of that nose.

#10 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Nice pics.  Brings back memories of when I was there.  Thanks for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users