28 replies to this topic

#1 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

For me, the single most amazing thing about seeing 'When You're Strange' at my local cinema, was seeing Doors footage on the big screen. It is a first in my experience - memerising. It was FANTASTIC to see quality clips from HWY.

If 'When You're Strange' has had any real impact on me, it's that I now want to see HWY in it's entirety, a good quality version, on the big screen, as it must have originally intended to be seen. Jim Morrison described it as a beautiful film. The bootleg bad copies could never do it justice.

My question is, what do people think the liklihood of HWY ever being released for the big screen is?

#2 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Bahh I wouln't hold my breath.

It takes money and the approval of the person who owns the right..and I think Anne does.

#3 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Jul 6 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It takes money and the approval of the person who owns the right..and I think Anne does.

Who is Anne?

#4 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

Jim's sister

#5 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

Doh! Of course!

#6 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

The Estate is mostly administered by Dylan Graham, Jim's nephew.  Anne certainly is aware of what's happening, but she leaves the day-to-day operations to him.

#7 TheDoorsMusic

TheDoorsMusic

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Just reading through the WYS DVD Liner notes and I see that Dylan was acknowledged.

#8 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Helen @ Jul 6 2010, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is, what do people think the liklihood of HWY ever being released for the big screen is?

The question of a HWY release on DVD has been discussed since 2000 when I first came to the Net and likely before Helen.

As a big screen release I don't recall that ever being put forward so it's an interesting variation on that theme.

My answer to your question must be very unlikely unless as part of an anniversary such as next years 40th.

It would depend on the will of these people to take a chance on the art rather than the profit of Jim Morrison.
I think it would be a great idea even though HWY bores the arce off me.

Have it on in small theatres in large cities over a weekend in conjunction with perhaps a poetry reading consisting of Morrison's poetry sessions and maybe fan and celebrity readings.
Now that would engage my interest and I would bust a gut to attend that.

Instead of the tired old money friendly usual old mooching crap something like that would reinvigorate Doors fans especially next year.

Could it happen? Well Helen this is your chance to start a movement.
Who knows with enough Doors fans on your side maybe you could become the Doors fan legend who brought us some integrity in among all the bullshit.

#9 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

But yet again I'm sure if his mother (Anne) would say no to the release I am sure he would honour her decision.

Anyways, for things like this you always need money and unfortunately it does not grow on trees.....If it would I would have a huge kick ass pool in my back yard biggrin.gif

#10 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Jul 7 2010, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But yet again I'm sure if his mother (Anne) would say no to the release he would honour her decision.

Anyways, for things like this you always need money and unfortunately it does not grow on trees.....If it would I would have a huge kick ass pool in my back yard biggrin.gif

I don't know that Dylan would roll over and cooperate just because Anne said "No."   I think they'd probably have a discussion about the merits, and then make the decision from there.

I'm in the Alex camp as to subject matter of HWY.  Very dated stuff, but if you want to see what Jim was up to in those days, then it's - ahem - historically interesting from that perspective.

#11 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

I love the quality of HWY so crystal clear.
It would be nice to see it, I always imagined with barely any script for some reasonÖmore of picture film.

But yet again if they would release it they would have to find money and pay people to coordinate things and publicise it and I am sure it would come out in a certain way and some fans would complain blah blah..

And now adays itís more about big blockbusters and the film would only be seen by fans so most likely the person who fund the movie in the end would lose money.

#12 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

Sorry Mews I just re-read my post and I forgot a few words in there...If I was in Dylan's position and my Mother would say no..so any reason I would not release it.

#13 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Jul 7 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now adays itís more about big blockbusters and the film would only be seen by fans so most likely the person who fund the movie in the end would lose money.

Yes but the person who funds the four/five parties to the tune of at least a mill a year each lies in a grave that looks like it is dying of shame at the antics of these bastards.

Maybe a bit of redemption would come from them making a bit of a loss celebrating the Poet in 2011 rather than disparaging the man all the time.

Without the dead bloke this distasteful crew would have to get jobs and not be able to sit around on thier arces.

Considering how much the stiff has brought in since the 70s it would be a little effort and outlay to say thank you by showing his film and playing his poetry to a Doors audience as a celebration of his life.
I remember in 2002 on July 4th saying just that whilst standing on my own at the grave and I meant it from the heart for all the guy gave me as a fan which did not include one cent in income.
These greedy pack of bastards take plenty but could not even be arced to send for a few flowers and a card on the mans grave last week.

#14 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Jul 7 2010, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Mews I just re-read my post and I forgot a few words in there...If I was in Dylan's position and my Mother would say no..so any reason I would not release it.

I suppose it would depend on your relationship with your mother!  I think Anne probably trusts Dylan to do the right thing when it comes to the Estate.  He's been around it all of his life and knows by now what is appropriate and what is not.  

As far as releasing HWY, it would be better as a DVD or Blu-Ray or whatever.  With all these big screen televisions nowadays, and high-def, etc. it would play very nicely in a home theater environment.

#15 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jul 7 2010, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would depend on the will of these people to take a chance on the art rather than the profit of Jim Morrison.
I think it would be a great idea even though HWY bores the arce off me.

I just think seeing HWY on the big screen would really transform it. It's what I'd call an arthouse film. These often rely heavily on the visual element and to get the effect it has to be seen on a big screen (think Koyaanisqatsi) http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/koyaanisqatsi.php

And yes, it should be publicised as an art piece, not as a blockbuster movie. I'd be up for it being put out as DVD afterwards, but I still want to see it on the big screen in my local arthouse cinema tongue.gif

Mewsical - I only have a litte house. Anything bigger than my 32 inch screen TV wouldn't fit in my living room sad.gif

Anyone got Dylan's address so I can write and suggest it? wink.gif

#16 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Helen @ Jul 7 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yes, it should be publicised as an art piece, not as a blockbuster movie. I'd be up for it being put out as DVD afterwards, but I still want to see it on the big screen in my local arthouse cinema tongue.gif

It would work well as some kind of tribute tour for 2011. maybe show both HWY and FOF together with maybe a talk by a Door or guys like Lisciandro, some poetry and play some Doors music.
Maybe something never before heard from the archive.
I am sure there would be theatres here interested in that for 'one night only' showings and certainly in America.

It could be made into a big thing given the right publicity. By which I mean not mentioning shaman, Jimbos, elephants in the room or Dionysus.
I think something like that would reinvigorate The Doors community who from what I see and hear are fed up with the lies and bullshit and exploitation and are crying out for something decent to support Doors wise.

QUOTE (Helen @ Jul 7 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone got Dylan's address so I can write and suggest it? wink.gif

First place to start Helen is PM that invisible waste of space Jampol and see if he can take time from his busy schedule of spying on this site (yes Jeff we see you!), peddling his bullshit to Janis Joplin fans and promoting fraudulent film makers to help you out.

Personally I would not trust him with the contents of my dustbin but he is supposed to be The Doors manager so is the logical place to begin.
I wish you good luck in your quest smile.gif

#17 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jul 8 2010, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
&lt;br /&gt;It would work well as some kind of tribute tour for 2011. maybe show both HWY and FOF together with maybe a talk by a Door or guys like Lisciandro, some poetry and play some Doors music. &lt;br /&gt;Maybe something never before heard from the archive.&lt;br /&gt;I am sure there would be theatres here interested in that for 'one night only' showings and certainly in America. &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;It could be made into a big thing given the right publicity. By which I mean not mentioning shaman, Jimbos, elephants in the room or Dionysus.&lt;br /&gt;I think something like that would reinvigorate The Doors community who from what I see and hear are fed up with the lies and bullshit and exploitation and are crying out for something decent to support Doors wise.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;First place to start Helen is PM that invisible waste of space Jampol and see if he can take time from his busy schedule of spying on this site (yes Jeff we see you!), peddling his bullshit to Janis Joplin fans and promoting fraudulent film makers to help you out. &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Personally I would not trust him with the contents of my dustbin but he is supposed to be The Doors manager so is the logical place to begin.&lt;br /&gt;I wish you good luck in your quest

If I remember rightly, Jim Morrison once said something along the lines that at 50 mins duration, HWY wasn't long enough to be a full feature, but that perhaps it could be suitable for use as an educational film. I'm sure I also read somewhere that HWY might be appreciated more by students of film rather than Doors fans because elements of it related to film theory in some way that would be understood by film students. Does anyone know where I might have read that? I can't remember.

#18 hollifer

hollifer

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

whatever is done, make sure HWY never enters an AMC theater! this is defintiely an arthouse film. funny, i was just thinking yesterday of how the doors much better suits the small venues and 'arthouse' types rather than an arena band.

#19 bobw

bobw

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Helen @ Jul 8 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I remember rightly, Jim Morrison once said something along the lines that at 50 mins duration, HWY wasn't long enough to be a full feature, but that perhaps it could be suitable for use as an educational film. I'm sure I also read somewhere that HWY might be appreciated more by students of film rather than Doors fans because elements of it related to film theory in some way that would be understood by film students. Does anyone know where I might have read that? I can't remember.

Yep, he did...its on that interview with Ben Fong Torres....I clearly remember Jim saying that!!!

#20 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (bobw @ Jul 8 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, he did...its on that interview with Ben Fong Torres....I clearly remember Jim saying that!!!

Yes I do definitely remember hearing it, so it must have been in the interview you mention.

Has anyone read The Lizard King Was Here, by Mark Opsasnick ? Is it here that the author says that HWY might be appreciated more by students of film rather than by Doors fans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users