60 replies to this topic

#1 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

JOHN DENSMORE   June 2010 e-mail interview with THODORIS ROGER-FAN of Greek's web radio    www.xlr8net.com  
       1. The documentary "When You're Strange" is   playing in film festivals and cinemas around the world with great reviews. A   few days ago, you were in the Paris premier. Are you happy with the final   result of the film and the feedback you receive from viewers?   JD: I'm very happy with "When You're Strange".

2. A book written by you will be released in   Autumn. Will it be a novel? Can you tell us some things about what the story   is about?JD: "The Doors: Unhinged Rock n'   Roll Goes Up On Trial" is the title... it's non-fiction.

3. Some years about you released "Tribaljazz" album which combines jazz with   African music. It was something you wanted to have made for years. Why it   took you so long? Will be a follow-up in the future? Do you still enjoy   playing rock music or you feel more comfortable with jazz?

JD:
Tribaljazz was a   dream come true... now back into writing.

4.Thousands people around the world appreciate your music. Is there any   chance of touring in the near future?

JD: Not much

5.In 2007, you said that The Doors will reunite only with   Eddie Vedder on vocals   and that he most likely, will accept the invitation if would be any. What   happened with this? It is possible a Doors reunion?  (I pray for this   )

JD: No reunion unless Jim comes back...

6. What music do you hear these days? Is there   any newer artist or band who you like?

JD:
I like world   music

7. And as I know you have great humor: Did people in 60's and 70's when you   had a moustache, thought you're in fact,   George Harrison?? (   Sorry   for my English)

JD: I love      George Harrison

http://www.idafan.com/john-greek_interview.htm

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

"The Doors: Unhinged Rock n' Roll Goes Up On Trial"

I posted this title here months ago after Record Collector magazine revealed the title to be "The Doors: Unhinged Rock n' Roll On Trial" in a UK Doors special and Jim said that the title was not set in stone yet.
Seems it was apart from the “Goes Up" bit laugh.gif
I like the RC title as it sums up the last decade perfectly....the "Goes Up" bit slightly extraneous for me.
I look 4wd to getting my copy.
But then I said the very same when I got my copy of Ray's Poet In Exile  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

#3 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 20 2010, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JOHN DENSMORE   June 2010 e-mail interview with THODORIS ROGER-FAN of Greek's web radio    www.xlr8net.com  
       1. The documentary "When You're Strange" is   playing in film festivals and cinemas around the world with great reviews. A   few days ago, you were in the Paris premier. Are you happy with the final   result of the film and the feedback you receive from viewers?   JD: I'm very happy with "When You're Strange".

very happy with the film.  At least the 3 of them agree on something and maybe not a wasted exercise.  Ray and john are not fighting over who is trying to "sell something".  the doors still have a story to tell.

2. A book written by you will be released in   Autumn. Will it be a novel? Can you tell us some things about what the story   is about?JD: "The Doors: Unhinged Rock n'   Roll Goes Up On Trial" is the title... it's non-fiction.

hmmm...non fiction so riders of the storm was also non fiction and the truth from john's heart.  I hope we will not be bombarded by the trial and those jim is still alive rumours or so called money making myths.  Or is this an update on his feelings towards his ex-bandmates who are probably ex-friends.  Maybe a prelude to robby's new book?

3. Some years about you released "Tribaljazz" album which combines jazz with   African music. It was something you wanted to have made for years. Why it   took you so long? Will be a follow-up in the future? Do you still enjoy   playing rock music or you feel more comfortable with jazz?

JD:
Tribaljazz was a   dream come true... now back into writing.

this was a great listening exercise i agree, not so new avenue as already a jazz/rock drummer.

4.Thousands people around the world appreciate your music. Is there any   chance of touring in the near future?
        JD: Not much

5.In 2007, you said that The Doors will reunite only with   Eddie Vedder on vocals   and that he most likely, will accept the invitation if would be any. What   happened with this? It is possible a Doors reunion?  (I pray for this   )
        JD: No reunion unless Jim comes back...

Jim coming back?.  Isn't it time we all grew up.  Its nearly been 40 years already and the 3 doors have played together over the years.  Morrison is not coming back.  The doors myth marches on.
     6. What music do you hear these days? Is there   any newer artist or band who you like?

JD:
I like world   music

7. And as I know you have great humor: Did people in 60's and 70's when you   had a moustache, thought you're in fact,   George Harrison?? (   Sorry   for my English)
        JD: I love      George Harrison

interesting question.  Many tried to look like the beatles and john what a good look you had with the mo and long hair and comparison to the harrison.  I love harrison too.  He was also against selling songs for commercials another thing you had in common.

short and sweet answer but the bold for answers did confuse a little bit but made it shine.

http://www.idafan.com/john-greek_interview.htm
[/b]

#4 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

In 2002, when former Doors band members Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger decided to go on tour they used the name “The Doors” with a small subtitle “of the 21st Century.” The other remaining member of the The Doors, drummer John Densmore, objected.

Densmore felt that it was misleading to use the name of their classic rock band in such a way. He thought it betrayed the vision that the leader of the band, the late Jim Morrison, had always espoused. Densmore convinced Morrison’s estate to join him in suing Manzarek and Krieger to prevent them from using the band’s name in such a way ever again.  

The issue in the case, oddly for this day and age, was not money; it was artistic integrity. Morrison, before his death, was very clear about how their music should be managed: no compromising songs to advertise products. He was also clear about the fact that each member had veto power over all matters regarding The Doors.

Densmore takes the reader through the courtroom proceedings, as the estranged former band mates battle each other. What emerges is a tale of greed versus idealism, the desire to make money versus the need to protect an artistic vision. Through it all, the reader is captivated by the personality of Morrison, a riveting, flamboyant artist of his time who died too soon (age 27), but whose legacy endures.

#5 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

The ironic thing about this book has got to be that Doors fans have again got to pay to find out information that should have been available free through the official Doors forums.
Without the efforts of Sara Darkstar fans would not have had a clue about any of this other than the lies peddled on the official Doors forum by Ray's pals.

Now Mr Integrity after over 5 years decides to share what he knows but of course at a price.
Whether it's having to pay to be in the same room as Manzarek and Krieger or having to fork out cash to find out what these three fuckers have been up to with all their courtroom carry ons it's always about the cash with this crew.

Now I supported JD from the off and still do in principle but it wrankles when the only way to find out anything about the sewer my favourite band has been dragged through is to pay 11 quid.

Considering that high principles were supposed to be at stake back in 2003 it still ends up about the cash.
I have already pre ordered the book and really do look forward to reading it but the ironic hypocrisy of it's publication does not escape me in the slightest laugh.gif

I wonder if that will be the cover as surely Bongo needs permission from the other two to promote a book with a Doors image which will basically slag the shit out of them?

#6 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting the cover photo. I don't know much about the laws regarding use of images, but wouldn't he have to get permission from the photographer who I believe in this case would be Joel Brodsky. The cover may still be tweaked as I noticed that the line "Rock N' Roll Goes Up on Trial" is not included in the title on the cover. I'm curious about the last line of the synopsis: "Through it all, the reader is captivated by the personality of Morrison, a riveting, flamboyant artist of his time who died too soon (age 27), but whose legacy endures." Obviously, this book is going to be about the courtroom drama. Perhaps the narrative will flash back and forth, linking Jim's suggestion that all decisions be unanimous, all the money be shared equally and his reaction to the Buick Opel deal with what transpired in the courtroom.

#7 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 21 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for posting the cover photo. I don't know much about the laws regarding use of images, but wouldn't he have to get permission from the photographer who I believe in this case would be Joel Brodsky. The cover may still be tweaked as I noticed that the line "Rock N' Roll Goes Up on Trial" is not included in the title on the cover. I'm curious about the last line of the synopsis: "Through it all, the reader is captivated by the personality of Morrison, a riveting, flamboyant artist of his time who died too soon (age 27), but whose legacy endures." Obviously, this book is going to be about the courtroom drama. Perhaps the narrative will flash back and forth, linking Jim's suggestion that all decisions be unanimous, all the money be shared equally and his reaction to the Buick Opel deal with what transpired in the courtroom.

No, when something like a photo is used as a book cover, CD/album cover it is assumed the photo is for promotional use and can be used without attribution.

I missed this earlier today but I wrote it up as a Doors Examiner article. I think I did some good writing in it, let me know. John Densmore, The Doors: Unhinged

#8 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 22 2010, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, when something like a photo is used as a book cover, CD/album cover it is assumed the photo is for promotional use and can be used without attribution.

I missed this earlier today but I wrote it up as a Doors Examiner article. I think I did some good writing in it, let me know. John Densmore, The Doors: Unhinged

I read it and enjoyed it. I agree that it will create some controversy, but I think that's a good thing. It might get some interesting discussions going. Of course, those discussions might not get very far over on the Lizard Lounge before the threads are closed. When the whole thing broke back in late 2002, there were a lot of heated exchanges over there that lasted for a few years before a lot of people were driven away.

#9 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 21 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read it and enjoyed it. I agree that it will create some controversy, but I think that's a good thing. It might get some interesting discussions going. Of course, those discussions might not get very far over on the Lizard Lounge before the threads are closed. When the whole thing broke back in late 2002, there were a lot of heated exchanges over there that lasted for a few years before a lot of people were driven away.

I remember it well. Hopefully it will add to the debate of art vs. business, or selling out your visions.

#10 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 22 2010, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let the rants flow here as we always allow...but hopefully we can keep away from the ad hominem attacks.

#11 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 21 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully it will indeed spark some very lively debate as this is a subject that needs a very lively debate.
It's we the fans (on both sides of the fence) who have had to bear the brunt of this ridiculous spat over nothing and we the fans who bear the major scars after the Three Amigos retired to thier tents and to thier bank accounts to figure out ways to make up the shortfall.
We are the ones who are damaged perhaps beyond repair not Bongo, Manzo and Robbo.
We are the ones patronised by that insulting bullshit at the top of Official Doors forums berating US as if WE are the primary cause of the damage to The Doors Internet world whilst the three real culprits get rich(er) from our endeavours and from the back of a dead bloke.
I support JD in this and always will but still see hypocrisy as I don't view my side through rose tinted shades.
For years now John said nothing about this whilst Ray (and Robby) just lied as usual in thier interviews. We as fans were not worthy of being informed about an event that impacted more upon us as we were the front line troops in the battle and the ones who really felt the effects of the hate.
Manzarek has hated Bongo long before any of this and Robbo has been siding with him for many a year over the selling of The Doors.
Now we are deemed worthy of being informed about all this but as usual at a price.
It's always about the book deal with these people.
Manzarek showed contempt for the court when he answered 'part two' to questions and who knows maybe Ray will write a rebutal of Doors Unhinged.
Krieger is writing his book after so long saying he would not which will add to anticipation.....and sales.
Plenty of milking of the wallets to do and all these books will benefit from 2011 and the big Morrison 40 year Mooch.
Debate is good all the same it might heal a few rifts between us fans.
I care nothing whether The Three Amigos bury any hatchets as they are too far gone for any redemption.
But I enjoy talking and arguing with Doors fans and do hope we can come together next year and find common ground being Doors fans smile.gif

#12 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

Thank you, Alex for posting the information regarding John Densmore's new book.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  As you know John did not command an audience while the trial was going on as proven by the limited amount of interviews he granted.  

$16.95 is a bargin as far as I'm concerned because the cost for the actual trial documents that I did secure was at least 10 times that amount.

I agree that following the release of John's book there will be alot of discussion not only on the Doors forums but the press as well.  It will be very easy for journalists to recall this time period in Doors history as the verdict was just passed down 5 years ago.

I believed in John Densmore's cause from the first filing of the lawsuit on February 4 2003 all the way to present. There were some people, self proclaimed insiders during this time period who claimed to have all of the information concerning the lawsuit and its principals. They even knew the verdict.  Of course they could not offer any concrete evidence to back up their claims but insisted that their information was true and correct.  I read these postings and thought, without any creditable evidence to the claims that are being made there has to be more information out there for comparison, so I set off to find it.  For better or worse I did alot of research into the cause and effect of this time period and with the exception of just a few articles/interviews I have shared all of my research and my documents with other Doors fans.

During my research, I purchased a court document that revealed the March 1971 Agreement & Amendment and I knew it was important to John's case but I had no idea just how important until July 2005 when the judgment was handed down by the court.  It was only by luck that I got a hold of this document because there were hundreds of pages offered by the courts for sale on this case but they did not allow the purchaser to "preview" any documents prior to purchase so you really did not know what you were getting for your money until you paid for and downloaded it.

Alex and Jym do you remember when we first saw the document that contained the mention of the '71 Agreement & Amendent?  I remember Alex's words were "holy shit"!

Considering John's book is just a few months away from release I'll either find an existing thread to post the missing articles to or I will start a new one and just post them one after another.   The missing articles will not really tell much that people do not already know but they will complete the collection that I have.

#13 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 22 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex and Jym do you remember when we first saw the document that contained the mention of the '71 Agreement & Amendent?  I remember Alex's words were "holy shit"!

laugh.gif  still think that! I wait with anticipation to see which way Bongo spins that one.
Pity for him is that half The Doors world won't buy his book as they hate his guts.
It remains to be seen just how much affect this has on the perceptions regarding the trial.
There are still people who believe Ray and Robby triumphed and the Judge just over ruled the Jury.
Manzo is a crafty little devil and has the ear of more Doors fans than Bongo as he 'owns' the Doors Official Forum.......maybe he will just pass it off as John being jealous that he can't play LMF.
laugh.gif  laugh.gif

#14 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jun 22 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif  still think that! I wait with anticipation to see which way Bongo spins that one.
Pity for him is that half The Doors world won't buy his book as they hate his guts.
It remains to be seen just how much affect this has on the perceptions regarding the trial.
There are still people who believe Ray and Robby triumphed and the Judge just over ruled the Jury.
Manzo is a crafty little devil and has the ear of more Doors fans than Bongo as he 'owns' the Doors Official Forum.......maybe he will just pass it off as John being jealous that he can't play LMF.
laugh.gif  laugh.gif

With John releasing this new book it will give Manzarek and Krieger cause to publish their own rebuttal to the arguements.  This may pave the way for the Non-Supporting-Densmore fans to actually buy a copy of John's book as a means of defense for Manzarek and Krieger.  

Next year is the 40th what better way to show support for their fallen comrade than for each to publish a new book.  

#15 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 22 2010, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With John releasing this new book it will give Manzarek and Krieger cause to publish their own rebuttal to the arguements.  This may pave the way for the Non-Supporting-Densmore fans to actually buy a copy of John's book as a means of defense for Manzarek and Krieger.  

Next year is the 40th what better way to show support for their fallen comrade than for each to publish a new book.

I imagine that Robby will address the lawsuit at the end of his book. He said recently that his book should be finished by the end of the year. Assuming that he reads John's book in the fall, he may tag on a rebuttal as he is finishing his book.

#16 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 22 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the proverbial "smoking gun" document. Even without that amendment John still might have won because of the precedence of an one of them being able to veto.

#17 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 22 2010, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trouble is Manzarek is the media Darling of The Doors world and is pretty much never questioned when he spouts his lies and his bullshit. The media love him as talking to him is like a one man 40 car pile up on the motorway. Once his mouth gets going, as they used to say on the old Stingray kids TV show, 'anything can happen in the next half hour'.

He will likely as not turn any serious debate into his usual childish trivialities. 'Densmore can't hack it as a drummer anymore and is jealous of Robby and me. Do you know that Jim Morrison always disliked him and it was only my intervention that stopped Jim firing him from the band? He was the least important member of the band anyway and its karma that he no longer is a member. Jim would love to be a member of mine and Robby’s band and the new singer is from the same Dionysian psychic plane as Morrison and is a Buddhist, martial arts expert who loves native Americans whereas it's rumoured Densmore is actually of French descent and therefore an un-American. Twat!'
Or something along those lines  laugh.gif

#18 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 22 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine that Robby will address the lawsuit at the end of his book. He said recently that his book should be finished by the end of the year. Assuming that he reads John's book in the fall, he may tag on a rebuttal as he is finishing his book.

Good point.    

I'm sure next year we will see a lot of debate not only on the forums both fan and official sites but also the press will be sure to chime in their thoughts as well.

#19 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jun 23 2010, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trouble is Manzarek is the media Darling of The Doors world and is pretty much never questioned when he spouts his lies and his bullshit. The media love him as talking to him is like a one man 40 car pile up on the motorway. Once his mouth gets going, as they used to say on the old Stingray kids TV show, 'anything can happen in the next half hour'.

He will likely as not turn any serious debate into his usual childish trivialities. 'Densmore can't hack it as a drummer anymore and is jealous of Robby and me. Do you know that Jim Morrison always disliked him and it was only my intervention that stopped Jim firing him from the band? He was the least important member of the band anyway and its karma that he no longer is a member. Jim would love to be a member of mine and Robby’s band and the new singer is from the same Dionysian psychic plane as Morrison and is a Buddhist, martial arts expert who loves native Americans whereas it's rumoured Densmore is actually of French descent and therefore an un-American. Twat!'
Or something along those lines  laugh.gif

As we have witnessed in the past the more this man opens his mouth the more he sets himself up for critism.  It seems fair to say that the adjectives used to describe "a new product", be it a DVD, CD, New Singer, etc., have always been dealt out in such a way as to entice fans to make a purchase of some kind.  Be it concert tickets or merchandise the sales pitch hinges on the similarities and comparisons that can be made to Jim Morrison. After all these years you would think there would be some other avenues to be explored in these marketing campaigns other than the obvious that has saturated the advertising for decades.

#20 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

"This is a time when we all are focusing on the truth, whether in politics or our personal lives. There is no reason why the truth should not be told when discussing this iconic band."
S. Jerome Mandel email to John DeBella DJ with for 102.9 WMGK in regards Ray Manzarek interview September 2008.

see post #50
http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?sh...amp;#entry44471
for full email.

There is indeed no reason why the truth should not be told when discussing this iconic band
But it's interesting that the truth has been withheld from Doors fans by The Doors since the verdict in 2005 and was not even hinted at before it.
All we have had is lies and silence.
Makes you think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users