John Densmore and Doors related Forum

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: What is Your Interest in This forum? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you visit this forum?

1. Once a day (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Once a week (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Once a month (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. several times a day (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. several times a week (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. Whenever I can (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Now and then if the mood takes me (0 votes [0.00%])

8. A couple of times a year. (0 votes [0.00%])

9. the place is of no interest to me. (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think this forum is

1. essential (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. interesting (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. reasonable (0 votes [0.00%])

4. just about OK (0 votes [0.00%])

5. could be better (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. dull (0 votes [0.00%])

7. little or no interest to me (0 votes [0.00%])

8. a waste of my time (0 votes [0.00%])

What interests you here? U can choose more than one!

1. A Chance to question John Densmore in Talk To John (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. Jim Morrison topics (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. The Doors topics (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

4. The Poetry/Literarture section (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

5. General John Densmore topics (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. John Densmore Blog (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

7. General chit chat (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

8. Doors History section in particular (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

9. The photo section (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

10. John's current projects such as Tribal jazz (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Percussion Corner (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Discussion of John's book (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

What can be done to improve this forum?

If you are an interested Doors fan then give your suggestions as to what direction the forum should be going and what you think is wrong and right with the current format.

It has nearly 2000 members but barely 1% of that seems remotely interested.

If you are a member here itís your forum so express an opinion rather than just sitting on the fence.

Vote in the above poll and give the guys some information on what they are doing right or wrong in the form of comments and suggestions.
I would hate to see this place die but itís pretty much comatose as long as so called Doors fans cannot even take the time to spend one even short session a week contributing to discussions or starting new threads.

Polls notoriously garner about a dozen votes which reflect nothing worth even the typing of them out.....be nice for a change if those who come here try to help the forum move along rather than just leech from it.

Doors fans were once thought of as above average intelligence but I see little of that nowadays on Doors forums.

Recently I have thought that I could have better Doors debates with a tin of peaches than you lot with a few notable exceptions so it would be nice to be proved wrong.
If you are a Doors fan why not open your mouth as you may be surprised at what comes outÖ.or maybe not.

A Forum stands or falls by the membershipÖ.the membership here is a poor representation of Doors fans it would be nice for that to change.

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

I been a Doors fan for 40 odd years now and for 3/4 of that time never had any chance to talk about my fave band as all my mates were either scathing of or disinterested in The Doors.
It was not until 2000 when I joined the fray here on the Internet that I was able to talk to Doors fans and as a result call many of them friends and have met a fair number in the flesh.

I have seen some incredible discussion of The Doors and was able to participate in some amazing debates with some pretty extraordinary Doors fans.
Sadly that has pretty much ended now and Doors debate nowadays seems to revolve around the question of whether Morrison wore underpants and what type of pyjamas he wore in bed.
The sublime replaced by the trivial and the ridiculous.

It's a shame as there are a lot of fans out there but they don't seem to want to participate in discussions.
Which saddens me as I love discussing this band with fans.
I think a lot of it is down to the fact the last couple of generations seem to lack the skill of debating.
A smiley face and LOL not exactly at the cutting edge of discussion laugh.gif

I was lucky as I learned to compose an argument and articulate it intelligently in the school playground back in the 60s and was able to hone that skill in the workplace and the pub during the 70s until I can do it blindfold.
I find debate easy especially when I am interested in the subject.

I feel that a lot of Doors fans nowadays seem to fear debate and mistake argument for a dispute or a squabble and take it all too personally.
Argument is of course an important and essential part of debate as its an argument that comprises your position and the skill you display in defending your argument and analysing the standpoint of your opponent and countering it with that examination the basis of how you fare in the debate.

Doors forums have become dull in the extreme nowadays and this one no exception as fans prefer to hover around and not participate in any contribution to the well being of the forum. Thatís sad and I know how hard it is to keep a forum interesting as I have ran several of my own with varying success. I once had nearly 600 members on my Scorpywag forum but barely 2-dozen who ever posted on a regular basis.

All the Doors forums are the same ranging from stupefying dull on the Lizard Lounge Official Forum to the individual forums, which are just dull.

I have always been one to contribute heavily to Doors forums and have spent a lot of time over the last 10 years getting involved in the discussion side and have always been happy to share opinions and information with my fellow Doors fans and argue the toss with them about any Doors subject.

Sadly nowadays the forums are hardly ever worthy of time and effort and the blame lies with The Doors and their management who have pretty much destroyed the Doors community and driven away most of the best debaters and contributors leaving pretty much nothing worth calling Doors discussion across the 4 official Doors forums.

This place is fortunate as it has a couple of people who contribute a lot hereÖ..Darkstar shares some wonderful information and I do my bit to get the discussion going. But we and one or two other worthy of note seem to be about IT here!

Where are the once great Doors debaters and contributors?
What exactly has gone wrong with the forum concept?

Of course the fanbase is fragmented beyond repair as a consequence of the greed and ego of The Doors themselves but fans can surely discuss the band especially on a place like this, which has such enlightened open-minded leadership in Dianne and Jim.  Doors fans are lucky to have even one place to discuss the band nowadays as all the great forums are gone and the LL which was once a place to be for Doors fans now reduced to a toilet clogged up with those unfortunate blockages that usually are the consequence a large curry and 10 pints of Stella.

So what can be done to improve the place?
A more regular contribution from John Densmore for a startÖ..he seems to be able to spend lots of time on shoes and films but not on The Doors most important resourceÖitís fans.

So will we see any great vote here? I abstain as I put this here so am obviously interested and the point of this is to see your views not mine.

As for the rest over to you so called Doors fansÖÖdo any of you other than the regular handful of posters here have anything at all to say on the subject that is worth the time spent reading it?
I for one donít hold out any great hopes on that oneÖÖ  sad.gif

#3 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:34 AM

Thank you for starting the poll, Alex.  

I have given this forum just about everything I have collected.  Most of the replies are centered on the more controversal articles which some self appointed insiders from another forum would rather not see posted at all.  The evidence lies within the so called "Ray Bashing" topic of which GTLL kindly posted as a reference thread in hopes of quelling the misconceptions.

I have noticed that the page views are constant so people are looking at the threads but very little replies come from those views.

I keep posting the new articles I find and try to throw in some older ones when I can.  It is getting difficult for me to keep the forum stocked with a new article everyday but I do try.  Believe me it takes time to seek out new stuff to post here as the availability of articles has slimmed down over the years due to the insane saturation of The Doors marketing campaigns.  Just yesterday I was in a local record store and found a copy of the WYS soundtrack in the used bin for $4.99.

I do believe that 2011 the 40th anniversary will be the last gasp for a major cash grab campaign because in 2021 who knows how many fans will be left to even give a shit anymore.  

It will be interesting to see the results of the poll that was started.

#4 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 6 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do believe that 2011 the 40th anniversary will be the last gasp for a major cash grab campaign because in 2021 who knows how many fans will be left to even give a shit anymore.

I agree one last cash grab for these three and I would argue thatís about it for the gravy train.
The Doors fan of the 60s and 70s generation is dying out fast either as a result of death or disillusionment.

The motley crew that make up Doors PLC nowadays just a bunch of shabby opportunists who have milked the cow dry with their best of bullshit and alienated their customer base.

Next year will be the big one for them, which is why I started this topic, as I would expect a lot of interest from fans in the way there was in 2001. Except that the 2001 fan was a lot more active on forums than the 2011 counterpart.

I made this very point on the shoe thread I think when I pointed out to the so called manager that targeting the fair weather fan with puerile gimmicks whilst driving away the long time more committed fan was pretty stupid.
But pretty indicative of the way these idiots do things nowadays.
Get rid of the Doors fans on the Official Doors forum and replace them with people interested in Jim's pyjamas.
The word 'moronic' does not seem to do it justice somehow. laugh.gif

The chances that have been missed make you weep.....we should have seen the poetry and HWY and FOF and the BMR experience all come to fruition by now but still we are fobbed off with shoes and piss plaques by grubby little idiots on the make. Morrison the Meal-Ticket exploited at every opportunity.

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jun 6 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will be interesting to see the results of the poll that was started.

If it reaches double figures by Xmas I will be amazed.

#5 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

I've been a member of this board since at least day 2 of its existence, and I haven't been posting as much as in the past. Part of it is because of all the things I'm trying to do The Doors Examiner, Book reviews for Amazon, promoting The Last Stage, and whatever else I have going.

The biggest problem I see with John's site, is the same problem that The Doors, Ray's, and Robby's sites have. News, the lack of it. In all the capacities above I'm looking for new Doors items of interest all the time. I subscribe to Jeff Jampol's twitter, The Doors twitter, Manzarek/Kreiger Band Facebook page, John's facebook page, Robby's facebook page, Ray's facebook page, their mirror sites Myspace. I check Ray, Robby's and John's sites for news all the time and its hard to find. To tell the truth I find more info Googling.

The Doors et al don't promote as much as they could. For instance John has had numerous appearances in support of WYS yet almost none are announced, or make it to the News section of John's website. John is the most responsive of The Doors in interacting with fans on this forum. Robby did one or two posts, and Ray never seems to have interacted on his website. John could establish a blog here and update it frequently, or even just post here more often, it doesn't have to be long indepth things, just a little detail this is what I'm doing, this is what its like etc. New projects are played to close to the chest. John has a book coming out in October, there are any number of posts asking about it, he should post the introduction or the first chapter, start building some interest. It doesn't matter if its not the finalized version or not. Writers post works-in-progress all the time. John Grisham and Stephen King release first chapters or partial works to their websites. It would add an element of material to discuss at the very least it's going to whet the appetites of those interested and people talking, word of mouth is the biggest seller of books. (I should probably charge John for that literary advice). Robby has a CD coming out at the end of the month where's his website pushing it or pre-sales?

If Jac Holzman had marketed The Doors as little as they do today they only would have been as big as Love. The Beatles and The Stones have both released projects in the same time span that The Doors have WYS, why aren't they on Jimmy Fallon's Pro's and Con's like The Stones were? The Beatles release John & Paul's laundry list from Shea Stadium or something like that and it makes the 5 o'clock news! While The Doors settle for little mentions in the trades or a paragraph in Rolling Stone.

As much as I appreciate Sara and Alex's posting their archives here, and I find a lot of them interesting, and think they add some depth and value to the site, they're not always going to promote discussion. An article about John in Paris there's not a whole lot to comment about it unless he drops a bomb of a news item He, Ray and Robby will tour in 2011!

#6 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jun 6 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree one last cash grab for these three and I would argue thatís about it for the gravy train.
The Doors fan of the 60s and 70s generation is dying out fast either as a result of death or disillusionment.

The motley crew that make up Doors PLC nowadays just a bunch of shabby opportunists who have milked the cow dry with their best of bullshit and alienated their customer base.

Next year will be the big one for them, which is why I started this topic, as I would expect a lot of interest from fans in the way there was in 2001. Except that the 2001 fan was a lot more active on forums than the 2011 counterpart.

I made this very point on the shoe thread I think when I pointed out to the so called manager that targeting the fair weather fan with puerile gimmicks whilst driving away the long time more committed fan was pretty stupid.
But pretty indicative of the way these idiots do things nowadays.
Get rid of the Doors fans on the Official Doors forum and replace them with people interested in Jim's pyjamas.
The word 'moronic' does not seem to do it justice somehow. laugh.gif

The chances that have been missed make you weep.....we should have seen the poetry and HWY and FOF and the BMR experience all come to fruition by now but still we are fobbed off with shoes and piss plaques by grubby little idiots on the make. Morrison the Meal-Ticket exploited at every opportunity.

If it reaches double figures by Xmas I will be amazed.

The history of this band for the last 10 years has been well covered on this forum so it is not hard for even the casual fan to understand the downhill slide the band has taken since 2001.  From fans being forced to close down their websites, to the Official forums' bannishment policies, the outrageous marketing campaigns, broken promises, the tribute acts' interviews and reviews in the press, and the general disregard for the people who have supported this band for decades. Its all in print for everyone to see.  The facts of the past decade are no longer a "hidden agenda" although there are some who wish that was the case, the truths are finally coming to light.

And the "new" fans of which management has been so desperate to gain, where are they?  Where is their interest? Should the new fans be counted by the shoes or clothes they wear?   I certainly have not seen any surges in popularity over the past few years unless one can count the tribute act and for all intent and purposes management has always  maintained their separation between the two enities. We had what was advertised as the definitive Doors documentary released this year but even that has ended up in the recycled bin.

The question I ask is knowing the last gasp is coming in 2011, with whom and with what do the loyalities lie at this point in time? A lot of us will walk away next year and that may or may not be a good thing, I guess it depends on the individual.

I agree that the poll ratings will take many months to aquire data if anyone other than the "regulars" decide to punch a few buttons on their keyboards.

#7 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

I've given this some thought and my response is as follows:

I was "invited" over to the Doors' board communities in October 2006, because of my recountng of my 'meeting' with Jim at Thee Experience in September 1969, and my later employment at Elektra, through the good graces of Paul Rothchild, in Michael Walker's book - Laurel Canyon, The Inside Story, etc.  This was due to a poster called Possum Queen, who wanted to know if another poster, with a very similar name to mine, was the individual in Michael's book.  We got that cleared up, and I stuck around.

The first thing I became aware of was that some sort of serious schism had occurred very recently in this board community.  Kosmic Avenues was an off-shoot of this, and as far as I know, many of the "old guard" are still posting over there.

This was not the first time I'd encountered troubles on a band's message board.  But this split seemed particularly vituperative, and these were official boards, not 'fan' boards.  

Fast forward to the recent past.  (Can you do that, Professor Einstein?)  What I sense now is that most of the edge is gone, and the boards are wishy-washy.   There's not much passion there.

My question is - do the posters with longevity, who have weathered the recent storms, have a responsibility to continue to keep comments and opinions going, for the benefit of the newer fan?  Speaking strictly for myself, I believe we do.  Perhaps these new fans sit, slack-jaws slumped in their seats, staring at the professor on the podium.  But they're there.  They want to find out more about the Doors and the times that created them.  Where else are they going to go?  

I don't care if the Doors and the Morrison Estate make money or not.  The music is, and always was, what matters, and if we can pass on information from the perspective of those who care about that, then we should stick around.

#8 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 6 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is - do the posters with longevity, who have weathered the recent storms, have a responsibility to continue to keep comments and opinions going, for the benefit of the newer fan?  Speaking strictly for myself, I believe we do.  Perhaps these new fans sit, slack-jaws slumped in their seats, staring at the professor on the podium.  But they're there.  They want to find out more about the Doors and the times that created them.  Where else are they going to go?  

I don't care if the Doors and the Morrison Estate make money or not.  The music is, and always was, what matters, and if we can pass on information from the perspective of those who care about that, then we should stick around.

Well put Mewsy that is exactly the point I am trying to make and the reason I sat at my computer for half an hour and typed up this thread/poll. smile.gif

We have 1,793 registered members here but obviously NOT 1,793 ACTIVE members.
We can of course remove those members who turned up here at the behest of the Official LL mods with the express purpose of wrecking this place before it began which is a substantial number.
Also remove those who are barred from posting which is a minor aspect of any forum.
Then remove those who have for whatever reason become inactive on the Internet.
Then add to that those who have become inactive in The Doors Internet world for whatever reason.
Some of those have the potential to return. I myself just had 10 months off this place and probably will drift away after July due to lack of interest but that interest can indeed be sparked again.

So a percentage of that demographic which can be discounted can be tempted to return given the right circumstances and a re-ignition of interest.  

So for arguments sake say 1000 members who are potentially active on this forum?
Thatís not a bad number for a successful forum.

But of course being potentially active and being active is a Universe away.

As Mewsy says there is perhaps a responsibility from one section of a forum to keep interest in that forum burning.
But it's hard when the potentially active members cannot even tell you what it is that makes them potentially active.

I have said this before here but Doors fans nowadays are pretty much a bunch of sheep.
They follow blindly around after perceived messiahs such as the likes of Jampol and bleat their delight when fed a scrap or two without any application of thought as to what it is they are actually getting for their devotions.
Rabbits caught in headlights was another analogy I use from time to time.
To put it in todayís vernacular, todayís Doors fans are in general a bunch of fucking dumbasses.

Now if that upsets you as a Doors fan then good.
There may be hope for you yet.

Less then 10 years ago I thought in general Doors fans were among the most articulate and intelligent in the rock world on the Internet. I was a member of lots of forums that were not Doors ones and the debate I saw on Doors forums was always a cut above the rest. Nowadays Doors debate would embarrass a two year old.
It's not as if the elements of debate are not here on this forum as they are here in Spades if the sheep/dumbass/Doors fan just makes an effort to find them. Thatís the reward for the effort. You put something in....you might well get a lot more out.
Debate expands knowledge of the subject and brings in new opinion and new information building on the subject matter and by definition expanding the awareness of the subject fuelling more debate.
It's a self generating process.

Debate is refreshing and rewarding it's intellectually stimulating. But of course debate with a cabbage hardly as stimulating as debate with an intelligent human being.

Debating with Doors fans today seems, with the odd honourable exception here, like a debate with a bunch of cabbages.  The sheep/dumbass/Doors fan that seem to infest the Doors world at the moment about as intellectually stimulating as a conversation with a jar of Vick.

Now that begs the question are the sheep/dumbass/Doors fans all just a bunch of dullards who could not string a sentence together if you threatened to blow their heads off or is there some other set of reasons.

Hopefully there are which is what this thread is for. I am not the greatest optimist but surely there must be a spark among the sheep that drove them to seek out a forum like this. Something other than leather trousers that compelled them to try to gain some knowledge about an intelligent band such as The Doors rather than just listening to some other kind of muzak that did not demand one iota of actual thought.

Because of course The Doors do demand a bit of thought. They were not your usual band even in the 60s, which was full of remarkable and unique musicians. They were something special then and are even to this day remarkable. Which is why they keep appearing in the media and are still talked about with each new generation.
I see that in my Paris trips and have met people of all ages there who are attracted by the wide range of aspects that make up this band.

So the potential for a vibrant forum is of course here. But for some reason it seems that the sheep/dumbass/Doors fan cannot be galvanised here.
It canít be the lack of information and data that is available here because this forum is full of information if the sheep just get off their arces and look for it.

I disagree to an extent with my buddy Jim that the lack of news is in someway the main reason for the forums inactivity.
Yes it is detrimental to the forums well-being and should be addressed. Yes you make a good point that The Doors donít like sharing information and are like some secret society. And yes it would be nice to have exclusive information posted here about all aspects of The Doors not just Bongo.  
But No I do not see it as the main reason people donít post.

I remember when I first posted the Butts band information here and suggested a section for that kind of information only to be told that John did not want to dwell on that aspect and favoured a Tribal jazz section. Now Tribal jazz is another failed footnote in JDís career, which has comprised these kind of hobby horses in between his full on living off The Doors activity. But these like the post Jim albums are indeed all interesting aspects of the drummer and information should be available on them not just from fans but from the drummer himself.
If he does not support the posting of information on his own History what is the point of trying to educate new fans about that very History.
Do he and the other Amigos favour nothing but the Stone/DiCillo approach to Doors History?

As Mewsy says older fans can play a very pivotal role in passing on the information and helping to enlighten the newer converts but it would be nice to see some support from the fuckers whom itís done on behalf of. And by that I mean The Doors themselves not the fansheep.

Like Mewsy I do not give a rats ass how rich Ray or John get. I do not begrudge them a penny of what they earn even if I do not always agree with how they earn it.
Why should the guys I like not be rich if idiot footballers can get rich by having a mediocre talent but a damn good agent.

I care about the music I like and have a passion for it. The Doors are my fave band but not the only one I am passionate about. But they are the only one I am passionate enough to talk about on the Internet. The only one I am passionate enough about nowadays to want to help my fellow fans learn about.

People like me are an important Doors resource but as there is no money in us we are generally treated like shit by these people.

Densmore better than two I can name but he seems to think that there is more to be gained in promoting shoes and rubbishly told films rather than nurturing a fan base.

He is without doubt a fool if he believes that.
Money is easy to make for The Doors. Stick out a best of with rare track and Ďultimateí as a title and the sheep/dumbasses will go and buy it.
Done that myself plenty of times. I claim no great moral high ground here.

Itís easy to sell T Shirts JD and easy to stick The Doors name on something and cream off a percentage but itís bloody hard to nurture a fan base.
That takes time and effort and patience and the reward for that time and effort and patience will not pay your gas bill.
There are no wads of cash to come from taking a real interest in your fans but a wealth beyond any reckoning that can be gained in terms of good will and even respect.

For me the perception I have is that The Three Amigos have forgotten totally what it was that made this band great and worship nothing but the money to be made from it.
They cannot see the great resources at their disposal and instead see nothing but he potential to make money rather than the potential to make History.

As Sara says in her post in 10 years time who will give a shit.

If JD does not care that his Legacy will be a best of album rather than a History then why should the rest of us?
I for one do care. I do not give a fuck about the next best Of album but I do give a fuck about the fans it may well bring into the fold. And I worry what there will be there for them to expand their knowledge after the first initial exposure.
Most of the avenues for that are gone but 4 remain. The LL and the three individual forums. At present nothing special but potentially something extraordinary if the will was there to make them so.
I make no bones that I do not have any respect any more for Ray and Robby as individuals but they too are part of my fave band and I have as much respect for their History as I do for the fellah here.
I would love to talk about that History to fans on their forum as I do like to talk here on this one. I would love to talk to fans on the LL about Doors History.

I among with a sadly dwindling number of others enjoy sharing the experience of being a Doors fan with others and envy them their sense of wonder at discovering this great band. Been there done that got the T Shirt wish I could experience it from your point of view again.

The Greatest assets The Doors have are those fans. Old and new.
To galvanise that resource for 2011 would be worth a million best of albums.

Worth a thought surely JD if in fact you even give a fuck anymore?

What better way to remember what was good about Jim Morrison on the 40th anniversary of his death than talk about him and his band with hundreds if not thousands of other people.

No money in it of course but something way better than all that shit.

Discuss the art and the poetry and the drama and the music. Take the trouble to remember shit and share it with others. Way better surely than sitting on your ass and simply making money from a corpse.

Maybe I am nothing but a dinosaur myself nowadays but thatís how I see it.
Like in a Pink Floyd song the sheep may one day rise up and be something better.
John Densmore could for one do his bit to bring about that glorious day if he had the will. In the last 40 years even my failing memory can recall what was best about The Doors. Listening to them, learning about them and for the last 10 years talking about them and sharing the experience with others.
No money was made during this but it was one helluva fucking trip and one I would sell my soul to experience again.

Any of you sheep got even a fragment of a thought to share here?

#9 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

A few thoughts on JD interaction here......

As far as that JD interaction goes surely it would not kill him to read a few threads and make comments and share information on a regular basis.
He does not even have to trawl the forums as surely the mods can send him links to threads that might be of interest to him and save him that time. Fans can even suggest threads to the mods to pass on to him.
Itís hardly particle physics.
Itís not difficult.
In a society that twitters and blogs and facebooks why is it so hard to go to a message forum and post a few sentences?
I am sure Densmores day is not filled with wonders all the time and he finds time to text and twitter so why can he not find time to interact once or twice a week with the people that ensured, by giving him their hard earned money, he was living in a big house, driving a big car and NOT working at Burger King for 40 years.
He cared enough to want this place but not enough to help it flourish.

Would it hurt John to address ONE question in the Ask John section per week. That would make 52 answer a year. Hell he might even enjoy it and answer a lot more. He would make a fans day if he replied to their question.
Sure there are no dollars in it but is that not worth something?

Also the idea that certain sections are only open to an elite is a problem.
The John interaction only seen by members cannot be a good way to attract new members to the fold..

If for instance John posted a reply here would this thread then be transferred to the Johnís replies section? Therefore hiding it from view of guests and potential converts.

If that happened it would illicit a rather scathing reply from me with lots of words beginning with f and c.

Let John come out of his ivory tower and participate in the real Doors world and let his replies run free in all the sections on the board rather than be closeted in an elitist section.
What the hell is the point of having a Door interact with fans if they are differentiated between the elite who have a magic pass and the proles who are not considered worthy of a view as they do not have a membership to it.

It's one simple way of making this forum live and breath again. Not the whole answer but an important part of it.
A bit of thought, a lot of work and the rewards could exponentially outweigh the effort.

If this place is worth anything surely it is worth that effort?

#10 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

2 weeks on and over 400 views but still nobody seems interested in helping the guys that run the place understand whats good about the place and what can be improved.
What a pathetic fucking bunch you all are. mad.gif

#11 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi Alex,
   Actually your thread got me thinking a bit about an idea I'm going to run by JD for you guys.

#12 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

I would love it if John would pop in every now and then. He hasn't written a blog in a very long time. He doesn't necessarily have to restrict his comments to the blog or the "Talk to John" section. Every once in awhile, when he has some free time, he can drop a comment in any of the sections. Even a very modest amount of input from John would certainly get this place jumping again.

#13 bobw

bobw

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

Keep the board up and running for sure....involvment will come in waves, dialougue and dissagreement is normal and healthy. Personally I think there is still a lot of pictures, writings, and insight that has never been viewed....most likely family is privey to it....you never know perhaps it will be public one day. Yes 2011 will see an insurgence of interest. Some may want to post but feel they don't have the foreknowledge or insight to contribute plus may feel it's all "been said and done before" so why bother. I appreciate the long time members but the newbies will come with fresh insight too.
Anyway keep it going.

#14 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (bobw @ Jul 4 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep the board up and running for sure....involvment will come in waves, dialougue and dissagreement is normal and healthy. Personally I think there is still a lot of pictures, writings, and insight that has never been viewed....most likely family is privey to it....you never know perhaps it will be public one day. Yes 2011 will see an insurgence of interest. Some may want to post but feel they don't have the foreknowledge or insight to contribute plus may feel it's all "been said and done before" so why bother. I appreciate the long time members but the newbies will come with fresh insight too.
Anyway keep it going.

Hope so.

#15 bobw

bobw

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (bobw @ Jul 4 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway keep it going.

Except for Mewsical..........ha ha ha.....just kidding!!!!! tongue.gif

#16 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (bobw @ Jul 5 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except for Mewsical..........ha ha ha.....just kidding!!!!! tongue.gif

No, you're not.