"An American Prayer" as a tribute to Morrison. With the exception of
a few greatest hits albums here and there, The Doors were officially
shut.

But then came April 25th, 2002. On The Doors' official website,
there was this simple news update: "Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek are
collaborating in private rehearsal sessions and hinting at the
possibility of working with some prominent vocalists in the not too
distant future." In other words, break out your checkbooks,
there's going to be a reunion tour. Well, half of one, anyway.

It started with that Tonight Show, when Robbie and Ray appeared to
promote their then-upcoming Las Vegas concert. The obvious question
was, "who would be opening for The Doors?" (Badum!) But
Robbie and Ray saying they're The Doors is like Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo
trying to remake "Rebel Without a Cause" and having someone
stand in for James Dean. Robbie and Ray are not The Doors. They weren't
The Doors. They were part of The Doors. Maybe the Doorknob and the
Buzzer. Jim Morrison was The Doors. And even if R&R somehow found a
way to convince a post-mortem Jim to rejoin the band (I hear a group
in Florida has the technology to do it, but has yet to reveal it to
the public), that's still only three quarters of the group. John,
who is very much alive, is not part of the exploitation process.

John has enough common sense to form a separate group and not try to
profit off of The Doors name. His group, Tribal Jazz, will release
their first CD later this year. Notice the name of his group. It is
not The Doors of Tribal Jazz or Tribal Jazz and a Guy From The Doors,
or Doors Tribal Jazz Doors Doors. It is simply Tribal Jazz, a sign
that John has recognized that his friend and co-worker passed on, and
his career should move in the same direction - on.

When Kurt Cobain died, Nirvana's drummer, Dave Grohl, kept
playing music, but in the Foo Fighters. When Jerry Garcia died, The Grateful
Dead stuck together, but renamed themselves "The Other Ones"
in recognition of how different the band is without their most
recognizable member. But 32 years after their front man died, Robbie
and Ray are trying to keep the dream alive. It's quite possible
that Jay Leno was mistaken, and the two Rs are not referring to themselves
as The Doors. But I looked up "The Doors" on Yahoo! and found
something just as disturbing. A link to thedoors.com describes it as
the "official site of John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek
and Jim Morrison." Was Jim really in on that decision? I can only
imagine that conversation - mainly because it obviously never took place.

"Robby? Ray?"

"What is it, Jim?"

"If I happen to die before you guys (wink wink), can you make
sure that we get a good domain name for our website before some cyber-
squatter steals thedoors.com?"

"Jim, the web won't be commonly used for another quarter
century."

"I know - I'm just thinking ahead of myself here. Oh, and
I'm totally cool with you using the band's name to play the Tonight Show. But
only if John isn't there. And make sure to wait until after
Carson
retires."

"You're the boss."

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. It's possible
that this is all a misunderstanding, or that Morrison would have been fine with
it. But it's a lot more likely that a man widely known as a dark
poet would much rather R-squared not perform his "Light My Fire"
with the help of Kevin Eubanks and The Tonight Show Band. And I'm positive
Morrison would be very surprised to learn that there's a
"Virtual Pilgrimage" to his grave on thedoors.com.

Then again, he is the one that came up with the idea for the website.

Source: http://www.observationalhumor.com/columns/000049.html

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

"Notice the name of his group. It is not The Doors of Tribal Jazz or Tribal Jazz and a Guy From The Doors,
or Doors Tribal Jazz Doors Doors."

That one cracks me up  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
remember the way Ray always used to invoke Jim's name when he was selling this sewage.
'It's what Jim would have wanted' was one of his mantras and he used it often to deflect criticism.
I wonder how this sad pathetic footnote in the story of a great American band will be remembered?
A cry for attention from sad old men who feel they have lost thier mojo or greed personified in the visage of Ray Manzarek raconteur extraordinary and ravenousness seeker of the next little dollar.  laugh.gif
Still it beats the shit out of the piss plaque idea and the shoe sell out...... laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
These guys make The Marx Brothers look sane.....

#3 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

Like the legacy of his psychedelic rock band The Doors, keys player and key songwriter Ray Manzarek seems as strong as ever. He's been living a quieter life the past five years, having relocated to California's Napa Valley after spending his adult life in Southern California. But he's animated in interviews and very outspoken about The Doors' past and present. The present includes shows of Doors songs billed as Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of The Doors.

It's one of several names original members Manzarek and guitarist Krieger have used since starting to play live again in 2002. Various lawsuits prevented them from using The Doors, and the last name used was Riders on the Storm, after the band's famous song.

"It's a lengthy story, and it's not worth writing," Manzarek, now 70, said from his home. "We've gone back to basics. Riders on the Storm is not basics. Who is Riders on the Storm? Well, it's Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger from The Doors."

From the mid-1970s to 2002, members of The Doors didn't play live. Manzarek, Krieger and drummer John Densmore (who has not played live with the band since the relaunch) immersed themselves in solo and other musical projects. But in 2002, VH1 did a "Storytellers" episode in which the members played songs with various singers, including Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction and Ian Astbury of The Cult, who ended up touring with Riders on the Storm.

That spark kindled a new fire for Manzarek and Krieger, who went on to resurrect the live Doors show.

"We hadn't played as The Doors since '74 or '75," Manzarek said. "After Jim died, the three of us played together, then we put that to bed. Then we did (1978's) "American Prayer" together and we didn't play together until 'Storytellers.' ... That was fun."

An offer came soon after to play a 100th anniversary party for Harley-Davidson.

"Then we called John, but John didn't want to play, his ears were bad at the time," (he's better now, Manzarek said). "We talked to Ian (Astbury) and he said 'I'm there mate.' The audience loved it and it got great reviews."

Touring followed, and Manzarek said the crowds went wild. Especially in South America, where Manzarek figured The Doors gave the continent's strong Catholic faithful a chance to rebel a bit.

"It's like Doors country from Tijuana to Tierra del Fuego," Manazarek said. "What it is, it's Jim's leather pants. Then there's the whole Freudian section in "The End" -- 'father I want to kill you, mother I want to you-know-what.' It's the forbidden-fruit dream down there."

Still, Manzarek said he did worry about how fans would feel about the band going on without Morrison. After all, to many fans, Morrison embodied The Doors, and his face alone graces some of the band's album covers. Manzarek got over it, obviously, relating the situation sarcastically through an imaginary fan and musician exchange.

"Oh, don't you dare play, don't you play," Manzarek said. "OK, what should I do?"

"I'll tell you what you should have done. All three of you should have killed yourselves after Jim died. That would have been the romantic thing for us."

"To which I can only say 'f-word you.' What am I supposed to do? I love to play, wouldn't you like to hear us play? Am I supposed to be a little fly trapped in amber, then you hold it and look at it? What a joy! Robby and I have so much fun, that's why we're doing it. I don't need the f---ing money. I'm doing this for the fun of it.

"I've had older guys and girls who were around at the (early days of ) the Fillmore (concert venue) come to me and say 'Oh man, thank God you guys are out there doing this, it is bitchin' that you're still playing together," Manzarek said.

"If you want to see Jim Morrison, go to Pere Lachaise. If you want to see Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger play the Doors songs, that they f---ing wrote with a great lead singer..."

Astbury left Riders on the Storm a few years back in an amicable split to rejoin The Cult. Now on the mike is Brett Scallions, who had a couple of minor hits, including 1998's "Shimmer," with his band Fuel.

"He's great," Manzarek said of Scallions, who got the gig through auditions. "He's a lean, mean singing machine. Sometimes he wears leather, sometimes he doesn't. He's got a great voice and he moves around the stage like a panther."

The live band also includes bass player Phil Chen and drummer Ty Dennis. And they're working on new material for a CD to be released in the next year or so.

"We're not going to be playing any," Manzarek assured for the live show. "Who the hell wants to hear a new song?"

The band also is helping Dick Wolf Productions, of "Law & Order" fame, to put out an official Doors documentary, as none currently exists.

"What's great about the documentary is, guess who plays Jim Morrison?" Manzarek asked. "Jim Morrison."

Manzarek cautioned on some inaccuracies in Oliver Stone's 1991 biopic "The Doors."

"It's over the top," he said. "It's a white-powdered tequila take on The Doors, on a psychedelic band. The band is not a white-powder band, it's a psychedelic band. ... And if you don't understand that, what are you going to do? You're going to make Jim Morrison out to be a drunken crazy man. He was a poet, he was an artist, a very sensitive guy. Unfortunately, he got seduced by alcohol."

Manzarek figures The Doors would still be out there playing as the original four-piece if Morrison were alive.

"Why not?" he said. "We don't tour too much now. We'd all be gentlemen of a certain age, and we'd be out there playing every once in awhile."

Of course, Morrison can't make it, as he died in 1971 in Paris. That's the official record, anyway. There are still people who believe he faked his death.

“I don’t know what the hell he was up to,” Manzarek said. “Nobody knows. Only Pamela (his girlfriend) knows. She died of an overdose two or three years after Jim died. There’s no one who can tell the story. The funeral was four or five people. It was a sealed coffin, and in that coffin is supposedly the remains of Jim Morrison. I never saw the body. (Our) manager never saw the body, and I never asked Pamela what happened. I only saw her a couple of times in California and she was just so broken up. I just never had the heart to do that. ... Let’s put it this way. I haven’t heard from the dude in 40 years. He hasn’t called and said ‘Ray, I got a bunch of songs and I’m itching to get back on stage.’ I’m sure he’s gone. That’s the tragedy of The Doors.”

This is an interesting one from more recent times as it mentions the new Z rate Jimitator and the documentary.
The usual mixture of mystic mumbo jumbo and lies but it does show how ole Ray manipulates Doors fans and twists truth to suit his own ends.

Manzarek figures The Doors would still be out there playing as the original four-piece if Morrison were alive.

Always a good one for the young folks from Ray. Neglecting to mention the fact Morrison had probably left The Doors and the obvious problems the band had with Morrison which resulted in them clamping down on his chance to use the name when he went to Europe and even the likelihood they were seeking to replace him as lead singer of The Doors even before he died. A dead Morrison always a lot more compliant to Ray's revisionist Doors History than a live one would ever have been.
The idea a 60 odd year old Morrison would be singing LA Woman in a club or stadium with Ray and the boys in the 21st century so far beyond laughable to be ....well laughable!  laugh.gif

And they're working on new material for a CD to be released in the next year or so.
"We're not going to be playing any," Manzarek assured for the live show. "Who the hell wants to hear a new song?"

A slight bitterness creeping in there from Ray as his experiment with 'new Doors songs' (his words live on stage from 2003 as he introduced cops talk) proved to be a rather dismal failure and they were just quietly dropped from the set in favour of the Doors Tribute show. Once he realised he could not use The Doors name he saw that there was no profit in making a new album as who would be interested?
Integrity not a word high on Ray's list of words.

Still, Manzarek said he did worry about how fans would feel about the band going on without Morrison. After all, to many fans, Morrison embodied The Doors, and his face alone graces some of the band's album covers. Manzarek got over it, obviously, relating the situation sarcastically through an imaginary fan and musician exchange.

"Oh, don't you dare play, don't you play," Manzarek said. "OK, what should I do?"

"I'll tell you what you should have done. All three of you should have killed yourselves after Jim died. That would have been the romantic thing for us."

"To which I can only say 'f-word you.' What am I supposed to do? I love to play, wouldn't you like to hear us play? Am I supposed to be a little fly trapped in amber, then you hold it and look at it? What a joy! Robby and I have so much fun, that's why we're doing it. I don't need the f---ing money. I'm doing this for the fun of it.

This makes me smile as we see the true face of Ray here. His whiny childish nasal voice utterances that he uses on on radio interviews to attack people like Desnmore turned into print. The babyish face of Ray not being allowed to get his way when somebody stands up and says...'enough Manzarek'......he does not like that at all. And falls into type as the petulant belligerant huff taking little baby he really is.
Fans were a lot more adult about the debate than Ray which considering the names we all called each other shows how utterly childish he was  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

If he was doing it for the fun and not the dollars then surely tickets would not have cost 100-150 dollars and he would have said 'what the hell' and actually made an album of the new songs regardless of who bought the CD?

The Doors three piece from 1971-1972 had integrity and tried very hard to take The Doors to a new plane by producing two new albums and moving in new musical directions. On stage they did not appeal to the nostalgia of Doors fans but instead played a set of 90% new material and no Morrison penned songs at all even though Ray could easily have sung such numbers. The only Morrison era songs they played in the two years of touring were LMF and Love Me 2X which were Robby songs.
Now that to me is Integrity with a capital I. Of course they failed but they tried which was important. And for that deserved Doors fans respect regardless of whether or not the fan likes Full Circle and Other Voices.
What we see in this interview is a petulant Ray Manzarek who is wounded by the reaction to his big idea of 2002 and bitter at the feedback of fans and bandmates to his dream of ressurecting The Doors.
A 'Manzo' to Jim's 'Jimbo' only drunk on his own arrogance and ego rather than Jack Daniels.
And it has to be said a lot sadder individual then a drunken Jim ever was.  mellow.gif

#4 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Alex, remember Dave Ferman of the Star-Telegram?   As you can see from these two articles there is no doubt "The Doors" name was being used as well as portraits of Morrison as part of the stage act.  This same scenerio was brought up in court and denied by the defense.

How To Dishonor A Band's Memory
By Dave Ferman
Star-Telegram Pop Music Critic
Sun, Mar. 30, 2003

GRAND PRAIRIE - I have seen lousy rock concerts in my time, plenty of
them, but I've never seen anything as sad and creepy as the band
calling itself "The Doors" on Saturday night at NextStage.

Founding members Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger have revived the
band, with Englishman Ian Astbury of the Cult standing in for the
decades-dead Jim Morrison.

Technically, the band that took the stage before a half-full house
sounded fine -- the mix was full and bright, and Krieger remains a
unique, fluid guitarist. But between the opera music (and the
portrait of Morrison hung above the stage!) that began the show and
Astbury's aping of Morrison's every old move and American accent,
this was a pathetic display.

Astbury displayed no individuality as he sang Roadhouse Blues, Love
Me Two Times and all the other old faves. This is nothing but a Doors
tribute band, plain and simple.

And at least a decent tribute act wouldn't call itself "The Doors,"
which this bunch did both on the ticket and when being introduced.
And at least a tribute band wouldn't have the gall to charge $110 for
the best seats and go on 45 minutes late.

Morrison's memory deserves better than this. Like being left alone.

"Fans Are Taking A Hard Look At The Re-Formed Doors,"
By: Dave Ferman has
The Fort Worth Star Telegram
Posted on Tue, Apr. 01, 2003

LOVE THEM MADLY?
Fans are taking a hard look at the re-formed Doors
"We want to keep the Doors' poetic tradition going," says original
keyboardist Ray Manzarek.

All over the country, there are Doors fans talking about the re-
formation of their favorite band, who are calling themselves the
Doors 21st Century.

Is it the rock event of the year? Or a sorry attempt at squeezing one
last penny out of a band that died with lead singer Jim Morrison in
1971? The debate rages.

But there is at least one person who sees no reason for such a
debate -- and that person, as might be expected, is original Doors
keyboardist Ray Manzarek.

So, Ray, thousands are asking -- isn't this just a money-grubbing
sham?

"Here in the 21st century it's sad that you can't do anything for the
sheer delight and joy of it," says the keyboardist. "What you're
going to see and hear is passion. Power. High energy. A deep
commitment to music, and Doors songs played with a new fury."

Getting the famous '60s band back together began in earnest with a
2002 VH1 "Storytellers" episode. The show lighted a fire under
Manzarek and original Doors guitarist Robby Krieger, and the band --
with the Police's Stewart Copeland on drums -- played a handful of
times last year. Copeland won't be on the band's new tour, but the
Cult's Ian Astbury joined the team, standing in for Morrison.

Reaction to Astbury, says Manzarek, has been fantastic.

"He has a charismatic quality, a dark, brooding, Celtic tone just
like Jim Morrison without imitating Jim Morrison," Manzarek says.

And the songs they'll be performing, the keyboardist adds, are all
the favorites, plus the odd obscurity like "Maggie M'Gill."

Along the way, though, there have been legal problems. Original
drummer John Densmore, for one, sued the band for both copyright
infringement and breach of contract. More recently, Copeland slapped
the band with a $1 million lawsuit, saying an oral contract had been
broken when they declined to use him for the tour and future projects.

Copeland, Manzarek says, simply didn't work out; there were, he
says, "aesthetic, political and stylistic differences between him and
what we wanted to hear in a Doors drummer."

The Densmore situation, however, is a bit different.

"With Densmore, it's a fit of pique. We asked him to play, and at the
beginning, he said he couldn't because his ears were bad," he
says. "Then he said his ears were better -- which is incredible,
because tinnitus doesn't just get better. And then he said, 'I don't
like Ian -- I like David Bowie.' "

You mean, he wanted you to ask Bowie...

"Yes. He wanted us to ask David Bowie to join the Doors," he says
with a chuckle. "I told him that wasn't going to happen, and then he
said people would be confused with the name. I said, 'John, nobody's
going to be confused because Jim Morrison has been dead since 1971.' "

The band, with drummer Ty Dennis and bassist Angelo Barbera, is going
forward with U.S. and European tours, to be followed by recording for
a new Doors CD in the fall.

"It's going to be global rock," Manzarek says. "We want to keep the
Doors' poetic tradition going."

But who will be listening is, right now, a big question. Based on a
completely unscientific survey of some classic rock fans, there is
everything from high anticipation to contempt for the new Doors. Most
often, there is simply ambivalence.

Charles Buxton, who stood within a few feet of Morrison during the
band's first stop in Fort Worth in 1967, just as "Fire" was becoming
a smash, said:

"It's like, when you think of the Doors, who do you think of?" he
says. "I'm sure it'll be a good show, but it's kind of a sham to tour
as the Doors. I just can't get excited about it."

SOURCE: http://www.kansas.com/entertainment/5527062.htm

#5 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

Yes Sara I remember both the review and the interview well.  smile.gif
There were many reviewers very uncomfortable with the situation as well as many Doors fans.
I remember that on the LL I had coined the phrase ‘21st century dorks’ around this time and was at odds with their fans who were posting stuff about the band on The Doors section of the LL which resulted in them getting their own section on the forum and all the problems that brought there.
It amazes me really the level of lies Manzo would stoop to in his quest to screw as much money out of Morrison as possible. The hypocrisy on display from him and Robbo was quite breathtaking as he abused anyone who disagreed with him or dared call his overpriced tribute garbage by it's true name....a tribute act.....
His interviews became more belligerent as the months went by and he realised that his big idea for 2002 was NOT going to propel him into the realms of superstardom as his dreams of empire began to fade in an orgy of recrimination and reproach.
His disgusting use of Morrison to sell his tripe along with the constant denial of Morrison in favour of little ian always among the sorest points with me.
For decades this man was the biggest Morrison groupie on the planet but suddenly when in need of a more alive Messiah decided ‘Morrison was dead get over it’ a better Mantra to promote the new band and it’s singer.
Suddenly little ian became the embodiment of Morrison a personification of the long dead God he had worshipped for so long that could be manipulated and used to sell a pretty dishonourable and vapid product.
Tasteless interview after tasteless interview followed with criticism of anyone who dared point out the obvious flaws in the plan.
Manzarek the Hypocrite and Liar plain for all to see but as with all good religions many were too blinded by the Light to really see what the Light actually covered up.
A festering pile of putrid lies, hypocrisy and deceit from a man so lacking in integrity he would deny a man he called friend and use that friend to sell a watered down version of said friends greatest triumph at over $100 a ticket in a shallow attempt to feather his own nest.
Never in the annals of rock music History was there a more treacherous betrayal than that perpetrated by Raymond Daniel Manczarek.

QUOTE (darkstar @ Apr 23 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Densmore situation, however, is a bit different.

"With Densmore, it's a fit of pique. We asked him to play, and at the
beginning, he said he couldn't because his ears were bad," he
says. "Then he said his ears were better -- which is incredible,
because tinnitus doesn't just get better. And then he said, 'I don't
like Ian -- I like David Bowie.' "

You mean, he wanted you to ask Bowie...

"Yes. He wanted us to ask David Bowie to join the Doors," he says
with a chuckle. "I told him that wasn't going to happen, and then he
said people would be confused with the name. I said, 'John, nobody's
going to be confused because Jim Morrison has been dead since 1971.' "

This was always one of my favourite among Ray's lies as it encapsulates everything that was so utterly wrong with the dorks. The shameful lies to promote this garbage as well as the hypocrisy that cloaked the entire sad enterprise.
We know now that John 'Bongo' Densmore never did anything of the sort but back then Manzo could hold court with impunity and spout lies to his hearts content without anyone pulling him up and examining what he said too closely. He had the Official Doors forum to back up his lying as well as other acolytes such as the LA Woman Idafan over on the West Coast. It must have seemd so bright for him back then as he could silence gobshites like Patton on the LL easy enough and Bongo seemed too gutless to do anything about it.
Sadly for Manzo that did not last and the rest is History.

The band, with drummer Ty Dennis and bassist Angelo Barbera, is going
forward with U.S. and European tours, to be followed by recording for
a new Doors CD in the fall.
"It's going to be global rock," Manzarek says. "We want to keep the
Doors' poetic tradition going."

Just one of the Grandiose claims Manzo made around this period as his plans began to fall apart. The new music was received with pretty much total indifference except for a few LL sycophants who tried desperately to 'big up' rubbish like 'cops talk' as the new ROTS. Of course the proof was in the pudding as both that song and the equally lamentable 'american express' were quietly dropped from the set as the fans were paying 100 bucks for a tribute show not to listen to shit songs they had never heard of.
Attempts to belittle Bongo and try to pass off the new one as a better drummer of Doors songs became commonplace .......forgetting the obvious that all the new guy was doing was parroting the drum beats and could lay no claim to the genius behind them.......attacks on fans who were critical of an attempt to use the name to sell new material even more commonplace.
Sadly for Manzo, Bongo, who was not quite as gutless as he had seemed, sued his ass and he found he could never use the name to sell his new Doors global rock and as with his dreams of glory his new Doors album was consigned to the dustbin. Who got the blame?
Bongo of course.  

But who will be listening is, right now, a big question. Based on a
completely unscientific survey of some classic rock fans, there is
everything from high anticipation to contempt for the new Doors. Most
often, there is simply ambivalence.

Charles Buxton, who stood within a few feet of Morrison during the
band's first stop in Fort Worth in 1967, just as "Fire" was becoming
a smash, said:

"It's like, when you think of the Doors, who do you think of?" he
says. "I'm sure it'll be a good show, but it's kind of a sham to tour
as the Doors. I just can't get excited about it."

I was in the higher echelons of the contempt side myself but cannot claim any part in the final victory as it was Charles and his ambivalence that won the day. Many who went to dork shows went to see Manzo and Robbo because they had never seen a Door. Their interest in a new album...zero....I know many who had exactly that opinion. They thought the show indeed a poor imitation and most I met thought using the Doors name wrong.....but they went to see the two ex Doors because they were Doors fans and enjoyed listening to Doors songs.
In other words they enjoyed the tribute show. But to Ray it never was a tribute show. Manzo wanted the glory as well as the cash and would tell any lie and sink to any level of total hypocrisy to acheive that aim.
The damage done by Manzo to The Doors world in his pursuit of his own ego is incalculable and impacts even today many years after Manzo was humbled by Bongo in a court of law. Manzo in his usual magnanimous way still spouts his bitterness in interviews as his silly whiny nasal ramblings adorn interviews and radio shows as he tries to sell the same tired tribute show under whatever name this week brings.
It's odd that Morrison seems to have been ressurected these days as little ian has returned to his old band and the new guy has never been someone Manzo could pass off as a new Jim.
The Hypocrisy and the Lies continue in a never ending loop of Ray Manzo Manzareks attempts to blame everyone but himself for the catastrophe that befell him even to this day.
Honesty never being a strongpoint with Ray he still cannot comprehend what he did and the effect it had on the world of The Doors.

The most ironic part of this whole silly saga is that Manzo once accused Bongo of living in the past..... but Ray is forever stuck on Venice Beach with Jim Morrison trapped in his own ego, a victim of his own hubris and lost in his revisionist History of the greatest band that ever was.

He deserves pity as he was and always will be a worthy 25% of the genius that was The Doors and should take pride in that ......but sadly his greed and ambition transcended all the good he ever acheived and as  a result all he will ever get from me is utter and total contempt.....

and that my friends is what I find saddest about being a Doors fan  sad.gif

#6 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:55 AM

"Robbie and Ray are not The Doors. They weren't
The Doors. They were part of The Doors. Maybe the Doorknob and the
Buzzer. "

Or 2 knobs and no buzzer

#7 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

One of the funniest things I ever saw during the hoohaa about the tribute band nicking The Doors name has to be this one from the laughable objection to the Judges Statement Of Decisionback in May 2005.

This is a rather sad attempt by an old man who is desperate to keep his hold on The Doors name because without it he thinks he is nobody...his lawyers pretty much said exactly that in their objection statement to the judges decision statement...

THE PROPOSED INJUNCTION IS A DEATH KNELL FOR DEFENDANTS PERFORMING CAREER
Defendants have invested 2 years of their lives developing and marketing The Doors of the 21st century as this court authorised them to do so.  
Prohibiting them from using that name or even any name that mentions The Doors would mean they would have to start nearly from scratch.
For Ray Manzarek in particular, aged 66, this would be an unequitable burden.

From defendants objection to proposed statement of decision May 24th 2005.

The whole document is as pathetic and whiney as that and its little wonder it was thrown out.
Ray seems to be saying that if he can't be a Door then he is in fact nothing.....which is stupid as the guy is a keyboard genius that has utterly wasted his talents for 30 years being the biggest Jim Morrison groupie of them all.

Instead of producing albums of the standard of Golden Scarab all he does is Jim this Jim that......and he has the gall to criticise Jim Morrison fans who think his tribute band are an insult whilst being the biggest Jim Morrison hanger on in history.

Defendants have invested 2 years of their lives developing and marketing The Doors of the 21st century as this court authorised them to do so.
which BTW was not true and this kind of statement is one of the reasons the judge brought his final decision forward as they were telling everyone they had the courts permission to be D21C...sorta pissed the judge off a bit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users