Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:47 AM

Just got myself a copy!!!

YAY!!!!

Great pictures so far and well written, Iīm in the first few pages but couldnīt help browsing foward pages, Iīve read John and Jimīs first encounter already...He was the only one who said how shy Jim was those days. Very interesting.

Wonderful book John!  wink.gif

#2 screamofthebutterfly

screamofthebutterfly

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Hey Daniel!  Riders is a very good book.  It's one of my favorites.  When I read it, I finished it in about a day.  I just couldn't put it down!

#3 Sunday Trucker

Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(screamofthebutterfly @ Nov 11 2005, 12:06 AM) View Post

Hey Daniel!  Riders is a very good book.  It's one of my favorites.  When I read it, I finished it in about a day.  I just couldn't put it down!

Its fullfiling years of expectations! And I want to make comments for John AND maybe make a comic out of some of the stories!  wink.gif

#4 screamofthebutterfly

screamofthebutterfly

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

That would be great to make comics of it.  Can't wait to see what you do with it.

#5 Annie

Annie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

It is a great book -- straightforward, sensitive, well written.  John is open with his feelings.  I couldn't put it down when it first came out, and have picked it up several times since.... Thanks, John!

Annie

#6 Remi Beauregard

Remi Beauregard

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

I just finish the book. ( Great buy the way ) I just want to make sure, the last set of pictures are upside down in my book. It is normal or it's an error of printing ?

-Rémi

#7 PTLWP

PTLWP

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

Always, always been one of my favorites, full of emotion and raw feelings.

#8 breakonthru

breakonthru

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

I just finished the book over the holidays and thought it was wonderful - I especially liked the technique of writing "letters" to Jim (in italics) to illustrate the ongoing mental conversation he was having and probably still is having with Jim.  I respect that John has enough honesty and courage to question his relationship to Jim, was he enabling Jim's behavior, why, etc, because lots of people even in their memoirs sugarcoat a lot of things.  The guilt issue, the grief, it's all there.  I hope writing the book was cathartic and cleared out some demons.   Let's never forget the trauma all these guys went through, and it takes a big man to say certain things and deal with certain problems.  I hope to read more of John's writings, whether it's  another updated memoir, novel, or whatever thoughts may be roaming through his creative mind.   Thanks for opening your life to us.

#9 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

I too found the letter technique was especially powerful because it read much like a journal entry - intensely personal.  As a reader, it really draws you into the questions and struggles.

#10 fool monkey

fool monkey

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

I recently read "Riders on the Storm", i found it quite an enjoyable read, i learnt some stuff that i have kinda forgotten.. but oh well  smile.gif . i dont usualy read so it must be good!

#11 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(breakonthru @ Jan 16 2006, 08:01 PM) View Post

I just finished the book over the holidays and thought it was wonderful - I especially liked the technique of writing "letters" to Jim (in italics) to illustrate the ongoing mental conversation he was having and probably still is having with Jim.  I respect that John has enough honesty and courage to question his relationship to Jim, was he enabling Jim's behavior, why, etc, because lots of people even in their memoirs sugarcoat a lot of things.  The guilt issue, the grief, it's all there.  I hope writing the book was cathartic and cleared out some demons.   Let's never forget the trauma all these guys went through, and it takes a big man to say certain things and deal with certain problems.  I hope to read more of John's writings, whether it's  another updated memoir, novel, or whatever thoughts may be roaming through his creative mind.   Thanks for opening your life to us.

I have no doubts that this is the only book on Jim Morrison and The Doors that is worth buying - for all the reasons mentioned above and many others. Maybe one doesn't have to forget, just heal. Because our past is also our present.
I am trying to find a copy myself, I would prefer to buy the english version.
Sunday Trucker, you're brazilian, right?
Did you get this book in english or in portuguese?

#12 thchainsaw

thchainsaw

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

Hi!

I'm new on this board...

Riders On The Storm was one of the first books i ever read. I've been a huge fan of The Doors ever since i was a little kid. I loved the book...

...and come to think of it, i think i'm gonna read again. It's been about 10 years...

#13 Mary-Beth

Mary-Beth

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

smile.gif Definitely a great book...well written.....love the way it read like a journal.....I read John's book....almost 2 years ago, it got me through my Mom's bout with lung cancer, she passed on June 5th, 2004. So even though it was a extremely difficult time in my life...I was fortunate to be able to take brief vacations through John's book that helped make it bearable to come back into this reality and help my Mom.....So I look fondly to John's book for the wonderful way he told "his" story of his time with Jim Morrison and the Doors and for helping me personally through a very difficult time in my life.
I recommend that "everybody" read "Riders On The Storm" it is an excellent read!
Peace,
M-B

#14 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Mary-Beth @ May 14 2006, 02:18 AM) View Post

smile.gif Definitely a great book...well written.....love the way it read like a journal.....I read John's book....almost 2 years ago, it got me through my Mom's bout with lung cancer, she passed on June 5th, 2004. So even though it was a extremely difficult time in my life...I was fortunate to be able to take brief vacations through John's book that helped make it bearable to come back into this reality and help my Mom.....So I look fondly to John's book for the wonderful way he told "his" story of his time with Jim Morrison and the Doors and for helping me personally through a very difficult time in my life.
I recommend that "everybody" read "Riders On The Storm" it is an excellent read!
Peace,
M-B

I agree that "Riders on the Storm" is an excellent read. I think a real honest assessment of things as they were. I remember John writing that someone once asked him if Jim Morrison was a genius or an asshole, and he replied "he was both". One of the most honest statements in any Doors book I've ever read (and I've read almost all of them with the exception of "Wild Child".. which I have no intention of reading).

On a personal note, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother Mary-Beth. I lost my dad in January 2005, exactly one week after losing a very good friend, so I know what you went through. Tiime has started healing for me.. and I hope it's doing the same for you.

Thanks.

#15 Mary-Beth

Mary-Beth

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(gotothelight @ May 14 2006, 10:28 AM) View Post

I agree that "Riders on the Storm" is an excellent read. I think a real honest assessment of things as they were. I remember John writing that someone once asked him if Jim Morrison was a genius or an asshole, and he replied "he was both". One of the most honest statements in any Doors book I've ever read (and I've read almost all of them with the exception of "Wild Child".. which I have no intention of reading).

On a personal note, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother Mary-Beth. I lost my dad in January 2005, exactly one week after losing a very good friend, so I know what you went through. Tiime has started healing for me.. and I hope it's doing the same for you.

Thanks.

Thenk-you..."gotothelight" for your kind words and please accept my condolences on the passing of your Dad......these are very difficult times in life...and anything that helps one through is long remembered for that little bit of brighteness that help us to accept and move on......I am happy to hear that the healing has begun for you....I am on that road too.....and "The Doors" and Jim's words, and John's Book, has definitely helped.
Peace,
M-B

#16 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:51 AM

Thanks Mary-Beth.

It's quite a good feeling when someone's words (whether written, spoken, or sung) can make a difference, isn't it?

If you haven't also listened to John's book on tape, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to it. You won't be disappointed. The voice inflections, emotions, humor, drumming.. and even singing (!)... is well worth it.

Thanks.

#17 Mary-Beth

Mary-Beth

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(gotothelight @ May 15 2006, 11:51 AM) View Post

Thanks Mary-Beth.

It's quite a good feeling when someone's words (whether written, spoken, or sung) can make a difference, isn't it?

If you haven't also listened to John's book on tape, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to it. You won't be disappointed. The voice inflections, emotions, humor, drumming.. and even singing (!)... is well worth it.

Thanks.

smile.gif You are welcome gotothelight...and yes it is a very special positive felling when someone's words make a difference in your life...definitely.....and I am vry grateful when this occurs.
I haven't listened to John's book on tape as a matter of fact I must admit that i didn't even know that it was out on tape...........but now that i am aware I will definiately get a copy......hope they have it on CD though....don't have any tape players except an old walkman rolleyes.gif Thank-you so much for the info......I appreciate it and your kind comments.
Take Care and Peace,
M-B

#18 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

On The Doors Collection DVD Live At The Hollywood Bowl there is a film segment of John reading his book at a one man play at the drum kit with a headset mic on .  "Jim falls off the stage"
Is this the book on tape? Was more of it filmed? It was only a few minutes.

#19 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE(rotaryperception @ May 27 2006, 01:55 AM) View Post

On The Doors Collection DVD Live At The Hollywood Bowl there is a film segment of John reading his book at a one man play at the drum kit with a headset mic on .  "Jim falls off the stage"
Is this the book on tape? Was more of it filmed? It was only a few minutes.

The book on tape is John reading "Riders on the Storm" (in it's entirety), complete with sound effects, drumming, and even singing! I recommend it very highly. Nothing like "hearing" the book in John's own voice.

The film segment on The Doors DVD is not available in it's entirety, although if I recall, John did say something (in the "talk to John" forum) about perhaps one day getting it funded to release it the way he'd like it released. I, for one, would _love_ it..and I hope someday he does make it available for all of us.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users