41 replies to this topic

#1 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'm sure some of you have read this article,but it's a really good one for those who have not.It''s such a different take on Morrison it's refreshing and sad at the same time.

http://www.doors.com/magazine/Tony_Funches.html

#2 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 20 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure some of you have read this article,but it's a really good one for those who have not.It''s such a different take on Morrison it's refreshing and sad at the same time.

Thanks for the link to that Tim. I always thought it was an interesting and quite believable interview.

#3 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (gotothelight @ Jun 20 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the link to that Tim. I always thought it was an interesting and quite believable interview.

No problem Diane, Tony Funches comes across as an extremely honest person with no agenda to further himself.Take care.

#4 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 20 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great read, thanks TS!  Liked these quotes a lot:

Did you ever see Jim do any drugs? Heroin?

Did I SEE him do drugs? I HAD TO: I was doing them WITH HIM! Heroin? Never, hated the stuff, we both despised it. We stayed happy with toot, weed and booze ... mebbe a "strange" pill here and there.

Was it common knowledge that Pam had a heroin addiction?

Yup. You'd have a better chance of hiding a buffalo in a tube sock....

It was suggested to me by Salli Stevenson that Jim left the country to avoid going to jail. Would you agree?

No. Ridiculous, never hinted, mentioned it to any of us who knew him as much as a “loner genius” CAN BE “known” by contemporaries.... After he left, we know that The Doors continued to rehearse without him. Was it their intention all along to release an album without Jim? Not as far as I knew but I wasn't really privy to those deliberations, if they took place at all…and the rest of the guys knew of my "affinity" with Jim, so I doubt they would have wanted to discuss the topic while I was present.

#5 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I see the quotes and I know there real and I wish Jim M could have felt the people around him that represented his best interests.This isn't a game for me suggesting who and what could have been,I live in this moment Now. Now was where Morrison started and ended,in a flash of a smile and a moonlight mile. I'm at ease with his music and poem,I don't think there's much more, but thats a lot. I cherish the thought of Morrison playing pranks and feeling for a moment what he sacrificed for his musical life,Ray,Robby and John never went as far as Jim,he dove in to and  inventing the next game and arena,it's easy in hindsight to remember the moment,but who and what entity brought you there? Morrison was,drunken,spitting,blind and then almighty,all at once,able to blow off the drunk and move forward,this is not easy and should not be attempted by those of weak physical condition and trouble in mind.  JDM left a mark deep and wide because he could.TS

#6 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 20 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I see the quotes and I know there real and I wish Jim M could have felt the people around him that represented his best interests.This isn't a game for me suggesting who and what could have been,I live in this moment Now. Now was where Morrison started and ended,in a flash of a smile and a moonlight mile. I'm at ease with his music and poem,I don't think there's much more, but thats a lot. I cherish the thought of Morrison playing pranks and feeling for a moment what he sacrificed for his musical life,Ray,Robby and John never went as far as Jim,he dove in to and  inventing the next game and arena,it's easy in hindsight to remember the moment,but who and what entity brought you there? Morrison was,drunken,spitting,blind and then almighty,all at once,able to blow off the drunk and move forward,this is not easy and should not be attempted by those of weak physical condition and trouble in mind.  JDM left a mark deep and wide because he could.TS

Very good point.  You have to have the stamina as well as the passion.  I thought TF's comments about Nixon's goons being responsible for the death in Paris were intriguing, and although it smacks of conspiracy weirdness, the rest of his comments were rational.  

I personally knew about the persecution of the rock music community by international law enforcement that was going on in those days. living between London and L.A.    

TF and I agree on Tom Baker.  A destructive parasite and sociopath, who fancied himself for no good reason.  Beware the vampire!

#7 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

That was a great interview! Thanks for posting that! I love Tony Funches' writing style. He has a way with words. He mentioned a couple of times that a particular story would fill an entire book. He has so many stories to tell. I would love to read a book by him if he ever chose to write one. I don't think that he will. I'm surprised that none of the biographers ever contacted him. They missed out. He was so close to Jim and has so much valuable information to share. We certainly have not gotten the full story. There were many stories that he shared in this interview that I was not aware of. I wasn't aware that he traveled to South America to meet with Gabriel Marquez if it is indeed true. I wasn't aware that he was hassled and strip searched upon re-entering the United States. The incident immediately afterwards when Jim used that particular word in front of Tony is new to me as well. I knew that Jim had the tendency to use that word on occasion. It's unfortunate. However, Tony put it in the proper context while clarifying that Jim was not a racist. I agree, Mewsical, that the conspiracy comments were a little, or maybe a lot, out there. However, they didn't detract from the stories he had to tell, and he had many stories to tell. I'm sure he has many more stories to tell.

#8 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 20 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a great interview! Thanks for posting that! I love Tony Funches' writing style. He has a way with words. He mentioned a couple of times that a particular story would fill an entire book. He has so many stories to tell. I would love to read a book by him if he ever chose to write one. I don't think that he will. I'm surprised that none of the biographers ever contacted him. They missed out. He was so close to Jim and has so much valuable information to share. We certainly have not gotten the full story. There were many stories that he shared in this interview that I was not aware of. I wasn't aware that he traveled to South America to meet with Gabriel Marquez if it is indeed true. I wasn't aware that he was hassled and strip searched upon re-entering the United States. The incident immediately afterwards when Jim used that particular word in front of Tony is new to me as well. I knew that Jim had the tendency to use that word on occasion. It's unfortunate. However, Tony put it in the proper context while clarifying that Jim was not a racist. I agree, Mewsical, that the conspiracy comments were a little, or maybe a lot, out there. However, they didn't detract from the stories he had to tell, and he had many stories to tell. I'm sure he has many more stories to tell.

Glad you enjoyed the read,it doubtfull Funches or Babe Hill would want to cash in on a book about there old friend,they just have to much respect to want to be in that arena.Although the books would sell well.
TS

#9 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 21 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you enjoyed the read,it doubtfull Funches or Babe Hill would want to cash in on a book about there old friend,they just have to much respect to want to be in that arena.Although the books would sell well.
TS

I wish Paul Ferrara could do an interview with Babe, at the least.  

#10 GG Morrison

GG Morrison

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 20 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read this article a while back, and Mr. Funches does have a wonderfully colorful writing style.
I imagine a story of his life would make interesting reading, surviving Viet Nam AND
being one of Jim's drinking buddies!   biggrin.gif

I like so many stories like this, told by the various people in Jim's life who cared about him.

#11 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (GG Morrison @ Jun 21 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read this article a while back, and Mr. Funches does have a wonderfully colorful writing style.
I imagine a story of his life would make interesting reading, surviving Viet Nam AND
being one of Jim's drinking buddies!   biggrin.gif

I like so many stories like this, told by the various people in Jim's life who cared about him.

On top of that, he worked as a bodyguard for The Rolling Stones and was there at Altamont. The man has so many stories to tell. That combined with his writing style would make a fascinating memoir.

#12 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 21 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you ever read Morrison: A Feast of Friends by Frank Lisciandro? If not, I highly recommend it. Each chapter is written by someone who was close to Jim including Babe Hill.

#13 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 21 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be something knew but these guys are true friends and they'll carry their time with JDM to the grave,plus Paul has pontificated on his relationship.Babe wouldn't want to add anymore exploits to the drinking life of JDM,from ages 24-27 as a male you do drink with your best friend a lot,and that wouldn't serve the already tarnished image of Morrison.I respect Babe Hill for taking the high road,he's a champ and I only wish my freinds in the end would be so true.TS

#14 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 21 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be something knew but these guys are true friends and they'll carry their time with JDM to the grave,plus Paul has pontificated on his relationship.Babe wouldn't want to add anymore exploits to the drinking life of JDM,from ages 24-27 as a male you do drink with your best friend a lot,and that wouldn't serve the already tarnished image of Morrison.I respect Babe Hill for taking the high road,he's a champ and I only wish my freinds in the end would be so true.TS

The reason I suggested Paul is because he is still in touch with Babe these days.  Babe is not really up for writing, from what I understand.

#15 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 22 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I suggested Paul is because he is still in touch with Babe these days.  Babe is not really up for writing, from what I understand.

I suppose your right Mew's a good buddy book,traveling,fishing and such would be excellent.

#16 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 22 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose your right Mew's a good buddy book,traveling,fishing and such would be excellent.

I'd like to get Babe on the record about some of these women who claim to have been so 'close' to Jim, myself.  Although something tells me I already know what he'd have to say!  LOL!

Like Tony, Babe could probably also add some anecdotes, plus his perspective on what was going on would be interesting.

But, like I said, wishful thinking in all likelihood.

#17 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 21 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I see the quotes and I know there real and I wish Jim M could have felt the people around him that represented his best interests.This isn't a game for me suggesting who and what could have been,I live in this moment Now. Now was where Morrison started and ended,in a flash of a smile and a moonlight mile. I'm at ease with his music and poem,I don't think there's much more, but thats a lot. I cherish the thought of Morrison playing pranks and feeling for a moment what he sacrificed for his musical life,Ray,Robby and John never went as far as Jim,he dove in to and inventing the next game and arena,it's easy in hindsight to remember the moment,but who and what entity brought you there? Morrison was,drunken,spitting,blind and then almighty,all at once,able to blow off the drunk and move forward,this is not easy and should not be attempted by those of weak physical condition and trouble in mind. JDM left a mark deep and wide because he could.TS

TS.....very well said!!!!!!!!!!!  j

#18 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 21 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you ever read Morrison: A Feast of Friends by Frank Lisciandro? If not, I highly recommend it. Each chapter is written by someone who was close to Jim including Babe Hill.

I have that book and what you say is right, there are also plenty of pictures to add to the stories.  j.

#19 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (MeagerFood521 @ Jun 22 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TS.....very well said!!!!!!!!!!!  j

Thanks Meag and I hope your doing well.Best
TS

#20 HWY4371

HWY4371

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

reading both frank book you can clearly reading that frank "dislike" who say to be morrison friend. i have meet him two times for a few minutes in '96 and '00 circa  when he lived near my city, and i had phone conversation 2 or 3 times.  but for this, i don't say to be frank friend like someone say at morrison.

keep dreaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users