mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 18 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read The Last Stage.  This is my Amazon review from last November:

"When we first meet Michael Gray, the protagonist of The Last Stage, he is looking back on his fateful journey to Los Angeles to become not just a rock star, but a living testament to his hero, 60s rock icon and lead singer of the Doors, Jim Morrison.

Michael is not a particularly gifted musician nor a very successful or likable human being, but he is loaded with ambition, a Morrison lookalike, possessed by a dream of becoming his hero's successor and to make it to stardom. Michael, who lives in Wisconsin with a life that's going nowhere, finagles his way into a local band, and then persuades them to get on board with his dream of superstardom as a Doors tribute band. Somewhat reluctantly, the band agrees to give up their own dream of success, and they accompany Michael on a herky-jerky national tour as a Doors tribute band, The Unknown Soldiers. The band does quite well. In fact, too well.

Michael ultimately succumbs to the lure of stardom. And, as with so many who come to Hollywood in search of the mirage of fame and fortune, he finds himself, for a brief moment, almost able to grasp the brass ring, only to see it slip away, while the spoils go to the final victors.

Jim Cherry keeps the reader fully engaged in the rise and fall of the luckless and mendacious Michael Gray, with a sure and skillful understanding of the vagaries of the band life and the consequences of vaulting ambition. His characters are well-drawn and memorable, and the plot twists at the end worthy of any study of the pursuit of success.

A great page turner for anyone interested in the inner workings of band relationships, the price of fame and the workings of karma.

Highly recommended."

Spot on,well written review.

#22 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Thanks!  smile.gif

#23 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (GG Morrison @ Jun 18 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember he joked that he would write one after everybody was dead.   laugh.gif

But since then, I saw an announcement or something that he's decided to go ahead and write one.
I hope he is and that it will be out before too long.

Now that you mention it, I remember that joke as well.

I did a Google search and couldn't find anything although, admittedly, I didn't look very hard. I hope that he writes one and that it will be out soon as well. Being that he and Jim were the songwriters and that Robby was influenced as a songwriter by Jim, I think that Robby has a unique perspective.

#24 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 19 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that you mention it, I remember that joke as well.

I did a Google search and couldn't find anything although, admittedly, I didn't look very hard. I hope that he writes one and that it will be out soon as well. Being that he and Jim were the songwriters and that Robby was influenced as a songwriter by Jim, I think that Robby has a unique perspective.

Robby came up with LMF all on his own-some, and all Jim did was add the line 'no time to wallow in the mire.'  Robby writes perfectly good songs without influence from Jim, and vice versa.  They wrote together and they wrote separately.  That's a good thing in a band - adds variety.  

#25 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 19 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Robby came up with LMF all on his own-some, and all Jim did was add the line 'no time to wallow in the mire.'  Robby writes perfectly good songs without influence from Jim, and vice versa.  They wrote together and they wrote separately.  That's a good thing in a band - adds variety.

I agree that Robby was a good song-writer on his own, but he has stated numerous times that Jim suggested that they try to write songs about the elements, earth, air, fire and water. He said that he decided to go with fire for Light My Fire. He decided to go with the elements in Yes, The River Knows and Wishful Sinful as well. They did write together sometimes. Robby has mentioned that he and Jim would work up songs together which is why he has a unique perspective.

#26 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 11 2009, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading Jim Cherry's book "The last Stage" and I find myself slowing down my reading because I don't ever want to finish this book,I wish he could just keep writing chapter after chapter and keep them coming. This book holds truths that only a true Doors fan and historian can write and Jim is apparently both,how? I don't know,Did I come on to endorse Mr. Cherry's book? No. It's just a great read and my hats off to this cat,he found a niche and a way to express his love of the Doors and write a novel at the same time,try that.
Best TS

I just got Jim's book and I am taking it down the shore with me ... I know it will be a terrific read.   Jacky

#27 worm man

worm man

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

I think the timing is right for the release of your book "The Greed Gene" John...the news is full of the rich whining about being the ones unfairly taxed to pay for the health care bill...the rich are soooo unpatriotic

#28 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (worm man @ Jul 2 2009, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the timing is right for the release of your book "The Greed Gene" John...the news is full of the rich whining about being the ones unfairly taxed to pay for the health care bill...the rich are soooo unpatriotic

We should be hearing about John's new book (which I believe is not going to be called 'The Greed Gene' ) any time now....

#29 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 20 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that Robby was a good song-writer on his own, but he has stated numerous times that Jim suggested that they try to write songs about the elements, earth, air, fire and water. He said that he decided to go with fire for Light My Fire. He decided to go with the elements in Yes, The River Knows and Wishful Sinful as well. They did write together sometimes. Robby has mentioned that he and Jim would work up songs together which is why he has a unique perspective.

we pretty much have robby's perspective anyway in interviews and in the doors by the doors.  Wouldn't it make the doors look to representive.  John wrote his book and its the best by a group member, ray came out with his and the expectations were high and we have been listening to ray's stories in years so his book offered little perspective except it seemed to be a response to all other doors stuff like what he thought of oliver stone and what jim, in his mind thought of john, I guess if robby wanted to write one he could but what fresh meat do we really need to bring to the table?

#30 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (MeagerFood521 @ Jun 22 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just got Jim's book and I am taking it down the shore with me ... I know it will be a terrific read.   Jacky

Ah, I was wondering if you got it. Watch out for the sand in between the pages!

#31 Sunday Trucker

Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 11 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW! Thank you Tim! If I was Charles Dickens & the book was a serial I would just keep writing new chapters! How, did I do it? Probably, way too many hours thinking about The Doors!  laugh.gif I'm glad you like it! & thanks for the endorsement.

The idea of chapters would be a great creative challenge Jym and I think you would do great! Your book is very, I mean, not only enterntaining it bring thoughts over many aspects of the band too.

I recomend, if anyone wants to read my review: --> thedoorscomics.blogspot.com

I was going to say something about John's book too but now I forgot...well, it was already off topic when I got here. Hope John comes and fix this up!

cool.gif

#32 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

Just to update you guys a bit on John book...he is currently waiting for the right fit for a publisher.  I'll keep you guys informed if I hear more.

#33 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (knowidea @ Jul 3 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to update you guys a bit on John book...he is currently waiting for the right fit for a publisher.  I'll keep you guys informed if I hear more.

Thank you for the update! Would it be possible to get a hint as to what we can expect, the title, what the book is about, anything?

#34 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

May become another national best seller

#35 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jul 3 2009, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the update! Would it be possible to get a hint as to what we can expect, the title, what the book is about, anything?

Sorry, can't give that away as of yet...hang in there though.

#36 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Sunday Trucker @ Jul 2 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea of chapters would be a great creative challenge Jym and I think you would do great! Your book is very, I mean, not only enterntaining it bring thoughts over many aspects of the band too.

I recomend, if anyone wants to read my review: --> thedoorscomics.blogspot.com

I was going to say something about John's book too but now I forgot...well, it was already off topic when I got here. Hope John comes and fix this up!

cool.gif

Trucker///I certainly will read it...amd I suggest all forum members follow suit.  Jacky

#37 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (knowidea @ Jul 4 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, can't give that away as of yet...hang in there though.

We will, we will, we will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

I got the newsletter, so I thought that I'd revive this old thread. John or Jim, I know that you can't give us an exact date on when the book will be published, but is there any other information you can give us? John, is your time with The Doors or your time after The Doors the focus of your book? Any information you can give us would be much appreciated!

#39 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jan 23 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the newsletter, so I thought that I'd revive this old thread. John or Jim, I know that you can't give us an exact date on when the book will be published, but is there any other information you can give us? John, is your time with The Doors or your time after The Doors the focus of your book? Any information you can give us would be much appreciated!

I thought the book john was working on was a novel based around about the time of the mid to late sixties in response to the vietnam war or people's views on that period or similar to what his article he wrote for the nation was about.  He has already done one on his time with and without the doors.

#40 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (mutenostrilagony @ Jan 24 2010, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the book john was working on was a novel based around about the time of the mid to late sixties in response to the vietnam war or people's views on that period or similar to what his article he wrote for the nation was about.  He has already done one on his time with and without the doors.

John definitely hasn't written a novel, since that would be fiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users