#1 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi John.....

Not to bug you as I know you are a busy man, but is there any leadtime on your new book?
Also, will you be playing in the Philadelphia,PA area anytime in the near future?
My husband and I saw Tribal Jazz at the Keswick (Jenkintown, PA) last June and we really want to see you guys again and again!!!!

Jacky

#2 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

While you're waiting for John's book you can fill in the time reading mine!  wink.gif

#3 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 2 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While you're waiting for John's book you can fill in the time reading mine! wink.gif

J.  Will do!!!

#4 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (MeagerFood521 @ Jun 3 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
J.  Will do!!!

Now, if everyone else can take direction that easily!  laugh.gif

#5 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (MeagerFood521 @ Jun 3 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
J.  Will do!!!

You won't be sorry, honest.

#6 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 3 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, if everyone else can take direction that easily! laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

#7 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Oh I can't wait to read the second one, I enjoyed Riders on the Storm so much! smile.gif

#8 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

Is this forthcoming book The Greed Gene that John had mentioned earlier or is it something else?

#9 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 10 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this forthcoming book The Greed Gene that John had mentioned earlier or is it something else?

I could be wrong…but I heard that he was coming out with a sequel to Riders on the Storm..maybe if John sees this he can shed some light!  biggrin.gif

#10 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Sacha @ Jun 10 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could be wrong…but I heard that he was coming out with a sequel to Riders on the Storm..maybe if John sees this he can shed some light!  biggrin.gif

If it is a sequel to Riders On The Storm, I wonder what else he would have to say on the matter. I loved Riders On The Storm. I read it twice. However, the book covered pretty much everything through Other Voices, Full Circle and the break-up of the band. John stated awhile ago that he was working on a book called The Greed Gene about, in part, his legal battle with his former bandmates.

#11 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

I guess we will all see won't we?   Yooooo John, any hints coming our way??????????    Jacky

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 10 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is a sequel to Riders On The Storm, I wonder what else he would have to say on the matter. I loved Riders On The Storm. I read it twice. However, the book covered pretty much everything through Other Voices, Full Circle and the break-up of the band. John stated awhile ago that he was working on a book called The Greed Gene about, in part, his legal battle with his former bandmates.

#12 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 2 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While you're waiting for John's book you can fill in the time reading mine!  wink.gif

I'm reading Jim Cherry's book "The last Stage" and I find myself slowing down my reading because I don't ever want to finish this book,I wish he could just keep writing chapter after chapter and keep them coming. This book holds truths that only a true Doors fan and historian can write and Jim is apparently both,how? I don't know,Did I come on to endorse Mr. Cherry's book? No. It's just a great read and my hats off to this cat,he found a niche and a way to express his love of the Doors and write a novel at the same time,try that.
Best TS

#13 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 10 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading Jim Cherry's book "The last Stage" and I find myself slowing down my reading because I don't ever want to finish this book,I wish he could just keep writing chapter after chapter and keep them coming. This book holds truths that only a true Doors fan and historian can write and Jim is apparently both,how? I don't know,Did I come on to endorse Mr. Cherry's book? No. It's just a great read and my hats off to this cat,he found a niche and a way to express his love of the Doors and write a novel at the same time,try that.
Best TS

WOW! Thank you Tim! If I was Charles Dickens & the book was a serial I would just keep writing new chapters! How, did I do it? Probably, way too many hours thinking about The Doors!  laugh.gif I'm glad you like it! & thanks for the endorsement.

#14 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (jym @ Jun 11 2009, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW! Thank you Tim! If I was Charles Dickens & the book was a serial I would just keep writing new chapters! How, did I do it? Probably, way too many hours thinking about The Doors!  laugh.gif I'm glad you like it! & thanks for the endorsement.

Hey Jim,It's true about Dickens and even Steven King, yoor book is a wonder for Doors fans.Thank you. I've got to say until I read John Densmores booh on his experience as a Door I never really had the full story. If i was 17 years old today I'd pick up Densmore's book before "No One Here Gets Our Alive". Densmore's book written before the Doors of the 21th century conflict remains a true testament to what there music is.

#15 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 16 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jim,It's true about Dickens and even Steven King, yoor book is a wonder for Doors fans.Thank you. I've got to say until I read John Densmores booh on his experience as a Door I never really had the full story. If i was 17 years old today I'd pick up Densmore's book before "No One Here Gets Our Alive". Densmore's book written before the Doors of the 21th century conflict remains a true testament to what there music is.

Serials are great.  When I was at boarding school, I started one which I would read to the assembled multitudes (read: some of my schoolmates in the common room after supper).  however, I found that I was gathering more and more listeners as time went on.  Ultimately, it was a lot of pressure having to come up with a new chapter every day or so, as well as deal with life.  I suppose you could do that on a blog, and charge folks a few cents to read the new episodes, much as Dickens did.  There was a club bouncer, who worked here in L.A., who did that.  He would do his diary entries, but I believe it was for free.  Then he got a publishing deal.  

Agreed about Riders On The Storm against NOHGOA.  They should be read together.  

I'm really looking forward to John's second book, and also Robby, should he ever get around to it!

#16 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 16 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Serials are great.  When I was at boarding school, I started one which I would read to the assembled multitudes (read: some of my schoolmates in the common room after supper).  however, I found that I was gathering more and more listeners as time went on.  Ultimately, it was a lot of pressure having to come up with a new chapter every day or so, as well as deal with life.  I suppose you could do that on a blog, and charge folks a few cents to read the new episodes, much as Dickens did.  There was a club bouncer, who worked here in L.A., who did that.  He would do his diary entries, but I believe it was for free.  Then he got a publishing deal.  

I'm really looking forward to John's second book, and also Robby, should he ever get around to it!

#17 mojosmoothy

mojosmoothy

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jun 16 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mew's you have to read Jim Cherry's book The Last Stage,serious,it's a gas. I agree with you and Cherry man on the next literary talent,it's coming from the internet blogs and people who post there work with out profit motive,as is the same with film making and Frank Coppola has stated this before,I only wish his daughter was one of them but she's only an example of nepotism gone wrong.

#18 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (mojosmoothy @ Jun 17 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mew's you have to read Jim Cherry's book The Last Stage,serious,it's a gas. I agree with you and Cherry man on the next literary talent,it's coming from the internet blogs and people who post there work with out profit motive,as is the same with film making and Frank Coppola has stated this before,I only wish his daughter was one of them but she's only an example of nepotism gone wrong.

I've read The Last Stage.  This is my Amazon review from last November:

"When we first meet Michael Gray, the protagonist of The Last Stage, he is looking back on his fateful journey to Los Angeles to become not just a rock star, but a living testament to his hero, 60s rock icon and lead singer of the Doors, Jim Morrison.

Michael is not a particularly gifted musician nor a very successful or likable human being, but he is loaded with ambition, a Morrison lookalike, possessed by a dream of becoming his hero's successor and to make it to stardom. Michael, who lives in Wisconsin with a life that's going nowhere, finagles his way into a local band, and then persuades them to get on board with his dream of superstardom as a Doors tribute band. Somewhat reluctantly, the band agrees to give up their own dream of success, and they accompany Michael on a herky-jerky national tour as a Doors tribute band, The Unknown Soldiers. The band does quite well. In fact, too well.

Michael ultimately succumbs to the lure of stardom. And, as with so many who come to Hollywood in search of the mirage of fame and fortune, he finds himself, for a brief moment, almost able to grasp the brass ring, only to see it slip away, while the spoils go to the final victors.

Jim Cherry keeps the reader fully engaged in the rise and fall of the luckless and mendacious Michael Gray, with a sure and skillful understanding of the vagaries of the band life and the consequences of vaulting ambition. His characters are well-drawn and memorable, and the plot twists at the end worthy of any study of the pursuit of success.

A great page turner for anyone interested in the inner workings of band relationships, the price of fame and the workings of karma.

Highly recommended."

#19 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

John released Riders on the Storm at around the time the Oliver Stone film was released. Perhaps he will release the new book to coincide with the release of the documentary.

People keep discussing the possible release of a book by Robby. Has Robby stated that he is definately going to write a book? I remember him mentioning that he would write a book if he ever got bored, but I don't remember him stating that he was definately going to write one.

#20 GG Morrison

GG Morrison

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Encuentro @ Jun 18 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John released Riders on the Storm at around the time the Oliver Stone film was released. Perhaps he will release the new book to coincide with the release of the documentary.

People keep discussing the possible release of a book by Robby. Has Robby stated that he is definately going to write a book? I remember him mentioning that he would write a book if he ever got bored, but I don't remember him stating that he was definately going to write one.

I remember he joked that he would write one after everybody was dead.   laugh.gif

But since then, I saw an announcement or something that he's decided to go ahead and write one.
I hope he is and that it will be out before too long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users