John's drumming influence on you personally.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

Having discovered The Doors music at an early age (age 5) thanks to an older brother leaving his records around........I immediately picked up on the percussion aspect of the band.  At such a young age.......the element of the beat is probably most notable.   I remember taking our old RCA Victor stereo (what a beast) and turning it just to the left speaker so as to hear only the bass line and John's drums.  That is how I would listen to the record.   No organ.......no guitar........just a rhythm section and the vocals.   It sounded GREAT especially on that debut album.  They would ultimately mix things up latter down the road.   Eventually,  I would end up pleading with my parents to let me take drum lessons and eventually purchase a Ludwig 4 piece (circa 1964) just like John's.  Had to have the same thing to try to sound the same way, right?  Pretty cool for a young punk in elementary school.   Playing drums was a favorite past time of mine and kept me from suffering boredom like most of my playmates.  As junior high and high school rolled around I decided to take up guitar for the mere aspect of if you were alone - it was easier to impress a chick playing a tune on the guitar than banging out the latest beat as she covered her ears.   Anyway, a musical instrument has always been a big part of my life (kept me out of tons of trouble) and it all started hearing that beat out of the LEFT speaker.   Anyone else have similar stories??

#2 OtherCircles

OtherCircles

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

Not my personality as a person but as I occasionally expieriment in drumming and writing drum parts with my own drummer.. alot of Densmoreism's rear their head.

#3 Hamlet

Hamlet

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

One beat that I always strive when playing halftempo tracks is that laid back almost shufflebeat from The Changeling.

Another one that kills me every time is The Wasp.

But it is the whole structure of the song.

#4 OcarinaGirl

OcarinaGirl

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

I think I might have missed my calling, but generally speaking, is there any problem for a person who is left handed to play the drums equally well, all other things aside?

Just curious..

rolleyes.gif

#5 Hamlet

Hamlet

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

No problem!

The hihat is to your right, bassdrum to your left.

Righthands has hihat to the left and bass drum to the right.

Ian Paice from Deep Purple is left-handed.

#6 The Keys

The Keys

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

John Densmore is the heart beat of The Doors!

No, wait!
It's more than that,
John Densmore was the heart beat of Jim Morrison. And this is why Jim - when it came to trust, justice and honesty - he chose John, because John was reliable and Jim knew this.
Personally I was much influenced by John's cymbals and drum "accent", because when the words were sang, spoken, whispered or screamed, John's musical genius directed attention to the poetry being played, theatrically.
John and Jim?
Rhythmic Tribal Soul Mates!
And I was influenced by this Mighty Power, it's there in my Spirit and it's still alive.

I discovered The Doors music at 12/13. Then at the age of 14 I asked my mother to pay me drum lessons. I had tried piano when I was 8 but I had no discipline so I quit. My mother was not very happy about paying for drum lessons but I managed to convince her. The guy who taught me a few things was blind, yeah - amazing! But he played very well. He had a wooden Ludwig and I enjoyed much going there twice a week. Some 8 months later I was forced to quit because my teacher moved to a major University in the north; he was very good in spite of being blind.
Strangely enough, and a couple of weeks later - I started to play guitar on my own and till today it's the only instrument I can play some chords.

cool.gif

#7 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

I have been playing drums for almost 25 years now and John has been a major influence for at least 18 years of that. I play a lot of different styles and John's jazz chops are what really got me serius about improving my rudiments. He has a wonderful light touch, but can also roar when needed. He fits the songs just perfect. I especially love the live stuff. It is great having all of this BMR stuff available. It really shows the band in a different light. I personally like the live atmosphere of just drums, organ/bass guitar and vocals. That to me was the REAL doors. The studio stuff is great in its own right as well, but I don't care for the real bass as much. The Doors were unique because of their lack of a bass player.

#8 mystery_train67

mystery_train67

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:43 AM

Changeling isnt a shuffle.... a good example of shuffle is Love me two times, or Roadhouse Blues.   Changeling does groove like mo' fo' though!

QUOTE(Hamlet @ Aug 8 2005, 10:36 PM)
One beat that I always strive when playing halftempo tracks is that laid back almost shufflebeat from The Changeling.

Another one that kills me every time is The Wasp.

But it is the whole structure of the song.

View Post

#9 onemat

onemat

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

Did John inspire me? My God YES!
I made the move from table top, to snare to 3 piece drum kit around 1966. The following summer I heard Light My Fire and the whole first album for the first time. The Bossa groove for "Break On Through" is still a challenge for me to play at that fast clip. John, please consider moving to Nashville to give me some lessons!
By the way, I'm glad I stumbled on this website and found that John is still very active today...
Matt

#10 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

wrong place sorry!

John did not influence my drumming at all as I can't play for toffee....just posted in the wrong spot...oops!  smile.gif

#11 King Morrison

King Morrison

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

Johnīs drum fills are unique i think, i cant explain, but i havent heard that kind of fills anywhere else.

#12 Hamlet

Hamlet

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(mystery_train67 @ Oct 9 2005, 02:43 PM)
Changeling isnt a shuffle.... a good example of shuffle is Love me two times, or Roadhouse Blues.   Changeling does groove like mo' fo' though!

View Post

That is for sure triplet shuffling.

Changeling has the same feeling. If you play it straight it ainīt The Changeling.

It is a loose shuffling feeling.

#13 Bigbrowneyes

Bigbrowneyes

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:43 AM

Many times through my first 18 years of life, I  asked my parents to buy me a musical instrument or pay for lessons but all I ever had was a recorder and some mind numbingly boring guitar lessons with my  Dad where I learnt to play the tune of 'Good King Wenslas', then decided that not only was it terribly boring but the strings cut into my fingers and I could'nt stand the pain!   Then I wanted to play the Saxophone and the reply came "No, you'll get bored with it and a sax is too expensive", they were probably right!  Not untill I was 19 and my grandparents gave me Ģ500 was I able to go out and buy a drum kit.  A gloss white Pearl Export set (same colour but different brand from Lars Ulrick's).  I got a tuition cassette and book and off I went learning the very basic stuff, only coming unstuck once I got to trying to include fills.  I had to concentrate so much on keeping time that I could'nt interupt it to add a fill!!  It sounds stupid I know, especially for all you experienced drummers.  Time moved on, I moved out of home, started a family, got married and had neither the time or the space for my kit, so I sold it.  There ends my drumming!  I would love to be able to take it up again but finances and time (and yet again, physical space, don't allow it).

Like one of the other members here, I tend to pick out the bass line and the drums in all music, oh and I'm not a long time Doors fan, I first heard their music at about age 13 (1988) when my brother borrowed 'The Best Of' album from a friend.  In the mid '90's my now husband borrowed 'L A Woman' and I thought it sounded like some alchoholic guy who's singing was'nt great.  My, how things change! biggrin.gif   I have read alot about Jim and love to watch the Doors DVDS.  I wish I had liked them my whole life, things might have been alot different if I had not been so shallow, but I suppose teenagers can tend to be like that.

I am 30 now and have been suprised at how many other areas of interest have opened up to me just by being a Doors fan.

How do you all play without your neighbours hearing it? Practise pads or a separate garage or barn?

#14 Kommander Kool

Kommander Kool

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:05 PM

He hasn't personally influenced me, because I'm not really musical. But some of Johns drumming is amazing, there might not be solos as such, but, wow, does he have some cool intros and little beats every now and then. smile.gif

#15 metalhippie

metalhippie

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

when i first started listing to the doors i didnt really get john drumming i was 12 then i didn`t play the drums yet now only a year later being more infatuated with the doors and being a drummer myself i`ve found how absoloutly ingenious it is not bad for a girl huh lol

#16 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

I have been meaning to make this posting for a while regarding my son, James who has been playing drums since he was three years old.  John, you were James' influence in picking up a pair of drum sticks.  

James just turned 15 last month and is still an avid drum player today.  The drum kit he has now is made up of primarily Premiere pieces.  During the weekdays after homework he will sit at that drum kit for 3 to 4 hours every evening.  On the weekends, he spends a majority of the day out in the garage practicing.

I do take him to concerts he wants to see and he seems to get alot ideas from different drummers he sees and hears.

Unfortunately the funds to his music department at school were drastically cut so we are paying for private lessons for him so that he can continue learning to read and write music.  

He has been fortunate enough to sit in with some local bands in the area.  The band members are much older than he is but he stays with them and they have commented that hes definately got talent.

John, I don't know where James will go with his musicial abilities in the future but I thank you for the positive influence you have on my son.

I was digging through an old box of photos that were taken when we lived in San Diego and here is one of James in 1994 when he was three years old. Thats a Remo kit scaled down verison.   He's had several drum kits and I'm sure this kit he has now will continue to change.

This is James in our garage this past weekend.  Now 15 years old.

#17 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

he looks really happy  cool.gif

drums are fascinating.
it's an instant attraction.

#18 elshaman

elshaman

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

yes

#19 Lukas Perny

Lukas Perny

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Lucas Perny - Snakes In Psychedelic Winterland (inspired by Densmore and his solo projects)

#20 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (darkstar @ Jan 23 2007, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been meaning to make this posting for a while regarding my son, James who has been playing drums since he was three years old. John, you were James' influence in picking up a pair of drum sticks.

James just turned 15 last month and is still an avid drum player today. The drum kit he has now is made up of primarily Premiere pieces. During the weekdays after homework he will sit at that drum kit for 3 to 4 hours every evening. On the weekends, he spends a majority of the day out in the garage practicing.

I do take him to concerts he wants to see and he seems to get alot ideas from different drummers he sees and hears.

Unfortunately the funds to his music department at school were drastically cut so we are paying for private lessons for him so that he can continue learning to read and write music.

He has been fortunate enough to sit in with some local bands in the area. The band members are much older than he is but he stays with them and they have commented that hes definately got talent.

John, I don't know where James will go with his musicial abilities in the future but I thank you for the positive influence you have on my son.

I was digging through an old box of photos that were taken when we lived in San Diego and here is one of James in 1994 when he was three years old. Thats a Remo kit scaled down verison. He's had several drum kits and I'm sure this kit he has now will continue to change.

This is James in our garage this past weekend. Now 15 years old.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sara....he has the look of fame................j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users