111 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Debut

• Official
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

I used to think of the phrase as corny. That's because for the last twenty years or so, it was! I hope I don't sound anti-American, but since the election I've changed and uttered it several times. The phrase is: "I'm proud to be an American." I really am. It still feels funny in my mouth, but it feels real.
I think that if the last 8 years hadn’t been so bad, we wouldn't have had the courage to take the African leap. It seems when times are really rough; there's a chance for something really healing to slip through. Not only is the entire world cheering, but also the Islamic fundamentalists have had some of the wind taken out of their sails. They're confused. We elected a black man with "Hussain" as his middle name!
I hope the Doors fan who dissed me for my youtube video ("Doors Drummer Comes Out of the Closet") gets this. He criticized me for encouraging people to vote for a Muslim. Not only is Barack NOT a Muslim, but the world climate towards the U.S. is ALREADY much more sympathetic towards us because of Obama.
We must learn from our past. The last decade of authoritarianism has acerbated our relations with other countries - so let's try negotiation. Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace (personally I wanted to hurl right back at the attackers... shows you that I have a ways to go with anger management). So we have an example in our President-elect of how to take the road of dignity on a personal level as well as nationally. Can we give the man the benefit of the doubt and support and trust that he's just what we need right now? He's pretty smart. Let's turn the other cheek and all pull together and take this magnificent multicultural vessel to the boat dock - fix it, and set sail. Thanks for listening, jd

#2 mystery train

mystery train

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

John, I hope you're right. Living in Europe, my picture of the US-Politics has been damaged severely by Bush in those last 8 years.
I really wish the USA they can grow as a country. I mean you are so huge! On one side this is an advantage (high number = much power), on the other hand it can be really difficult to get a national feeling (lots of views = lots of conflicts). For me Obama seems like the wise choice. I think he has the ability to move the masses and therefor can make a change happen. But still: we're talking about politics. Obama alone can not make a change happen. The citizens of the US have to get together one more time.

I remember once I wrote Bill Clinton a letter in my days when I lived in Washington. I was 12 years old and very worried about the Tropical rain forest beeing cut down. So I wrote Bill he should do something about it. Guess what, I really got an answer. Sure, it was a standartisized letter, but it got me to think. It said something like: don't ask what a country can do for you, but what can you do for your country?

So yes, Obama is a good choice, but his success will depend not only on "his" politics, but also on every single US-citizen.

#3 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (John @ Nov 23 2008, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to think of the phrase as corny. That's because for the last twenty years or so, it was! I hope I don't sound anti-American, but since the election I've changed and uttered it several times. The phrase is: "I'm proud to be an American." I really am. It still feels funny in my mouth, but it feels real.
I think that if the last 8 years hadn't been so bad, we wouldn't have had the courage to take the African leap. It seems when times are really rough; there's a chance for something really healing to slip through. Not only is the entire world cheering, but also the Islamic fundamentalists have had some of the wind taken out of their sails. They're confused. We elected a black man with "Hussain" as his middle name!
I hope the Doors fan who dissed me for my youtube video ("Doors Drummer Comes Out of the Closet") gets this. He criticized me for encouraging people to vote for a Muslim. Not only is Barack NOT a Muslim, but the world climate towards the U.S. is ALREADY much more sympathetic towards us because of Obama.
We must learn from our past. The last decade of authoritarianism has acerbated our relations with other countries - so let's try negotiation. Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace (personally I wanted to hurl right back at the attackers... shows you that I have a ways to go with anger management). So we have an example in our President-elect of how to take the road of dignity on a personal level as well as nationally. Can we give the man the benefit of the doubt and support and trust that he's just what we need right now? He's pretty smart. Let's turn the other cheek and all pull together and take this magnificent multicultural vessel to the boat dock - fix it, and set sail. Thanks for listening, jd

Sure the phrase "proud to be an American" can be construed as "corny", but this is the second time in this decade that it's felt 'right' to say it. The first time was immediately after 911, during the rescue/recovery period at Ground Zero. Volunteers from all over this country were here in NYC, doing anything and everything that needed to be done. I knew several people that were part of the endless bucket brigades of those first few weeks, who told me stories of standing side by side with people from all over the country, who were there simply because they wanted to help. There was an enormous sense of pride at that time.

And now again, I feel that same sense of pride. This country voted it's conscience, overlooked racial and ethnic boundaries, and elected Barack Hussein Obama as it's new president. Young voters and first time voters came out in droves to let their voices be heard, which to me, speaks volumes.

It's the ignorant and narrow-minded people who choose to criticize John, and we're all hearing the racial/ethnic "jokes" that have been circulating by these same people since the election. It's my hope that the man we elected can be an example of rising above all of that with grace and dignity.

With that being said.. may he stay safe.

#4 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

This is a series of photos taken backstage while Obama and his family and friends await the results of the election and the turn of the tide of history.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barackobamado...716313371/show/

#5 Sunday Trucker

Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Hi John, congratulations to all americans for that.

In Brazil we had a very similar change 5 years ago, we elected for president a politician with a "working class" background. I cried as I saw the man on TV during the ceremony when he read his briliant speech. Well, things are not too diferent, he has caused a lot of disappointment, I don't know how it would have been the other way...but he seemed to just keep things going as they always had. I tend to think now that politicians are meant to do that: keep things the same way as long as they can. And I remember Thoreau's words: "The best government is that which governs least".

Let's hope that's not the case...

Daniel

#6 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Sunday Trucker @ Nov 23 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Brazil we had a very similar change 5 years ago, we elected for president a politician with a "working class" background. I cried as I saw the man on TV during the ceremony when he read his briliant speech. Well, things are not too diferent, he has caused a lot of disappointment, I don't know how it would have been the other way...but he seemed to just keep things going as they always had. I tend to think now that politicians are meant to do that: keep things the same way as long as they can. And I remember Thoreau's words: "The best government is that which governs least".

Daniel

Hopefully, Obama has studied your country's mistakes.  He seems to be very good at studying world political history.  We've had 8 years of a man who has little or no interest in studying anything.  

#7 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

I guess he figured he just needed to study the bible...must have really honed in on those areas about destruction.

#8 worm man

worm man

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Sunday Trucker @ Nov 23 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Daniel

Sounds like were electing referees not leaders...

#9 worm man

worm man

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (knowidea @ Nov 24 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess he figured he just needed to study the bible...must have really honed in on those areas about destruction.

That's how you identify nut jobs...

#10 John

John

Debut

• Official
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Nov 24 2008, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully, Obama has studied your country's mistakes.  He seems to be very good at studying world political history.  We've had 8 years of a man who has little or no interest in studying anything.

I don't think the message from the person in Brazil means that it was a mistake electing "Lula" as president... I think the writer is trying to say that politics is so grid-locked, that even electing someone who is for the people... they have an extremely tuff time getting change through, jd

#11 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

I think the dilemma of this problem was written about quite nicely in this article by Jim Kunstler.  Everyone should read it.
Article

#12 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (knowidea @ Nov 26 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the dilemma of this problem was written about quite nicely in this article by Jim Kunstler.  Everyone should read it.
Article

I was born just after the end of WW2 in the UK.  I still remember rationing, one egg a week, 1/4 inch of bathwater and bathing every other day, if that, and so on.  Somehow, we muddled through and got things back off the ground.  America is far from that badly off.  So, people may have to learn how to grow vegetables in their gardens and drive their cars into the ground, let alone experience other discomforts for the sake of recovery.  

At present, I have gone from earning a decent living as a part-time paralegal making a couple of thousand bucks a month, to earning really nothing, working about ten hours a week with a lawyer in his 90s, and interviewing for dog-walking/pet care over the holidays.  Luckily I have a kind landlord, otherwise I would be pushing a shopping cart and living in my 13 year old car.  There's food stamps in my immediate future - as is the case with 30 millions other Americans - and probably general relief as well.  I have never had to do that before.  And this is not the fault of PE Obama.  This is the fault of Bush and his buddies and the status quo in DC.  However, something tells me that even they are feeling the pinch, and might be more cooperative in assisting the Obama presidency.  The Bush people have already said how impressed they are with the transition that is going on.

Reality always comes a-knockin' in every life.  This is America's wake-up call, but luckily we have a very committed incoming administration who don't seem to be afraid to take on the task.  It's up to Americans to put their shoulders to the wheel as well.  

#13 Salli

Salli

Strange Days

• Omega
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (John @ Nov 23 2008, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One can be proud to be an American and still not like what its leaders do.

I think pride in our country should center on our people and what they as a whole stand for, not what our leaders do or fail to do to uphold that pride. Remember, those who make it difficult to be proud of what America's elected officials do can be fired every four years.

I have never not been proud of America and what America is. I have often been angry about what those we elect have chosen to do while disregarding our wishes. There is a difference.

I hope the Doors fan who dissed me for my youtube video ("Doors Drummer Comes Out of the Closet") gets this. He criticized me for encouraging people to vote for a Muslim.

I am sorry that John was criticized for voting for a Muslim. No one in this country has the right to criticize anybody in this country for voting for any race or religion. They are all equal under our laws. We are supposed to be able to vote for whomever we wish without being chastized for it. Our vote is private and our own to decide.

Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace

To be fair, in this election everyone who ran was attacked with hateful rhetoric. No one was exempt. That unfortunately is something that all inclusive and ugly.  

Can we give the man the benefit of the doubt and support and trust that he's just what we need right now? He's pretty smart. Let's turn the other cheek and all pull together and take this magnificent multicultural vessel to the boat dock - fix it, and set sail. Thanks for listening, jd

I agree, the President Elect has a horrendous mess to clear up and we will have understand that he will not be able to fulfill all his campaign promises within the four-year time span he has been given. I feel that we will need to be patient more than anything else and as John said, "pull together," if we want this mess cleaned up.

#14 sandman

sandman

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

Here`s an interesting coincidence, or not. This was emailed to us last week.

On the I April 2004 http://www.wewillnotbesilenced.com was launched. It featured a phenomenal speaker by the name of Rev Graylan Hagler from the United Church of Christ in Washington DC.

In July 2004, a young unknown prospective senator from Chicago delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention. Barack Obama is a member of the United Church of Christ in Chicago.

In January 2005, Barack Obama became the junior senator for Chicago.

The movie, which was edited and re- released in August 2005 is regarded as possibly the best piece of agit-prop ever to hit the internet, drawing over 10 million views and by general consensus, energising the anti-war movement in America.

In January 2007, We Will Not Be Silenced released part 2 to a number of democratic and anti-war activists, a critically acclaimed music video again using Rev Hagler and a loop from 'Eve of Destruction", prompting Barry McGuire to write "“We are totally overwhelmed. There are no words to convey the power of that piece… Flabbergasted and honored that ‘Eve’ might have helped inspire such a work!” . The piece focuses on peace and faith and has been watched by another 10 million or so people.

On January 16  2007, Barack Obama announces his plans to run for the Presidency.

On September 2007, the people behind We Will Not Be Silenced release Unstoppable in association with Stoneyfield Farm, again using a prominent male vocal to deliver a message pertaining to Climate Change - http://www.tol23design.com/tol23design/por...ml?t=2&tc=2 . The movie has not only been utilised by Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews but has also won numerous awards around the globe.

On November 5 Barack Obama wins the presidency on a message based on the Environment, Peace and Faith.

#15 sandman

sandman

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (sandman @ Nov 26 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here`s an interesting coincidence, or not. This was emailed to us last week.

On the I April 2004 http://www.wewillnotbesilenced.com was launched. It featured a phenomenal speaker by the name of Rev Graylan Hagler from the United Church of Christ in Washington DC.

In July 2004, a young unknown prospective senator from Chicago delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention. Barack Obama is a member of the United Church of Christ in Chicago.

In January 2005, Barack Obama became the junior senator for Chicago.

The movie, which was edited and re- released in August 2005 is regarded as possibly the best piece of agit-prop ever to hit the internet, drawing over 10 million views and by general consensus, energising the anti-war movement in America.

In January 2007, We Will Not Be Silenced released part 2 to a number of democratic and anti-war activists, a critically acclaimed music video again using Rev Hagler and a loop from 'Eve of Destruction", prompting Barry McGuire to write "“We are totally overwhelmed. There are no words to convey the power of that piece… Flabbergasted and honored that ‘Eve’ might have helped inspire such a work!” . The piece focuses on peace and faith and has been watched by another 10 million or so people.

On January 16  2007, Barack Obama announces his plans to run for the Presidency.

On September 2007, the people behind We Will Not Be Silenced release Unstoppable in association with Stoneyfield Farm, again using a prominent male vocal to deliver a message pertaining to Climate Change - http://www.tol23design.com/tol23design/por...ml?t=2&tc=2 . The movie has not only been utilised by Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews but has also won numerous awards around the globe.

On November 5 Barack Obama wins the presidency on a message based on the Environment, Peace and Faith.

why was this post edited? So much for free speech. You don`t think John Densmore should be held accountable for his actions and those of his manager? I hear much talk about integrity on this board, its good to know John can spell it, it would be even better to know that he knew what it meant. You can call him a liar, a hypocrite and much worse (as exemplified by Alex), but a justifiable query as to what exactly John is proud of when he refers to "Americans", what his definition of an American is and what character traits he deems acceptable in the American psyche is edited. (is lying an acceptable trait?. If so, shouldn`t John admit that he has no problem at all with duplicity and dishonesty instead of waxing lyrical about integritry and honesty, whilst at the same time doing the exact opposite and tolerating such behaviour in his employees).

I find the irony in his statement regarding Obama that "Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace (personally I wanted to hurl right back at the attackers... shows you that I have a ways to go with anger management). " However, at the same time, he has sat back and allowed the attempted character assasination of Paul Edge to cover for the hateful hypocrisy, dishonesty, corruptness and bigotry that exemplifies The Doors Music Company, of which he is a member.

It just goes to show you, John and Ray are absolutely no different as they have both behaved the same way on this issue...What guides one guides the other, ok, they may be having a spat at the moment, but on the core issues, they share the same ideals.

#16 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (sandman @ Nov 26 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why was this post edited? So much for free speech. You don`t think John Densmore should be held accountable for his actions and those of his manager?

Accountable to who?

it would be even better to know that he knew what it meant.

If you disagree with John, please go burn all your Doors stuff right now and stay away from all message boards paid for by their organization.  That, my friend, is integrity.  

You can call him a liar, a hypocrite and much worse (as exemplified by Alex), but a justifiable query as to what exactly John is proud of when he refers to "Americans", what his definition of an American is and what character traits he deems acceptable in the American psyche is edited. (is lying an acceptable trait?. If so, shouldn`t John admit that he has no problem at all with duplicity and dishonesty instead of waxing lyrical about integritry and honesty, whilst at the same time doing the exact opposite and tolerating such behaviour in his employees).

I've now noted twice that you are probably not an American, because you can't spell 'behavior' in the American fashion.

I find the irony in his statement regarding Obama that "Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace (personally I wanted to hurl right back at the attackers... shows you that I have a ways to go with anger management). "

Nelson Mandela accepted unjust imprisonment with grace as well.  Ghandi taught civil disobedience.  Civil, i.e. polite. tolerant, etc., but unyielding in purpose.  The Dalai Lama takes the same stand.  Is there some reason that America can't have a leader in the same class any longer?  Do we rest on Kennedy, Lincoln and FDR or are we going to progress onwards as world leaders?    

However, at the same time, he has sat back and allowed the attempted character assasination of Paul Edge to cover for the hateful hypocrisy, dishonesty, corruptness and bigotry that exemplifies The Doors Music Company, of which he is a member.

It just goes to show you, John and Ray are absolutely no different as they have both behaved the same way on this issue...What guides one guides the other, ok, they may be having a spat at the moment, but on the core issues, they share the same ideals.

Ultimately, the Doors - all four of them - were in agreement on core issues.  We all were in those days.  They couldn't have become a band unless they were on common ground in the larger sense.  But personal peccadilloes are going to arise.  That's the nature of the beast.  

#17 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Salli @ Nov 26 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One can be proud to be an American and still not like what its leaders do.

I think pride in our country should center on our people and what they as a whole stand for, not what our leaders do or fail to do to uphold that pride. Remember, those who make it difficult to be proud of what America's elected officials do can be fired every four years.

Or re-elected, based on immediate history.  

I have never not been proud of America and what America is. I have often been angry about what those we elect have chosen to do while disregarding our wishes. There is a difference.

I came here because of what I thought America had been and could be again.  America seems to be back once more.

I am sorry that John was criticized for voting for a Muslim.

You're right, Barack Obama is not a Muslim.  He's an American.  

No one in this country has the right to criticize anybody in this country for voting for any race or religion. They are all equal under our laws. We are supposed to be able to vote for whomever we wish without being chastized for it. Our vote is private and our own to decide.  To be fair, in this election everyone who ran was attacked with hateful rhetoric. No one was exempt. That unfortunately is something that all inclusive and ugly.

I saw a lot more hatred from the far-right Republicans than the other way around.   I know McCain did not support this.  

I agree, the President Elect has a horrendous mess to clear up and we will have understand that he will not be able to fulfill all his campaign promises within the four-year time span he has been given. I feel that we will need to be patient more than anything else and as John said, "pull together," if we want this mess cleaned up.

Eight years, right?  

#18 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (sandman @ Nov 26 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why was this post edited? So much for free speech. You don`t think John Densmore should be held accountable for his actions and those of his manager? I hear much talk about integrity on this board, its good to know John can spell it, it would be even better to know that he knew what it meant. You can call him a liar, a hypocrite and much worse (as exemplified by Alex), but a justifiable query as to what exactly John is proud of when he refers to "Americans", what his definition of an American is and what character traits he deems acceptable in the American psyche is edited. (is lying an acceptable trait?. If so, shouldn`t John admit that he has no problem at all with duplicity and dishonesty instead of waxing lyrical about integritry and honesty, whilst at the same time doing the exact opposite and tolerating such behaviour in his employees).

I find the irony in his statement regarding Obama that "Obama endured the most hateful rhetoric during the campaign, and he accepted it with grace (personally I wanted to hurl right back at the attackers... shows you that I have a ways to go with anger management). " However, at the same time, he has sat back and allowed the attempted character assasination of Paul Edge to cover for the hateful hypocrisy, dishonesty, corruptness and bigotry that exemplifies The Doors Music Company, of which he is a member.

I don't see anything on that post that says it was edited.

& as for Paul Edge what does he have to do with anything? Except you want to wage a battle that is long over. If Edge had, as he kept saying he had, an actionable suit why didn't/hasn't he sued on whatever grounds he thinks he has? The answer is obvious.

#19 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yes Sandman, the last part was removed.  You started out great and then you let your obsession w/ the Doors manager take over as usual with the typical back handed ending.  I figured I would let what was a 90 percent intelligent post stay up rather than throw out the baby w/ the bathwater.  I too called Alex on his lumping of John w/ his latest rant generalization.  Can you pull off a post without a Jampol reference?

#20 PTLWP

PTLWP

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

I am proud to be an American, very much so!!!  I am proud to be part of a social experiment that even with the fragilities that come with the human condition, has turned out, for the most part quite more than decent.  Even with the vissicitudes of the human experience, the United States continues to grow and be a beacon for freedom and justice for all.  Of course, the United States is an evolving entity.  Most everything is, for life is change.

I am proud of a nation that took my grandparents in at the turn of the last century and saved them from certain death in Europe.  I am proud to be part of this nation as it grows and changes into all things better for everyone.

More people wish to move here than want to leave.  In fact, the United States is a place where many would love to trade places with and be a part of, where there is opportunity, still for people from all nations to contribute.

God bless America!

*waves flag*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users