Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

30,000 In Miami Join A Rally For Decency
The New York Times
March 24 1969

MIAMI March 23 - Some 30,000 hand clapping persons, some waving signs saying "Down With Obscenity," rallied in the Orange Bowl today to support a teenage crusade for decency in entertainment.

Teenagers organized the rally after Jim Morrison, 24 years old, the lead singer of The Doors, a rock group, was charged with indecent exposure during a concert in Miami on March 1. Six warrants have been issued for Mr. Morriosn' arrest.

Mike Levesque, 17, the originator of the rally, a senior at Miami Springs High School, said the idea had grown out of a Roman Catholic youth group discussion two days after the concert by The Doors.

"This is not a protest rally," said Julie James, 18 a member of the teenage Rally For Decency. "We're not against something. We're for something."

TALKS ON GOD AND SEX

Teenage speakers gave three minute talks on God, parents, patriotism, sexuality and brotherhood. There were appearances by professional entertainers, who donated their time.

"Five virtues ," selected as the keynote of the rally, were "belief in God and that He loves us; love of our planet and country; love of our family, reverence of one's sexuality, and equality of all men."

"Sex is definately being exploited and it is because society has been losing its reverence for one's sexuality," Miss James said.

The shirt sleeved crowd basking in the warm sun cheered for Jackie Gleason, Anita Bryant and the Lettermen, popular music singers who appeared in order to applaud the teenage rally.

"I believe this kind of movement will snowball across the United States and perhaps around the world," Mr Gleason said.

"I think it's great there should be more things like that," said Tony Butala of the Lettermen.

Young Levesque said he was thrilled by the rapid growth of the decency movement and the support it had gained from adults.

The crowd was about evenly split between teenagers and adults.

END.

Richard Nixon
Letter to a Student Concerning the Miami Teen-Age Rally for Decency.
March 26, 1969

Dear Mike:

I was extremely interested to learn about the admirable initiative undertaken by you and 30,000 other young people at the Miami Teen-age Rally for Decency held last Sunday.

This very positive approach which focused attention on a number of critical problems confronting society strengthens my belief that the younger generation is our greatest natural resource and therefore of tremendous hope for the future.

I hope that you will express my appreciation to everyone involved and my congratulations on the success of their efforts.
Sincerely,

RICHARD NIXON

Note: The letter was dated March 25, 1969, and released March 26, 1969. Mike Levesque, 17, senior at Miami Springs High School, was the organizer of the rally.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=1979

#2 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

I wonder where our dear friend Mike Levesque is these days?  Surely those idealistic hopes have long since faded.  Quite a roster of entertainment......a foul mouthed comidic, a gay basher who peddled orange juice, and a long forgotten group looking for 20 more fans at the time......all trying to smack down a band that is even more relevant today as it was then.  My, my how time changes things. smile.gif

#3 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

Jackie Gleason performing for teenagers?  There's a weird image.  Couldn't they get Pat Boone?  laugh.gif

#4 darkstar

darkstar

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(knowidea @ Aug 11 2008, 09:00 PM)  
I wonder where our dear friend Mike Levesque is these days?  Surely those idealistic hopes have long since faded.  Quite a roster of entertainment......a foul mouthed comidic, a gay basher who peddled orange juice, and a long forgotten group looking for 20 more fans at the time......all trying to smack down a band that is even more relevant today as it was then.  My, my how time changes things. smile.gif

Wasn't Jackie Gleason also known as a "lush" at this point in his career?  

This link is a collection of news footage shot after the Miami incident from Watson Media Center. I don't know if any of these teenagers interviewed are Mike Levesque.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVCFqnuBT0

These news clips are some of the same as seen before but it does include an interview with Jim Morrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0IkDzOu0CE

What Follows is a few Dept Justice Memos of which you'll notice the investigators used newspaper clippings as part of their report.  There is no indication that they interviewed any witnesses in these memos.  In addition, there was one officer in the news footage links above that mentions the words "inciting a riot."  In the last documents are memos titled, "Possible Racial Violence" issued by the FBI.  

On March 3 1969 BLACKED OUT....reported that JIM MORRISON, a rock and roll singer appeared at Dinner Key Auditorium, Miami, Florida on March 1, 1969.  MORRISON, a white male, age 26, born in Cocoa Beach, Florida, and once attended Florida State University, reportedly pulled out all stops in an effort to provke chaos among a

Huge crowd of young people. MORRISON'S program listed one hour during which time he sang one song and for the remainder grunted, groaned, gyrated and gestured along with inflammatory remarks.  He screamed obsenities and exposed himself which resulted in a number of the people on stage being hit and slugged and thrown to the floor.  There were 31 off duty police officers hired by the sponsors who observed most of the action by MORRISON but failed to make any arrest is to do so might possibily incite a riot.  BLACKED OUT advised that he is conducting an investigation and warrants will be obtained for MORRISON's arrest on misdermeanor charges.  In addition, the matter will be discussed with the Florida State Attorney's Office to determine if Morrison can be charged with a felony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users