HWY4371

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(MO2826 @ Jul 25 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post
When is your book going to be released?

i don't knew about new book,  and it is in project? and what about things will be incliuding?
his past or present work?

#23 Doorsfan1967

Doorsfan1967

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jul 26 2007, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, jym, as my grandmother used to say, "Don't mock the afflicted!"  wink.gif
MO - here's one place you can buy the book
Amazon

and get some feedback from readers as well.

This is insightful, from Daniel Berger of Atlanta, GA:

"I feel sorry for John Densmore. Despite having been a rock star, the member of what was one of the world's top half dozen rock groups, with all the groupies and money and glamor that that entailed, he remains at this book's writing phenomenally insecure - a nebbish who never found himself despite immersing himself in the California human potential culture purported to deliver exactly that.

He's insecure about girls, insecure about who's his friend, insecure about his drab middle-class roots, insecure about his life prospects and failure to have accomplished much of anything until he became part of the Doors. Some of the introspection in here is so bare and revealing it's almost embarrassing to read. The picture of this naïve Everyman locked into a creative foursome with Jim Morrison, the quintessential dangerous and destructive rock star, is priceless.

America was transiting from harmless British Invasion into superficially benign Flower Power, but Morrison meanwhile was wearing black, singing about sex and death, leading concerts that were like dark seances with somber endings, and challenging bandmates and audiences alike to confront their darker selves and deeper fears. He scared the hell out of the likes of John Densmore.

Morrison, as we know from organist Ray Manzarek's book "Light My Fire", once demanded that Densmore be kicked out of the group; he was just too neurotic and got on Morrison's nerves. Densmore found Morrison, particularly as his alcoholism and erratic behavior grew, so disturbing that Densmore had chronic skin rashes from the stress.

Densmore represents a certain sad byway of that era - people whose pursuit of peace and love, meditation and marijuana, sought to cover or compensate for intense feelings of inadequacy. Many young people who haven't quite found their way in life can feel lost in this way. Marijuana seducing them into compulsive introspection certainly couldn't have helped much. But accomplishing something - like, say, being a pretty fine jazz-rock drummer as Densmore was and putting out a unique body of work like the Doors' music - ought to have helped someone get past that. Densmore doesn't seem to have done so, remaining both lost and searching well into middle-age, and failing to see that maturity required moving beyond that. (Although later chapters touching on his men's movement involvement with Robert Bly suggest that perhaps he was getting a clue about this.)

Densmore's insecurity notwithstanding, this is still a worthwhile book. His painful honesty renders his memoir less varnished than Manzarek's and occasionally more convincing. Densmore gets us a little closer to what really happened with Morrison's death. Most signs point to an accidental heroin overdose, with the heroin provided by girlfriend Pam Courson, who later OD'ed herself, and who was being pursued by a French count who also used and also died of it. Densmore also gets us closer than Manzarek to the tragic sense Morrison projected and held of himself, that he told people he didn't think he'd live beyond youth, that he started every day rebelling against the universe before breakfast. Densmore found playing live behind him "intoxicating ... my new religion," but saw what a price Morrison paid for the edge-living that fed his fire, too brightly and too quickly consumed. A Doors concert, Densmore says, left "everyone in attendance ... cleansed - security guards included. What a show. A truly religious experience. Much better than church. Almost as good as sex! Better! A communion with twenty thousand people."

Densmore loved him as well as fearing him; some passages of the book are written as the letters Densmore would be writing him, if he could. Densmore finds common themes in Morrison's self-destruction and the suicide of Densmore's own mentally ill brother, including his own survivor's guilt and wondering if he could have done more to have saved either - concluding, ultimately, that no, he couldn't. Morrison in a later age might have gone through rehab, but at that time his associates had no clue about what he was doing or how to deal with. A pity. There have been many dead rock musicians but few took so much potential with them when they went."

Amen, Mr. Berger.

I would like to say that without john densmore their would have been no Doors.In every band that is dynamic and powerful as the doors were there is a structure in the membership of the band. Jim could not shine without ray who could not shine without robby who could not shine without john who could not shine with,...just keep adding infinately different doors members names and you get the idea.John is a person who is a quiter more inner reflective type yet has a solid foundation in his art of drumming.The best doors bio is johns because he allowed himself to be naked for the reader and to be honest and to share his human frailties and allow us a look inside the gold mine as it really was.Most people do not see and apreciate john because he is the type who has the quiet corner.Another great band of old and another like john in his quiet ways is drummer Ringo starr although each is miles apart from each other in there particular drumming art.If john Densmore hadnt been in the doors as the drummer with the exact line up as the doors were we would not be here today talking about the Doors because they never would have achieved the greatness without all the sacred pieces to the doors puzzle.This is my opinion.

#24 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

You got it right brother.

#25 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Doorsfan1967 @ May 26 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Morrison, as we know from organist Ray Manzarek's book "Light My Fire", once demanded that Densmore be kicked out of the group; he was just too neurotic and got on Morrison's nerves. Densmore found Morrison, particularly as his alcoholism and erratic behavior grew, so disturbing that Densmore had chronic skin rashes from the stress."

laugh.gif Well that's convinced me as we know the Ray is veracity personified.
Ray's book is fun and I have always liked it. It's like discussing the 40s with a very dotty old aunt. They get very excited about the time but forget most of it and just make up cool stuff.
John's was a lot more sombre but a better account of the tale.
Neither book was a great Historical record and more akin to the daft film The Doors are trawling out at the moment than anything that bothered with any drive for accuracy.
Which was best. I would say John's even though I enjoyed Ray's mystical account better laugh.gif

QUOTE (Doorsfan1967 @ May 26 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to say that without john densmore their would have been no Doors.

I have said this to my fellow rock fans for decades now but I could, just off the top of my head, name a couple of dozen better drummers that JD just as I could name the same amount of better guitar players than Robby and keyboard players than Ray. Hell I can name a dozen or so better singers than Jim.
But after nigh on 50 years of listening to rock music I could not name one single person that could have made the Doors a better band than they were.
That's what being unique is all about and still applies after nearly exactly 45 years down the road.

#26 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

You could say that the doors were 4 equal parts or if there were no jim there were no doors, true in a sense. Ray and jim formed the doors, jim had the words, ray his unique keyboard/bass fills, robby was reliable for his guitar and john for adding responses on his drums to jims words, ray filling the rhythmically with his keyboard bass lines.  Like most groups they created a little bit of magic.  They were like 4 points to a diamond without one of those points the diamond lost that shine.

#27 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Important Messages
Please note that the price of The Doors: Unhinged has decreased from £10.79 to £8.39 since you placed it in your Shopping Basket. Items in your basket will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Just been reduced by Amazon here in the UK.
£8.39 is not a bad price for a book like this....a rare example of VFM by The Doors perhaps laugh.gif

#28 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Wait…is this a dream I had??

I was under the impression that John was writing a fictional book not related to The Doors, don’t get me wrong I am super thrilled and I can’t wait to read the new book!

Anyone else was under the same impression?

#29 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Just been removed from Amazon UK pre orders.
I presume as a result of the date being put back.
Expect to see it back for preorder soon. ohmy.gif

#30 Helen

Helen

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jul 27 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just been removed from Amazon UK pre orders.
I presume as a result of the date being put back.
Expect to see it back for preorder soon. ohmy.gif

It's still in my Amazon UK Not Yet Despatched Orders
The Doors: Unhinged John DensmoreSold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
Dispatch Estimate: 4 Oct 2010Delivery Estimate: 7 Oct 2010 - 11 Oct 2010

Mind you, I had to fill in the 'search your orders' box on the right hand side of 'Your account-your orders' page to find it! sad.gif

#31 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Doors Unhinged [Paperback]
John Densmore (Author)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I get this on the main page for the book.

And below in my saved basket
Shopping Basket Items--To Buy Now
Price: Qty: £12.32
You Save:
£6.63 (34%)
Item added on 27 July 2010
Becoming Elektra: The True Story of Jac Holzman's Visionary Record Label - Mick Houghton; Paperback
Condition: New
Available for pre-order

Saved Items--To Buy Later Price:
Item added on 21 Jun 2010
Doors Unhinged - John Densmore; Paperback

I got a message when I went to pre order the Elektra book that Unhinged had been removed from my basket as it was no longer available from the seller. Which I presume was related to the October date they had.
I imagine we will see back for pre order once the dates sort themselves out.

#32 Sacha

Sacha

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

Ah this would explain the message/email we got last night!

I hope you get this resolved John!

I can't wait to read your book smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users