• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:58 AM

Someone sent me this link from yesterday's Daily Mail and I found it quite interesting. Sam Bernett, Morrison's "good friend".. and manager of the Rock'n'Roll Circus when Jim supposedly died there, decides to tell his story all these years later... and according to the article, French authorities may now be talking about opening up a new investigation into his death.......

You can read the story HERE

Personally, I find the story both feasible and plausible... and it connects with some of what Ive been told over the years by reliable people with bits of information. At the risk of opening up another "how did Jim die?" thread, I'm curious as to other people's thoughts on this after reading this article. Thanks.

#2 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:21 AM

I'm always skeptical of this story, & even though Sam Bernett has come forth as a witness with a book titled The End (another one!) I still find it hard to believe that a handful of people who are "sworn" to secrecy and then no one talks, someone always talks especially heroin addicts who need money and wouldn't be above selling the secret of Jim Morrison's death to some journalists or to give information to the police in order to cut a deal for themselves.

All that being said this guy obviously believes it, I guess I'll have to think about it more & see if more info comes out & if there is an investigation (although I really don't see what's in it for the French authorities).

#3 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Interesting D...BUT my skeptical side says....why is there ALWAYS a book when they finally decide to talk?  I ask myself, is the motivator the truth or is it the book.

#4 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(knowidea @ Jul 8 2007, 12:35 PM) View Post
Interesting D...BUT my skeptical side says....why is there ALWAYS a book when they finally decide to talk?  I ask myself, is the motivator the truth or is it the book.

Very good point Jim. I was kind of wondering why this "good friend" of Jim Morrison's hasn't really been heard of by anyone.. until now... before the release of his book? It sure seems to have financial motivation written all over it, but why now.. all these years later? It's not by any means any sort of newsflash or anything.. the rock'n'roll circus story has been talked about for years. Have the french authorities not heard about it until now? Hmm.. maybe they don't read this board.... :-)

I found the story interesting, and it would make some kind of convoluted sense if it's true. It would explain what's been said about Morrison's head being at the faucet end of the tub (if indeed that's been reported truthfully), and it would also explain the contention of several people that Pamela was _not_ there when he died. And wasn't there some DJ or something that announced his death before his body was found in the apartment...?

I was just curious about anyone else's thoughts on it. It's certainly not something that couldn't have happened, and as I said.. it is feasible. The question is going to be however.. can it be proven.. beyond a doubt? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#5 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(gotothelight @ Jul 8 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post
And wasn't there some DJ or something that announced his death before his body was found in the apartment...?

I've been thinking about this (as promised or threatened). Actually the DJ thing has always been part & parcel of this tale, and puts a neat little hole in this guy's story. If they were all sworn to secrecy not to tell anybody about this, what's the DJ doing announcing Jim's death? All of a sudden you have 500 people who know than the about it than the 5 who were in the bathroom by my count from the story, and that doesn't count the people who may have seen them dragging Jim out of the club, or on the street into a car.

Now the part I've been thinking about. After all these years isn't this a rather artificial if not contrived bit to surround Jim's death with a bit of mystery? What does it matter if Jim died in the Rock n' Roll Circus or in the apartment with Pam, or on a merry go round in Coney Island? He's still dead. His death will never define him or lead to a greater understanding of his person. What will define him, as it will define us all, is the work we leave behind.

#6 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(jym @ Jul 8 2007, 06:35 PM) View Post
What does it matter if Jim died in the Rock n' Roll Circus or in the apartment with Pam, or on a merry go round in Coney Island? He's still dead. His death will never define him or lead to a greater understanding of his person. What will define him, as it will define us all, is the work we leave behind.

Very well said Jim. Thanks.

#7 jim4371

jim4371

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

Well I have a couple of points to make.
First off, Bernett has not represented HIMSELF as a 'close friend' of Morrison. These are the words of the person who wrote the article, and they should not be used against him.
Second, the DJ (Cameron Watson) made the announcement later at a different club, supposedly tipped off by either the Count or some associated heroin dealers.
It made no difference whether people thought he was dead to them then; the Count was about to leave the country and they'd already gotten a doctor to sign off on it.
The only element of being 'sworn to secrecy' any longer which mattered was the manner of death, which was NOT divulged.

#8 Salli

Salli

Strange Days

• Omega
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(jim4371 @ Jul 9 2007, 06:42 AM) View Post
Well I have a couple of points to make.
First off, Bernett has not represented HIMSELF as a 'close friend' of Morrison. These are the words of the person who wrote the article, and they should not be used against him.
Second, the DJ (Cameron Watson) made the announcement later at a different club, supposedly tipped off by either the Count or some associated heroin dealers.
It made no difference whether people thought he was dead to them then; the Count was about to leave the country and they'd already gotten a doctor to sign off on it.
The only element of being 'sworn to secrecy' any longer which mattered was the manner of death, which was NOT divulged.

Good points!

Bennett only said he knew Jim because Jim went to the club on a regular basis and they talked. That means they could at least have been considered friendly. Jim could be like that.  There were many people that Jim knew, that those who were close to him in Los Angeles did not know of, and Paris was no exception. I'm sure there must have been a few people in Paris that Jim knew that we have not heard of yet...and may never hear about at all.    

The Count on reaching Morocco did talk to a journalist friend of his about Jim's death. John Densmore mentions Marianne Faithfull's talking to another journalist years later, (someone who was on the radio). It's mentioned in John's book or at least in the galley book I have.  Marianne later denied knowing anything about it when she wrote her own book.

When you consider what has been said about the club and the heroin, the information has been remarkably consistent over the years.

People have talked about what they've seen for several decades, but an OD is an OD and a death from a heart attack is a natural death, so of course the Paris Police did not carry the investigation any further. I doubt that they will do so now as they are too busy with criminals and the local terrorists.

#9 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE(gotothelight @ Jul 8 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
Someone sent me this link from yesterday's Daily Mail and I found it quite interesting. Sam Bernett, Morrison's "good friend".. and manager of the Rock'n'Roll Circus when Jim supposedly died there, decides to tell his story all these years later... and according to the article, French authorities may now be talking about opening up a new investigation into his death.......

You can read the story HERE
Personally, I find the story both feasible and plausible... and it connects with some of what Ive been told over the years by reliable people with bits of information. At the risk of opening up another "how did Jim die?" thread, I'm curious as to other people's thoughts on this after reading this article. Thanks.

D.  I printed it out (as usual) and will read it later............I'll let ya know my take on it.  j

#10 Moses Jones

Moses Jones

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Bennett could have said " yeah, I remember meeting him a few times, he was a really nice guy..."

But that wouldn't get you a book deal and some press, now would it? Perhaps he's just another worm, interviewing the corpse?

Though he was pestered for years by reporters investigating Morrison's death, he kept his story quiet until his wife suggested writing a book last year.

#11 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

I read 'the real story' last night.  It was somewhat redundant with articles written by French journalists....(Herve comes to mind saying his sources were junkies ).  I would consider him a jag off.

Actually I have no idea what to believe so I will choose my own ending.

I think it was Moses who questioned if the case was an OD at the R&R Circus Jim would have been dead weight
and would have had to be carried up three flights of stairs?

Doesn't look to me like the French are going to leave our Jim alone...'specially when a buck can be made.  So, I will believe what Pamela said.  

In no way am I disputing what was recently written....(like I ain't calling 'em fucking liars)....we are never going to know...ever.

That is ok with me .  I know enough to already know I will miss him for the rest of my life, and hate the city of Miami forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j dry.gif

#12 Moses Jones

Moses Jones

Waiting For The Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

My room mate said to me the other night, " Hey you hear about this latest thing about Jim's death?"

And I replied with " Ya, remembered when I was crippled and couldn't walk?"

"Yes." she said

" And how many guys do you think it would take to carry Jim out of the bar, into a taxi and up some steps?"
I asked.

" He was pretty big guy, wasn't he over six foot tall?" she replied.

And that was the end of the discussion.

I do admit anything is possible though, especially given the well known strength of the French.

#13 DeadAsADoorNail

DeadAsADoorNail

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

The story Morrison died at the R&R Circus is pure hog wash.

So this guy dies in the toilet, and two drug dealers carry the lifeless body through the streets of Paris back to the hotel room. The body was stripped naked, and then dumped into a bath tub. Without making a fuss.

When the supposed drug dealers arrived at the hotel, did one of them rummage through Jim's leather trousers for the keys to the room?

Did Morrison have his hotel room keys on him when he died? Or, did residents have to ask the hotel desk clerk for the key to their room? It's never explained. Because it's just not true. In reality had he died of the drug overdose at the club, Morrison would have been dumped in alley somewhere, or in some deserted staircase.

Where was Pam while this was going on? Nodding out in bed when all this happened?  

Alain Ronay accounts of finding Morrison in the bath tub is more realistic in his recollections, right down to snatches of conversations between him and Pam. It's very detailed moment by moment.

In fact the Paris police, and fire department reports jive together and support Pam's interrogation by Paris police.  

Pam's account is  probably the truth. She never changed any part of her story.

#14 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(DeadAsADoorNail @ Jul 13 2007, 11:29 PM) View Post
The story Morrison died at the R&R Circus is pure hog wash.

So this guy dies in the toilet, and two drug dealers carry the lifeless body through the streets of Paris back to the hotel room. The body was stripped naked, and then dumped into a bath tub. Without making a fuss.

When the supposed drug dealers arrived at the hotel, did one of them rummage through Jim's leather trousers for the keys to the room?

Did Morrison have his hotel room keys on him when he died? Or, did residents have to ask the hotel desk clerk for the key to their room? It's never explained. Because it's just not true. In reality had he died of the drug overdose at the club, Morrison would have been dumped in alley somewhere, or in some deserted staircase.

Where was Pam while this was going on? Nodding out in bed when all this happened?  

Alain Ronay accounts of finding Morrison in the bath tub is more realistic in his recollections, right down to snatches of conversations between him and Pam. It's very detailed moment by moment.

In fact the Paris police, and fire department reports jive together and support Pam's interrogation by Paris police.  

Pam's account is  probably the truth. She never changed any part of her story.

i totally agree with everything you wrote..i think this book is just "a thirst for money" nothing more..cos nothing sells better than scandals. the book is a total disgrace and i am not even try to read it.

#15 Ia woman

Ia woman

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Salli @ Jul 9 2007, 01:14 AM) View Post
Good points!

Bennett only said he knew Jim because Jim went to the club on a regular basis and they talked. That means they could at least have been considered friendly. Jim could be like that.  There were many people that Jim knew, that those who were close to him in Los Angeles did not know of, and Paris was no exception. I'm sure there must have been a few people in Paris that Jim knew that we have not heard of yet...and may never hear about at all.    

The Count on reaching Morocco did talk to a journalist friend of his about Jim's death. John Densmore mentions Marianne Faithfull's talking to another journalist years later, (someone who was on the radio). It's mentioned in John's book or at least in the galley book I have.  Marianne later denied knowing anything about it when she wrote her own book.

When you consider what has been said about the club and the heroin, the information has been remarkably consistent over the years.

People have talked about what they've seen for several decades, but an OD is an OD and a death from a heart attack is a natural death, so of course the Paris Police did not carry the investigation any further. I doubt that they will do so now as they are too busy with criminals and the local terrorists.

you know, something about this is ringing my truth bell....I mean, I agreee with Jym about the book thing...but if the guy is doing it to sell books and make some money, why didnt he do years ago when he was young and could have enjoyed the money?
the thing is, did pam make up her whole story about being with jim that night? do you think if she did make it up it was because she was immersed in guilt?
sigh...poor pam, you know how bad she must have felt regardless

another thing, these 2 "guys" might have placed jim in the tub to try and revive him....

#16 DeadAsADoorNail

DeadAsADoorNail

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(lost little girl @ Jul 13 2007, 08:01 PM) View Post
i totally agree with everything you wrote..i think this book is just "a thirst for money" nothing more..cos nothing sells better than scandals. the book is a total disgrace and i am not even try to read it.

Sometimes I think the French have a general contempt for Americans.

In Alain Ronay story of Jim's last days in Paris, he keeps wanting to escape from Morrison every time Jim makes a desperate plea for him to stay with him. Why?

He describes Morrison's poor health and a bad case of chronic hiccups that he believed was indicative to a prelude to a heart attack, which just happens to be a scientific fact.  But if Alain felt these things about Jim, his health, the thoughts Jim was going to have a heart attack, perhaps he knew something he will never admit. (Heroin use?) He never comes out and tells us why he abandoned Jim at the Cafe when he should have taken him to a hospital.

Arrogance. Reminds me of the E TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY on HERVE VILLACHAIZE.  As Herve's physical condition worsened, he killed himself with a gunshot wound to the heart. Herve's older brother in France told interviewers years later he wasn't there to care of his sick and dying brother because he couldn't stand watching him die a slow death.

#17 Ia woman

Ia woman

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(DeadAsADoorNail @ Jul 13 2007, 08:38 PM) View Post
Sometimes I think the French have a general contempt for Americans.

In Alain Ronay story of Jim's last days in Paris, he keeps wanting to escape from Morrison every time Jim makes a desperate plea for him to stay with him. Why?

He describes Morrison's poor health and a bad case of chronic hiccups that he believed was indicative to a prelude to a heart attack, which just happens to be a scientific fact.  But if Alain felt these things about Jim, his health, the thoughts Jim was going to have a heart attack, perhaps he knew something he will never admit. (Heroin use?) He never comes out and tells us why he abandoned Jim at the Cafe when he should have taken him to a hospital.

Arrogance. Reminds me of the E TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY on HERVE VILLACHAIZE.  As Herve's physical condition worsened, he killed himself with a gunshot wound to the heart. Herve's older brother in France told interviewers years later he wasn't there to care of his sick and dying brother because he couldn't stand watching him die a slow death.

I have worked in Cardiac medicine for years, and never heard of chronic hiccups being any sort of prelude to a heart attack.
indgestion maybe, but not hiccups.

#18 DeadAsADoorNail

DeadAsADoorNail

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Ia woman @ Jul 13 2007, 08:42 PM) View Post
I have worked in Cardiac medicine for years, and never heard of chronic hiccups being any sort of prelude to a heart attack.
indgestion maybe, but not hiccups.

I found a couple of medical quote here on the connection between hiccups and a stroke.  It doesn't explain Morrison's death but it conjures what I read in the story.

"Although hiccups are a normal occurrence, they serve no useful purpose. Hiccups are normally self-limiting. In some cases, however, hiccups don't go away, and these prolonged attacks can cause significant illness and even death. When the attack lasts longer than a month, the hiccups are termed intractable. Although more than a hundred causes have been described–everything from hysteria to trauma and malignancies--sometimes hiccups are caused by irritation of the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve, measuring about 22 inches, is the longest cranial nerve, wandering throughout the upper body. It is one of the body's primary communication pathways from the brain to other organs, and it contains few if any pain fibers. "

"Conditions which can cause chronic hiccups include liver disease, stomach ulcer, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease, lung diseases including cancer, heart attack, psychological disturbances, and certain medications."

#19 Ia woman

Ia woman

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(DeadAsADoorNail @ Jul 13 2007, 08:56 PM) View Post
I found a couple of medical quote here on the connection between hiccups and a stroke.  It doesn't explain Morrison's death but it conjures what I read in the story.

"Although hiccups are a normal occurrence, they serve no useful purpose. Hiccups are normally self-limiting. In some cases, however, hiccups don't go away, and these prolonged attacks can cause significant illness and even death. When the attack lasts longer than a month, the hiccups are termed intractable. Although more than a hundred causes have been described–everything from hysteria to trauma and malignancies--sometimes hiccups are caused by irritation of the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve, measuring about 22 inches, is the longest cranial nerve, wandering throughout the upper body. It is one of the body's primary communication pathways from the brain to other organs, and it contains few if any pain fibers. "

"Conditions which can cause chronic hiccups include liver disease, stomach ulcer, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease, lung diseases including cancer, heart attack, psychological disturbances, and certain medications."

hiccups are not a warning sign of an impending heart attack. If you look at your list above, almost any disease could cause chronic hiccups. Thats because anything and everything could irritate the vagal nerve.

I dont mean any disrespect.
Hiccups are just not not something associated with heart disease

#20 MO2826

MO2826

Debut

• Omega
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Hello to all. This is the perfect topic for my first post.

Jim's death, Jim's death.
My opinion is that this story is another distractor. And like all distractors this story is a lie.
But why now and why Mr Bennett?
Well there are two hypothesis: whether the guy is broke and needs money or someone related to the Morrison myth suggested that he should come up with this story. Mr Bennett might be seen by many as a fiaseble source because he was the owner or manager of the Rock & Roll Circus and so it's clever to choose him to bring more distraction to the always controversial issue of Jim Morrison's death.
As far as I know the Doors world has been going through turmoil over the last 4 years, definitely something is happening in the Doors world. Any story regarding Jim Morrison used to sell but in my opinion people begin to feel tired about the "secret". But maybe there is no secret at all, maybe what there is it's a fanatic blind denial of the truth by the great majority of the fans; a truth that is expressed in Jim's poetry; a truth that many people know. How can the fan bite the hook that only Pam, The Count and Ronay know the truth? Of course that more people know the truth but sworn to secrecy. The Doors know the truth, Danny Sugarman knew the truth, the Morrison family knows the truth and even some celebrities not related to the Doors know the truth. It's a secret that is whispered in a very restrict circle.

Some good questions have been brought up about this story. Where was Pam?
Was there a priest at Jim's burial?
I've heard that only 3 or 4 people were at Jim's funeral. And those people were Pam, Madame Collinette (an unknown lady) Ronay and maybe Agnes Varda.
But was there a priest?
A priest to give the last sacraments.
We know there was no autopsy and this is reveals much. Because France is not in the 3rd world, it's the second birth place of Democracy in Europe. They don't neglect these issues and they are not the kind of culture that would let it pass just like that. This means that whatever happened to Jim was so obvious that there was no need for an autopsy. For example, nobody made autopsies to the gangsters who died on Valentine's day under the orders of Al Capone. It would be silly to make an autopsy of those guys when their cause of death was obvious.
Maybe the same happened to Jim, it's what I think because France is a very civilized country and far from being negligent.
My question is: was there a priest at Jim's burial?
A priest to give the last sacraments?
It was 1971.
Why and in what cases/circumstances does the catholic church deny or refuse these last sacraments to a dead person?
Have you ever thought about it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users