50 replies to this topic

#1 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

does anybody knows what kind of drums is John using in drumming corses  smile.gif in HYACINTH HOUSE..?
it sounds so clear and pure,  love it!!!

#2 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(lost little girl @ Apr 20 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post
does anybody knows what kind of drums is John using in drumming corses  smile.gif in HYACINTH HOUSE..?
it sounds so clear and pure,  love it!!!

Do you mean on the doors box set from 97 or the la woman album version?

#3 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Paul M @ Apr 27 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post
Do you mean on the doors box set from 97 or the la woman album version?

well i mean the ones John is playing in Hyacinth house demo acctually..

#4 Lukas Perny

Lukas Perny

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:02 AM

John´s drums. Can You give me link to photo Johns original drums?

#5 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(Lukas Perny @ May 6 2007, 10:02 AM) View Post

Doors road manager Vince Treanor is holding Johns original kit..

#6 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

Original Doors drums - Ludwig.  The Hyacinth demo at Robby's has got to be bongo's if I'm thinking correctly?

#7 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(knowidea @ May 7 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post
Original Doors drums - Ludwig.  The Hyacinth demo at Robby's has got to be bongo's if I'm thinking correctly?

Yes, thank you Jim.. smile.gif

#8 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

I AM IN THE MOOD FOR PLAYING BONGOS  laugh.gif

#9 Lukas Perny

Lukas Perny

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(Lukas Perny @ May 6 2007, 10:02 AM) View Post

thanx for photo. Exist John drums today?

#10 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(Lukas Perny @ May 9 2007, 01:15 PM) View Post
thanx for photo. Exist John drums today?

well i think some of colectionars over the world has it, it must exist somewhere..this is a question that Terry Sacone asked John IN HER INTERVIEW WITH HIM, and his answer of course:

Terry Sacone: DID YOU KEEP YOUR FIRST KIT THAT YOU RECORDED WITH? JOHN: No but I have the original snare which I use and an old floor tom. There are a few laying around.  I have one that s in the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas (laughs)

#11 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

Sometimes I wonder if John himself gets confused or just does'nt really care about these things like some of us do. John's first set with the Doors was a 20,12,14 White marine pearl Gretsch set. It is seen in the beachouse rehearsal phots as well as studio shots for the waiting for the sun album. The most famouse set John had was the 1967 Mod Orange Ludwig set. This was also a 20,12,14 with a supraphonic snare drum. I am guessing he got this set in mid-late 1967. The color was introduced around June of 1967. That is the set I am fanatical about.

I saw the set in the Hard Rock and I think it is the set that later turned up at the Petersen auto museam along with John's old ford. This not the set that was used in the Doors. The set at the hard rock is a 22,12,13,16 and is bigger sized than the kit John had in the Doors. I think that pic of Vince Treanor with the floor tom is the real floor tom. 14" Ludwig floor toms in Mod Orange are REAL rare and almost unheard of. John's is all that much more rare as it was used with the Doors! I would love to know where the rest of the ORIGINAL set went. I have a 22,13,16 from 1969 in Mod Orange, but John's smaller set is WAY cool. I have yet to get real answers.

http://www.idafan.com/John-PetersonMuseum2-06.htm

Look at any pic of John's Mod Orange set from the 60's and look at the set in these photo's. A 20" bass drum has eight lugs per side and a 22" bass drum has 10 lugs per side. The bass drum in these pics has 10 lugs on it. John also had a side mount for a single tom tom while this set has a center mount for two top toms. Joph's set was cataloged as the downbeat set. The set in these pics was cataloged as the Hollywood set. The set in these pics is definately not the same set that was used in the Doors. It could have been a set that John owned, but I have never ever seen this set in any Doors pic. Here is the real set.

http://evatt.labor.net.au/publications/pap...nsmorejohn3.jpg

#12 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(mod orange @ May 9 2007, 01:40 PM) View Post
Sometimes I wonder if John himself gets confused or just does'nt really care about these things like some of us do. John's first set with the Doors was a 20,12,14 White marine pearl Gretsch set. It is seen in the beachouse rehearsal phots as well as studio shots for the waiting for the sun album. The most famouse set John had was the 1967 Mod Orange Ludwig set. This was also a 20,12,14 with a supraphonic snare drum. I am guessing he got this set in mid-late 1967. The color was introduced around June of 1967. That is the set I am fanatical about.

I saw the set in the Hard Rock and I think it is the set that later turned up at the Petersen auto museam along with John's old ford. This not the set that was used in the Doors. The set at the hard rock is a 22,12,13,16 and is bigger sized than the kit John had in the Doors. I think that pic of Vince Treanor with the floor tom is the real floor tom. 14" Ludwig floor toms in Mod Orange are REAL rare and almost unheard of. John's is all that much more rare as it was used with the Doors! I would love to know where the rest of the ORIGINAL set went. I have a 22,13,16 from 1969 in Mod Orange, but John's smaller set is WAY cool. I have yet to get real answers.

http://www.idafan.com/John-PetersonMuseum2-06.htm

wow cool pictures Mod, thanks for the link  smile.gif  you seem to know a lot about drums..i would lkie to know as much as you, i admire to your knowledge..one again thanks for the informations!

#13 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

Thanks lost. BTW that is probobly my favorite Doors tune. I have been playing drums since 1981 when I was 11 and I got into collecting old drums around 1990. I got heavily into the Doors around 1987 and first took note of John's mod orange set in the video live at the Hollywood Bowl. I always wanted to find a set like that but back then I had no idea it was that rare of a color or that hard to find. Mod Orange came out in 1967 and was produced until about 1972. Because it was not overly popular, the color did not last long.

John's set is rare in the fact that by the late 60's as rock and roll prgressed, so did the size of the drumset. The norm for a bass drum was 22" by 1968-69. Add John Bonham in there and the bass drum got even bigger. John Densmore used what was kind of considered a jazz set up and it is rare because not many drums in Mod Orange were produced in those sizes. Even without the Doors connection on his set those sizes alone in that color would fetch at least $3000.00. I can't even imagaine what John's set would be worth as he used it on countless tours and in the studio. I am almost certain that he used one Mod Orange set with the Doors. I after more than 15 years of looking, I finally found a set. Mine is a March 26th 1969 22,13,16. It is the definate holy grail in my collection.

#14 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

Here is a topic that has my set pictured. It says that it belongs to Onemat, but knowidea confused us two and it is really mine.

http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=954

#15 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(mod orange @ May 9 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post
Thanks lost. BTW that is probobly my favorite Doors tune. I have been playing drums since 1981 when I was 11 and I got into collecting old drums around 1990. I got heavily into the Doors around 1987 and first took note of John's mod orange set in the video live at the Hollywood Bowl. I always wanted to find a set like that but back then I had no idea it was that rare of a color or that hard to find. Mod Orange came out in 1967 and was produced until about 1972. Because it was not overly popular, the color did not last long.

John's set is rare in the fact that by the late 60's as rock and roll prgressed, so did the size of the drumset. The norm for a bass drum was 22" by 1968-69. Add John Bonham in there and the bass drum got even bigger. John Densmore used what was kind of considered a jazz set up and it is rare because not many drums in Mod Orange were produced in those sizes. Even without the Doors connection on his set those sizes alone in that color would fetch at least $3000.00. I can't even imagaine what John's set would be worth as he used it on countless tours and in the studio. I am almost certain that he used one Mod Orange set with the Doors. I after more than 15 years of looking, I finally found a set. Mine is a March 26th 1969 22,13,16. It is the definate holy grail in my collection.

all i can say is WOW..i am impressed..and that picture of your drums..what a beauty  smile.gif

#16 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(mod orange @ May 9 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
Here is a topic that has my set pictured. It says that it belongs to Onemat, but knowidea confused us two and it is really mine.

http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=954

Hi Mod,
  As always......it's great to hear all the info you have......amazing.   Thanks for pointing out my mistake on identity.......I went back and corrected it.  
Jim

#17 mod orange

mod orange

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for correcting that. I am just another fanatical Doors fan that is facinated by the gear they used. I think there choice of musical gear gave them a sound and look that was unique as well.

#18 Lukas Perny

Lukas Perny

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

I have a new drums. Drums is very alikes with John´s drums.

#19 lost little girl

lost little girl

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(Lukas Perny @ May 15 2007, 03:35 PM) View Post
I have a new drums. Drums is very alikes with John´s drums.

cool.. can you post the picture of your drums?

#20 Lukas Perny

Lukas Perny

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(lost little girl @ May 15 2007, 04:38 PM) View Post
cool.. can you post the picture of your drums?

This is my video with my drums and me... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZQYJTHpTdg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users