#21 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Paul M @ Jan 31 2008, 02:14 AM) View Post
I like the part where he talks about an old jaguar he used to own and that a guy named fritz Richmond (I think that was his name, who worked at elektra and you might know him) used to call john "jaguar john.  Funnily enough john talks about this when he finishes the doors histroy and goes on to talk about an incident with his brother jim when visiting his parents place in 1978.

I knew Fritz very well - one of the original members of the Jim Kweskin Jug Band - and brother to Martin "Hoover" Richmond, another one of my favorite people.  Rothchild's right hand man, a brilliant engineer, a lovely person.  He passed a couple of years back.

He was a joy to know.

Here's some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Richmond

#22 60sbaby

60sbaby

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

While working, being a mom and as I am sure all know in life how hard it is to make time to do anything, I have managed to read about 10 pages in Johns book at night and am now 3/4th the way through it.  This part is not my "favorite part in the book" a part that makes me want to ask questions on how Jim is portrayed in the book.  

On page 60 of my book, John writes about how he takes Jim to a girls apartment, who seemed to know Jim from UCLA and had a sarcastic attitude towards Jim. John talks about her and how he leaves Jim at the apartment with her, doesn't know if Jim is going to spend the night with her so he decides to go back and see. He finds the apartment door ajar.  When he opens it he finds Jim, holding her hands behind her back, already popped off two of her top buttons of her shirt with a knife and was holding the knife to her belly. John seemed to react very calmly and Jim immediately stops what he is doing, John mentions that the girls face turns from fear to relief.  I think Jim does end up staying the night with the girl, evidently nothing terrible happened to her. John was freaked out about what he saw. Questioned himself about why Jim was in his life...but still wanted the group to continue. A mental battle is what he must have gone through.

Do you guys remember reading this and did it make you wonder about the whole scene?  I haven't finished the book yet (almost), and it is hard to put the book down, but it's usually very late when I get a chance, alone, to read. I get to type at work, but no reading time, only if it's on the computer. Anyway, John expresses his admiration for Jim's talent in the book, but more and more, it seems he grows to dislike who Jim turned into, messing up the band, making life hard for all of them because of Jim's behavior.  John is a great writer and is good at expressing how he feels in different circumstances.

When I skimmed through Ray Manzarek's book online, he is Mr. Positive, thinks Jim is great, fun, funny, smart, loving kind of guy who does gets crazy sometimes.  Maybe it's the different types of relationships each band member had with Jim.  Ray knew Jim at college and it seems they really connected.  Maybe that's why John and Ray's opinions are so different regarding Jim.  I have heard opinion that Ray writes for money and is not truthful. Maybe Ray might just be a positive person, a do gooder, talks only positive things about people, instead of a critical tongue, I don't really know.  Could Ray just view Jim in a completely different light than John?  I would enjoy hearing your opinions on this, maybe understand the guys different personalities.  Thanks.
Donna
60sbaby

#23 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(60sbaby @ Feb 5 2008, 12:00 PM) View Post
Do you guys remember reading this and did it make you wonder about the whole scene?  I haven't finished the book yet (almost), and it is hard to put the book down, but it's usually very late when I get a chance, alone, to read. I get to type at work, but no reading time, only if it's on the computer. Anyway, John expresses his admiration for Jim's talent in the book, but more and more, it seems he grows to dislike who Jim turned into, messing up the band, making life hard for all of them because of Jim's behavior.  John is a great writer and is good at expressing how he feels in different circumstances.

When I skimmed through Ray Manzarek's book online, he is Mr. Positive, thinks Jim is great, fun, funny, smart, loving kind of guy who does gets crazy sometimes.  Maybe it's the different types of relationships each band member had with Jim.  Ray knew Jim at college and it seems they really connected.  Maybe that's why John and Ray's opinions are so different regarding Jim.  I have heard opinion that Ray writes for money and is not truthful. Maybe Ray might just be a positive person, a do gooder, talks only positive things about people, instead of a critical tongue, I don't really know.  Could Ray just view Jim in a completely different light than John?  I would enjoy hearing your opinions on this, maybe understand the guys different personalities.  Thanks.
Donna
60sbaby

That scenario that John writes about in his book is indeed a chilling one. You ask if anyone here "wondered" about it..? If you're asking if anyone believes it happened the way John said it did.. I do. People that knew Jim have said he was generous, kind, funny, thoughtful, etc... and those same people have also said he could, at times, be cruel.

I don't have much to say about Ray except that he always seems to stick to his own script.. regardless. Benefit of the doubt makes me want to say that perhaps he did see Jim in a different light than John did.. but I doubt it.

#24 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:31 AM

(60sbaby @ Feb 5 2008, 12:00 PM)
Do you guys remember reading this and did it make you wonder about the whole scene? I haven't finished the book yet (almost), and it is hard to put the book down, but it's usually very late when I get a chance, alone, to read. I get to type at work, but no reading time, only if it's on the computer. Anyway, John expresses his admiration for Jim's talent in the book, but more and more, it seems he grows to dislike who Jim turned into, messing up the band, making life hard for all of them because of Jim's behavior. John is a great writer and is good at expressing how he feels in different circumstances.

When I skimmed through Ray Manzarek's book online, he is Mr. Positive, thinks Jim is great, fun, funny, smart, loving kind of guy who does gets crazy sometimes. Maybe it's the different types of relationships each band member had with Jim. Ray knew Jim at college and it seems they really connected. Maybe that's why John and Ray's opinions are so different regarding Jim. I have heard opinion that Ray writes for money and is not truthful. Maybe Ray might just be a positive person, a do gooder, talks only positive things about people, instead of a critical tongue, I don't really know. Could Ray just view Jim in a completely different light than John? I would enjoy hearing your opinions on this, maybe understand the guys different personalities. Thanks.
Donna
60sbaby

yes, john definitely, expresses a love and hate relationship but both ray and john do agree on some things like what happened during the recording on waiting for the sun but they do express jim's downfall in different ways, ray makes reference to jim's other character as "jimbo" and says later that "maybe jim was trying to rid of himself his responsiblitities" because ray wanted the group to go a lot futher but in the end they both knew that changes had to be made if they were going to continue after 1970.  About the rosanne/knife incident it would have freaked john out but maybe jim was "testing her bounds" but john knew jim was maybe crazy from the start.  Ray formulated or discovered jim and wanted to really work with him which required patience but later on their relationship changed as the group and years went on for eg. the buick ad where jim did not trust their business dealings anymore. This goes to show  Jim's take on the doors was a passionate one especially for that time and it showed he cared for what he and the group stood for, but you get 2 points of view from 2 members who formed the doors, who believed and are an important part of the legacy.

I was just going to say that one of my fav parts of the book is when john tries to bluff his way of getting out of joining the army, vietnam -really good story and when he plays his parents the doors first album.  keep reading john's bookits really enjoyable and what i call a rock and roll novel.

#25 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE(mewsical @ Feb 5 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post
I knew Fritz very well - one of the original members of the Jim Kweskin Jug Band - and brother to Martin "Hoover" Richmond, another one of my favorite people.  Rothchild's right hand man, a brilliant engineer, a lovely person.  He passed a couple of years back.

He was a joy to know.

Here's some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Richmond

thanks for the link.  I had no idea he was famous and coming up with the name lovin' spoonful...you learn something new everyday. dry.gif

#26 60sbaby

60sbaby

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

I finally finished Riders on the Storm.  What a good book and John is a fine guy!  I love his honesty and his vulnerability. What a time they had...and I loved how he talked to Jim in the book, sharing his thoughts and feelings. He definitely wrote of Jim's wild side and how alcohol was Jims drug of choice.  Also, how he felt that snorting some heroin that Pam had lying around may of been the climax of drug abuse that stopped his heart.  It was so good to get to know John through his book, when he was a young man.  He was raised really straight, but during the major drug era acid seemed to be his favorite drug of choice for a while anyway. The book is good reading.

#27 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(60sbaby @ Mar 17 2008, 10:37 AM) View Post
I finally finished Riders on the Storm.  What a good book and John is a fine guy!  I love his honesty and his vulnerability. What a time they had...and I loved how he talked to Jim in the book, sharing his thoughts and feelings. He definitely wrote of Jim's wild side and how alcohol was Jims drug of choice.  Also, how he felt that snorting some heroin that Pam had lying around may of been the climax of drug abuse that stopped his heart.  It was so good to get to know John through his book, when he was a young man.  He was raised really straight, but during the major drug era acid seemed to be his favorite drug of choice for a while anyway. The book is good reading.

Although John wrote of Jim's "wild side".. I think the book was a whole lot deeper than that. I think it was about coming to terms with alot of feelings that he wasn't real sure what to do with. Sure there was anger.. but there was also, I think, a feeling of loss. I never once got the feeling when reading the book that John didn't like Jim. On the contrary. I think he must've liked him.. alot.. to have felt all the things that he did. If you didn't like someone.. you wouldn't really care.. and the one thing that did jump out at me in John's writing is that he did care. Maybe that's just my take on it. Anyone else have an opinion?

#28 60sbaby

60sbaby

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:23 AM

Gotothelight:
Absolutely, I agree whole heartedly....by saying "I loved how he talked to Jim in the book, sharing his thoughts and feelings".  Yes he shared so much of his feelings, what he was going through, his hopes, dreams.  He did talk of the changes Jim went through as time went on...he was afraid of Jim sometimes, respected Jims talent, he made it evident he didn't like to be around Jim when he was messed up, yet liked it so much when Jim was straight. One can only imagine all of the emotion and thoughts the band went through.  You know at first, in the beginning of the book, I thought that John didn't like Jim, but as you read and read, it became so clear of how much he cared about Jim.

#29 Renaissance: The Cool

Renaissance: The Cool

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

I like the part when talks about going down to the army induction center and trying to act weird when he gets to the psychiatrists office-lol. laugh.gif

#30 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

If john did not like jim he would not have stayed in the doors although he did attempt to quit and by his own admission the doors did not confront eachother directly there seemed to be a mutual respect, on the contary to ray's where you get the little tussles here and theere early on in their career especially between jim and john.  My fav part as I may have said is the chapter "stange days" when he talks about his fav recording sessions and its from a members perspctive and he uses some second hand accounts from interviews published with band members and doors associates whereas ray just gives his own spaced out point of view.  I  still think its good reading and still pull it out from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users