#1 John

John

Debut

• Official
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

One Foot in the Past, One Foot in the Present:

I hope this doesn't read like an infomercial, but my left foot has The Doors logo on it, and my right the
new Tribaljazz swirling dancer.  It's quite a stretch. but I've been doing yoga for 40 years, so I'm
comfortable with the position.

We jumpstarted The Doors 40th (anniversary) a few weeks ago and it was quite fun, despite the Berlin
wall (Sunset Boulevard) between me and my former band mates who tried to run off with our name.  I won
the lawsuit preserving the legacy (Jim, Ray, Robby and John not Ian, Ray, Robby, Stewart {Copeland who was fired}, Angelo and Ty), but it wasn't accepted and an appeal is in progress. hence the division.  I
wouldn't, couldn't, go across the street and pretend that Ray and Robby weren't costing us all hundreds of
thousands more and another year of legalese.

I participated in this celebration because I want to honor whatever spirit that came into a garage in
Venice where The Doors were rehearsing, a spirit bigger than the four of us.  We don't own it, but it
came through us.  The Whiskey A-Go-Go was covered with giant photos of the fab four, not the confused six,
but I didn't venture across Pink Floyd territory.  I was cloistered in Book Soup for an intimate poetry
séance evoking Jim's spirit.  Along with Chester Bennington (Linkin' Park), Perry Farrell (Jane's
Addiction, Lalapalooza Visionary, and now Satellite's Party) and Michael C. Ford (who read poetry with
Morrison in the same space in '69), we lit candles and incense and read Jim's words.  It was pin-drop time.
I was very happy to be there.

I heard the festivities across the wall in the west were very successful as well, but on a higher decibel
level.  All in all, I was, am, very proud of my past. After all, as I said in my autobiography, Riders on
the Storm, "of The Doors" is permanently etched on my forehead.

As to the future, I'm getting younger every day trying to keep up with these young bucks in my new group.
Tribaljazz is a seven-piece ensemble with lots of stellar young players.  This is a quote from the inner
sleeve of our first CD that I wrote:  "There are many villages represented on this CD, as well as in this
group of musicians.  NYC is one, the streets of Senegal is another.  Both genders are present here,
and several shades of color - white, black, brown, and hopefully, every hue in-between.  Can all these
villages live together, in peace, as one community? We hope that the feeling you get from listening is of
a global village that tolerates - in fact, celebrates the diversity and extraordinary range of cultures on
planet Earth."  Not to mention the playing of the 29-year-old piano and master African drummer forces me
to improve my chops.  I'm playing better than ever for an elder.

Tribaljazz has played a few festivals, and people always get up and dance, due to the infectious rhythm.
Maybe we're a jam band!  In any event, I'm very pleased at being challenged musically as an artist,
with a solid foundation of being in a seminal rock band that seems to still effect, or mirror, our
culture.  I can't ask for more than that.  Thanks for listening.

#2 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

I'll get to this blog later but right now I have to say a couple of things.

QUOTE(John @ Nov 22 2006, 07:27 PM) View Post

We jumpstarted The Doors 40th (anniversary) a few weeks ago and it was quite fun, despite the Berlin
wall (Sunset Boulevard) between me and my former band mates who tried to run off with our name.  I won
the lawsuit preserving the legacy (Jim, Ray, Robby and John not Ian, Ray, Robby, Stewart {Copeland who was fired}, Angelo and Ty), but it wasn't accepted and an appeal is in progress. hence the division.  I
wouldn't, couldn't, go across the street and pretend that Ray and Robby weren't costing us all hundreds of

lawsuit again?
an appeal is in progress?
another year of legalese?

mad.gif  mad.gif

you did well!
no you can not pretend.

I participated in this celebration because I want to honor whatever spirit that came into a garage in Venice where The Doors were rehearsing, a spirit bigger than the four of us.  We don't own it, but it came through us.  

what happened in that garage will never happen again, it was magical.
I feel tremendously sad.
it was a sacred time in a special place claimed by extraordinary conditions and cosmic energy.

#3 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:28 AM

As to the future, I'm getting younger every day trying to keep up with these young bucks in my new group.
Tribaljazz is a seven-piece ensemble with lots of stellar young players.  This is a quote from the inner sleeve of our first CD that I wrote:  "There are many villages represented on this CD, as well as in this group of musicians.  NYC is one, the streets of Senegal is another.  Both genders are present here, and several shades of color - white, black, brown, and hopefully, every hue in-between. Can all these villages live together, in peace, as one community? We hope that the feeling you get from listening is of a global village that tolerates - in fact, celebrates the diversity and extraordinary range of cultures on planet Earth."  Not to mention the playing of the 29-year-old piano and master African drummer forces me to improve my chops.  I'm playing better than ever for an elder.

Tribaljazz has played a few festivals, and people always get up and dance, due to the infectious rhythm. Maybe we're a jam band!  In any event, I'm very pleased at being challenged musically as an artist, with a solid foundation of being in a seminal rock band that seems to still effect, or mirror, our culture.  I can't ask for more than that.  Thanks for listening.

BEWARE, THE MAN IS ALIVE!!!

smile.gif   smile.gif   tongue.gif tongue.gif   smile.gif

no need to say "thank you", my friend.
I will listen to your drums forever.
You're welcome!

cool.gif

#4 Guest_Stuart_*

Guest_Stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:45 AM

Good To Hear From you John, I would have loved to have been there at the poetry reading. John, Bring TribalJazz To Scotland For a few dates Please!!! I'll buy ya a pint Of Tennents Lager!!! biggrin.gif .

#5 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

Interesting about Pink Floyd, Roger Waters said that there was "nothing particularly heady about the 1960's" when asked about that era.
It is true that a something greater than the four guys was present there at the beach, the spirit is easily recognizable as Jah and is still around. The spirit was able to utilize Jim to speak the words of Jah. On April 21, 1966 His Imperial Majesty Hallie Salassie visited Jamaica and Rita Marley saw the stigmata on his hands as he waved to the crowd. This convinced her and further cemented Bob Marleys relationship with Jah.
What is the connection? I feel that The Doors were in the right place at the right time for it all to happen.
IPB ImageIPB Image
Venice in the early 1900's
IPB Image
Ocean Front Walk in 1906 looking north to the Fraser Pier
IPB Image
Digging the canals in 1904 was back breaking work

#6 Sunday Trucker

Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(rotaryperception @ Nov 23 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

Interesting about Pink Floyd, Roger Waters said that there was "nothing particularly heady about the 1960's" when asked about that era.
It is true that a something greater than the four guys was present there at the beach, the spirit is easily recognizable as Jah and is still around. The spirit was able to utilize Jim to speak the words of Jah. On April 21, 1966 His Imperial Majesty Hallie Salassie visited Jamaica and Rita Marley saw the stigmata on his hands as he waved to the crowd. This convinced her and further cemented Bob Marleys relationship with Jah.
What is the connection? I feel that The Doors were in the right place at the right time for it all to happen.

Hey Rotary, did you know Salassie came to Brasil in the mid senventies? I wonder why. But I see there are connections with Brasil and Africa, very strong. It's funny my favorite kinds of music (which I listen everyday) are rock and reggae. If it wasn't for that little compact with a tribute to Marley I wouldn't know how much John was connected to Marley, reggae and Jamaica too.

Now John, I don't know why but reading your new blog I get a funny vision, I know these visions appear for a reason dug deep bottom in the subcontious, like a wake dream...anyway this is the vision: I see you near Venice Beach at night with a smile you hug a friend I can't see who, then its daylight and you're near an airport garage, with a green shirt and white pants now you shake hands and hug a few people, a very sweet and calm smooth feeling in the air.

I am sorry this Berlin wall wasn't broke yet. I think it will fall down sooner or later. Good luck with these new projects, make sure to bring this new music to Brasil! I think you would have a lot to share with brasilian music too. Like you did forty years ago...

Feel a hug from your fan here.

#7 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

I posted this in another forum, but it went along w/ John's blog - so here it is to compliment his.
The 40th celebration is a recent memory for many.  Rather then go into the whole event including what happened and what didn’t – I want to focus on John’s event over at Book Soup.  
An obvious unfortunate aspect of Book Soup was simply its physical size, which prevented many from experiencing the magic.  I know magic is a loosely thrown around word in Doors circles, but a poetry reading is something you either get or you don’t.  If you get it – then the muse may just touch you along with the performers.
The performance started out with a fitting introduction by Ben Fong Torres.  Sitting along side w/ Ben was no other than Michael C. Ford (who was originally w/ Jim at this location), Perry Ferrell, Chester Bennington, and musicians from Perry’s band “Satellite Party”.  There were also family and friends gathered behind them.  The small but densely packed crowd was comprised of teenagers to senior citizens.   Tristan and Dylan (Jim Morrison niece and nephew) were also in attendance.
After Ben’s introduction, Michael C. Ford read Jim’s poetry w/ John’s trademark accenting percussion.  John was obviously careful about making sure the words had their maximum impact.  The timing and watchful eye of John gives you a clue why the drumming that made up The Doors is often replicated, never duplicated.  The tradition carries through in John’s recent passion called Tribaljazz.
After Ford’s pullback to a different time and place, Bennington followed up with some powerful reciting of Jim’s words.  Again, it was fantastic to see the interplay between the percussion and the “word man”.  I knew they were “feeling” it because the crowd started “feeling” it.
About this time, John lit up a large clump of Sage and blew the smoke out into the crowd.  The caressing smoke immediately hit all of our olfactory nerves and awoke those strange subconscious memory banks tied to that sense.  John then performed words and percussion himself.  From what I could tell, everyone was hanging on to every word and sound at this point.  It was quiet during the silent moments.  I’m talking pin drop quiet.
   Next the performance turned to Perry Ferrell along with members of Perry’s band accompanying on acoustic guitar and percussion along w/ John’s percussion.   Before starting, John asked if everybody wanted to sit down on the carpet and relax.  We were packed like sardines and although the spirit wanted to – we couldn’t find the space and continued to stand.    I felt a bead of sweat as I realized just how hot this place was becoming with all the bodies in compression mode.   John sighed and started the performance.  You could certainly tell John was enjoying the interplay, which helped the whole overall mood become even further relaxed.    After awhile, John again asked if we could all just relax and sit down.   We all glanced at each other in disbelief and then it was a “fuck it…..we’re going to do it” moment.   Down we went and God help us trying to get back up.  Cheek to cheek and arm to arm baby.  This was getting intimate indeed.   Just a complete communal experience.
John ended the performance as he always does – giving you something to think about with some of the deepest and best poetry from Jim and John’s reflections of insight (much like he did w/ Riders on the Storm performances).   It was over.  The muse lifted and we all filed away another moment into those strange subconscious memory banks.  The warmth and the closeness of a poetry reading was a nice relief from an overall supercharged event.

#8 allthingssordid

allthingssordid

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for sharing...:-)

QUOTE(knowidea @ Nov 25 2006, 04:36 AM) View Post

I posted this in another forum, but it went along w/ John's blog - so here it is to compliment his.
The 40th celebration is a recent memory for many.  Rather then go into the whole event including what happened and what didn’t – I want to focus on John’s event over at Book Soup.  
An obvious unfortunate aspect of Book Soup was simply its physical size, which prevented many from experiencing the magic.  I know magic is a loosely thrown around word in Doors circles, but a poetry reading is something you either get or you don’t.  If you get it – then the muse may just touch you along with the performers.
The performance started out with a fitting introduction by Ben Fong Torres.  Sitting along side w/ Ben was no other than Michael C. Ford (who was originally w/ Jim at this location), Perry Ferrell, Chester Bennington, and musicians from Perry’s band “Satellite Party”.  There were also family and friends gathered behind them.  The small but densely packed crowd was comprised of teenagers to senior citizens.   Tristan and Dylan (Jim Morrison niece and nephew) were also in attendance.
After Ben’s introduction, Michael C. Ford read Jim’s poetry w/ John’s trademark accenting percussion.  John was obviously careful about making sure the words had their maximum impact.  The timing and watchful eye of John gives you a clue why the drumming that made up The Doors is often replicated, never duplicated.  The tradition carries through in John’s recent passion called Tribaljazz.
After Ford’s pullback to a different time and place, Bennington followed up with some powerful reciting of Jim’s words.  Again, it was fantastic to see the interplay between the percussion and the “word man”.  I knew they were “feeling” it because the crowd started “feeling” it.
About this time, John lit up a large clump of Sage and blew the smoke out into the crowd.  The caressing smoke immediately hit all of our olfactory nerves and awoke those strange subconscious memory banks tied to that sense.  John then performed words and percussion himself.  From what I could tell, everyone was hanging on to every word and sound at this point.  It was quiet during the silent moments.  I’m talking pin drop quiet.
   Next the performance turned to Perry Ferrell along with members of Perry’s band accompanying on acoustic guitar and percussion along w/ John’s percussion.   Before starting, John asked if everybody wanted to sit down on the carpet and relax.  We were packed like sardines and although the spirit wanted to – we couldn’t find the space and continued to stand.    I felt a bead of sweat as I realized just how hot this place was becoming with all the bodies in compression mode.   John sighed and started the performance.  You could certainly tell John was enjoying the interplay, which helped the whole overall mood become even further relaxed.    After awhile, John again asked if we could all just relax and sit down.   We all glanced at each other in disbelief and then it was a “fuck it…..we’re going to do it” moment.   Down we went and God help us trying to get back up.  Cheek to cheek and arm to arm baby.  This was getting intimate indeed.   Just a complete communal experience.
John ended the performance as he always does – giving you something to think about with some of the deepest and best poetry from Jim and John’s reflections of insight (much like he did w/ Riders on the Storm performances).   It was over.  The muse lifted and we all filed away another moment into those strange subconscious memory banks.  The warmth and the closeness of a poetry reading was a nice relief from an overall supercharged event.

#9 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(John @ Nov 22 2006, 10:27 PM) View Post

I hope this doesn't read like an infomercial, but my left foot has The Doors logo on it, and my right the
new Tribaljazz swirling dancer.  It's quite a stretch. but I've been doing yoga for 40 years, so I'm

I participated in this celebration because I want to honor whatever spirit that came into a garage in
Venice where The Doors were rehearsing, a spirit bigger than the four of us.  We don't own it, but it
came through us.  The Whiskey A-Go-Go was covered with giant photos of the fab four, not the confused six,
but I didn't venture across Pink Floyd territory.  I was cloistered in Book Soup for an intimate poetry
séance evoking Jim's spirit.  Along with Chester Bennington (Linkin' Park), Perry Farrell (Jane's
Addiction, Lalapalooza Visionary, and now Satellite's Party) and Michael C. Ford (who read poetry with
Morrison in the same space in '69), we lit candles and incense and read Jim's words.  It was pin-drop time.

I heard the festivities across the wall in the west were very successful as well, but on a higher decibel
level.  All in all, I was, am, very proud of my past. After all, as I said in my autobiography, Riders on

Tribaljazz is a seven-piece ensemble with lots of stellar young players.  This is a quote from the inner
sleeve of our first CD that I wrote:  "There are many villages represented on this CD, as well as in this
group of musicians.  NYC is one, the streets of Senegal is another.  Both genders are present here,
and several shades of color - white, black, brown, and hopefully, every hue in-between.  Can all these
villages live together, in peace, as one community? We hope that the feeling you get from listening is of
a global village that tolerates - in fact, celebrates the diversity and extraordinary range of cultures on
planet Earth."  Not to mention the playing of the 29-year-old piano and master African drummer forces me

Tribaljazz has played a few festivals, and people always get up and dance, due to the infectious rhythm.
Maybe we're a jam band!  In any event, I'm very pleased at being challenged musically as an artist,
with a solid foundation of being in a seminal rock band that seems to still effect, or mirror, our

I don't know John.. but between "..of The Doors" permanantly etched in your forehead and 2 different logos on your feet, you sound like a marked man... lol

I love the way you speak of where you came from and where you are now. There's a whole lot to be proud of there. I may be in the minority by saying this, but I appreciate the fact that events at the 40th were not hypocritical on your part for the sake of publicity or whatever. It was what it was, and at least it was honest.

As for Tribaljazz, I am loving the cd (we listened to it here during Thanksgiving dinner.. interrupted only once for Arlo's "Alice's Restaurant" :-) and I have to tell you that you're doing an awesome job keeping up with those "young bucks". In fact, it may be your incredible talent and stamina that's really driving _them_.  I hope to be able to catch Tribaljazz live sometime.

Thanks for all your input here, and for sharing your thoughts with all of us. It's very much appreciated.

#10 door71

door71

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:44 AM

Did you have to add "former bandmates trying to run off with our name"?

You don't even use the name "The Doors" when introducing yourself on the Collection DVD.

#11 knowidea

knowidea

Morrison Hotel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

"...another year of legalese" ought to be the pisser.

#12 DaraTheDisgruntledDiva

DaraTheDisgruntledDiva

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

Oh God no tell me I didnt just read that the other members are appealing the decision!!??? God that is so sad why cant they get out of the sixties and live in the day its a new century move on do something else with your lives - thank you John for enduring all of this it is what Jim would have wanted.I dont understand why it is so damn important to them to get the name ? There was and will always be only one band named the Doors. I am afraid if they take control of your name the next step will be selling songs for commercial purposes such as you blocking the sale of When the Musics over from becoming an apple computer commercial. Jims words meant something and still mean something to this day and we all know how he reacted to the sale of Light My Fire and those were not his words. He would have absolutely hated what the other band members are doing.  I absolutely hate these other bands that have sold out and now those songs who had so much meaning in the day are now tied to cadillac commercials etc. Its disgraceful in my opinion and to the other Doors its really starting to look like sheer greed on their parts. Dont you think they have made enough money by now? Please continue to preserve Jims Words, your integrity, and your legacy. The words and the songs speak for themselves and Jim would have absolutely hated them being sold for commercial purposes. I truly believe they are betraying his memory. You on the other hand are turning out to be the only one that has moved on and started new things and you are making a name for yourself all over again just in a different forum. Thank you for having so much integrity you are awesome !!

#13 Ana

Ana

Waiting For The Sun

• Omega
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(knowidea @ Nov 24 2006, 08:36 PM) View Post

I believe this is the link to the poetry reading, am I right?

http://www.booksoup.com/podcast/thedoors.asp

It took me 5 hours to download the poetry reading (dial-up) but it was worth.
I love John's drumming.

#14 John

John

Debut

• Official
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Sunday Trucker @ Nov 24 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

Hey Rotary, did you know Salassie came to Brasil in the mid senventies? I wonder why. But I see there are connections with Brasil and Africa, very strong. It's funny my favorite kinds of music (which I listen everyday) are rock and reggae. If it wasn't for that little compact with a tribute to Marley I wouldn't know how much John was connected to Marley, reggae and Jamaica too.

Now John, I don't know why but reading your new blog I get a funny vision, I know these visions appear for a reason dug deep bottom in the subcontious, like a wake dream...anyway this is the vision: I see you near Venice Beach at night with a smile you hug a friend I can't see who, then its daylight and you're near an airport garage, with a green shirt and white pants now you shake hands and hug a few people, a very sweet and calm smooth feeling in the air.

I am sorry this Berlin wall wasn't broke yet. I think it will fall down sooner or later. Good luck with these new projects, make sure to bring this new music to Brasil! I think you would have a lot to share with brasilian music too. Like you did forty years ago...

Feel a hug from your fan here.

Thank you for your vision... it was very interesting, john D.

QUOTE(gotothelight @ Nov 29 2006, 10:02 AM) View Post

I don't know John.. but between "..of The Doors" permanantly etched in your forehead and 2 different logos on your feet, you sound like a marked man... lol

I love the way you speak of where you came from and where you are now. There's a whole lot to be proud of there. I may be in the minority by saying this, but I appreciate the fact that events at the 40th were not hypocritical on your part for the sake of publicity or whatever. It was what it was, and at least it was honest.

As for Tribaljazz, I am loving the cd (we listened to it here during Thanksgiving dinner.. interrupted only once for Arlo's "Alice's Restaurant" :-) and I have to tell you that you're doing an awesome job keeping up with those "young bucks". In fact, it may be your incredible talent and stamina that's really driving _them_.  I hope to be able to catch Tribaljazz live sometime.

Thanks for all your input here, and for sharing your thoughts with all of us. It's very much appreciated.

and I appreciate hearing all your thoughts... JD

#15 Guest_Stuart_*

Guest_Stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:11 AM

[quote name='door71' post='9493' date='Dec 1 2006, 01:44 PM']
Did you have to add "former bandmates trying to run off with our name"?

You don't even use the name "The Doors" when introducing yourself on the Collection DVD.
[/

Ray and Robby WERE trying to run off with the name and thankfully john won the case to prevent them.

#16 DaraTheDisgruntledDiva

DaraTheDisgruntledDiva

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hi John I wanted to thank you for your recent blog and keeping us informed of the legal wranglings still ongoing. I enjoyed reading about your new band - your enthusiasm is apparent and contagious. Its nice to see your excitement over the new music. Its nice to see you expanding your musical horizons in another direction so completely different from The Doors. I love the new sound and the fact that there is such a mixture of cultures and such diversity in the band. Its nice to see someone breaking the barriers and proving that people from all different cultures can come together and make beautiful music together without any prejudice involved. A pity the rest of the world couldnt understand that and make more of an effort to getting along with those different from us. You are a very cool guy and I am happy to see you have done so much since the old days. You seem to be the only one not living in the past. When I met Ray I actually came away from the meeting feeling sad - he seems so deep into the sixties still it was actually sad to see he hasnt moved on at all. I felt the same when I met Robby still stuck in the 60's and sadly quite burntout from his drugging days. I looked so forward to meeting them and came away from those meetings feeling sorry for them and sad at what they had become. I am happy to see you doing so well and not only working on projects with your wife but also the new music its very hip and very cool. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us - Dara

#17 The Philosopher King

The Philosopher King

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(John @ Nov 23 2006, 03:27 AM) View Post

First off, nice to see another blog from you John! I am glad you are enjoying yourself with the 40th Anniversery stuff. On a humourous note, you forgot Phil Chen... biggrin.gif

I don't wanna be the fly in the anti-ROTS ointment over here, and you know I respect you John, and I don't want to appear disrespectful to you on your own site, but I think hell, you might respect me a little more if I take issue with some of what you say, rather than say nothing when I disagree with what you say. I will offer my opinion that whilst Ray and Robby may be costing you money in legal fees with this appeal, you cost them money too with the initial case. Not that I'm arguing at this stage with your reasons for suing them in the first place, because I've long argued my opinion about that.  My point I guess is that, in my humble opinion, you could go across the street. Everyone knows you guys have serious problems with the lawsuit, the name and so on. You didn't have to be up their butts so to speak. I have been lucky enough to have good friends, some of whom let me down badly from time to time, and doubtless I have let good friends down badly as well in the past. But the ones who are closest, who mean the most to me, they are the ones I have fallen out most seriously with sometimes, but we always find a way to sort things out. And we fall out over issues like love, money, and all the things you guys have fallen out over. Sure, you, Robby and Ray are legends. Gods amongst musicians. But you're human too (all to human from what I sadly hear about Ray and Robby), and well, I hope you can sort out the bitterness. Because, and I'm going to put it bluntly. You are not young men any more. You each have 20 years or so if you're lucky and then no more and I don't know about you or Ray or Robby, but at the tender age of 26, I have already decided to live my life so that I don't die after a long life having permanently fallen out with my best friends.

I know, you may think you are morally right to take the stand you have, and that Ray has been abusive towards you and that Robby's silent and implicit support for Ray has been a big snub to you. But some of us fans don't want to choose a Door to hate because you say one thing and Ray says another. For the sake of 40 years of friendship between you guys, and almost as importantly, 40 years of fans cheering you on, wishing you well, hell, even praying for each of you when things have been bad, please both of you, John and Ray, find a way through this. Names and legalities aside, you have brought me so much happiness as a musician. But Ray and Robby do too, right here, in the 21st Century.

What happens if you lose this appeal? Do we have another round of it all, while you counter-appeal? When does it stop? I know, ask Ray, he's the swine suing right? Well I can't ask him, but I suppose I can ask you as you are by far the most internet-savvy Door in the band. If Ray and Robby win, I tell you, as a ROTS fan, I won't celebrate, because as a Doors fan, I think the whole story of this has been too painful to watch and not feel damned upset with all three of you guys. Ray for insulting you through the media, and you for firing back at that level from time to time on here. But I suppose The Doors has never been the most dignified of shows has it? Part of the macabre entertainment of you erotic politicians is watching you die, over and over again, be it literally, or be it the suicide of your legacy.

I was gonna write a little about the rest of your blog, but I just can't. I'm happy you enjoyed that day, you deserve it so much. You are a hero to me. But what goes on today with The Doors has forced me to grow up I guess, and look at all three of you not as mythical legends in music, but as human beings, apparently even more fallible and prone to argument and bitterness than most. That goes for Ray as well as you by the way - I'm not having a go squarely at you. It's just that your's is the only board where I can get away with speaking my mind. If the clamps are ever taken off of Ray and Robby's side of the boards, I'd urge them to quit with the suing game too. I like ROTS. I don't care anymore what there name is, because for me, as I've grown up, the name on the tin has come to mean less than the delicious messages contained within.

Good luck as always John, my thoughts of goodwill are always aimed in your direction sir.

Oh, and I really don't want to engage with other members here in another debate about ROTS. I'm putting points to John on this occasion. As arrogant as that may sound, I'm not being disrespectful to fellow Doors fans, and John fans, but I've debated with you all to the nth degree and frankly, I'm tired of exchanging veiled insults across IM Boards. So you diehards, you haters of Ray and Robby, please spare me just this once, as I am not a John hating Doors fan, as you ALL know.

Daniel PK unsure.gif

#18 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(The Philosopher King @ Dec 5 2006, 01:16 PM) View Post

My point I guess is that, in my humble opinion, you could go across the street. Everyone knows you guys have serious problems with the lawsuit, the name and so on. You didn't have to be up their butts so to speak.

please both of you, John and Ray, find a way through this. Names and legalities aside, you have brought me so much happiness as a musician. But Ray and Robby do too, right here, in the 21st Century.

It is easy to say "find a way through this" and play again, but it makes just about as much sense as Nancy Reagan saying "Just Say No" as a resonse to a serious question about drug use.
The issue at hand is art, do you really think Ray and Robby were making art? Why should John join them if they are not making art and paying tribute to black musicians?
It is gonna take effort on Ray's part. My opinion on Ray's music might change if I hear him playing to benefit Ralph Nader's Presidency in 2008.

#19 The Philosopher King

The Philosopher King

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(rotaryperception @ Dec 6 2006, 04:34 AM) View Post

It is easy to say "find a way through this" and play again, but it makes just about as much sense as Nancy Reagan saying "Just Say No" as a resonse to a serious question about drug use.
The issue at hand is art, do you really think Ray and Robby were making art? Why should John join them if they are not making art and paying tribute to black musicians?
It is gonna take effort on Ray's part. My opinion on Ray's music might change if I hear him playing to benefit Ralph Nader's Presidency in 2008.

Hi Rotary. If it was anybody else I wouldn't bother responding! biggrin.gif

Yes, I really think Ray and Robby are making art. I'm not saying John should join them. I don't think it makes a difference whether or not they are paying tribute to black musicians - it is possible to both make art and not pay tribute to black musicians. Nothing against black musicians btw. biggrin.gif

I agree, it will take effort on Ray's part. Robby's too. John's too.

I'm surprised you choose to tie in your opinion of Ray's music with Ralph Nader. The two are massively unrelated; Ray is to Ralph as John is to playing the triangle. Massively unrelated IMHO. Ray's politics are not particularly central to the art he makes with ROTS IMHO.

But on the core point, effort will be required from all 3 of them. I just hope one of them, and I don't care which one starts first, just one of them starts making an effort in the course of their lifetimes. Or at least around January 23rd-ish I suppose, which is a natural date to start working around the dust that is sure to settle in new and interesting ways around their legacy. I just hope those interesting ways won't be to the benefit of those who would like to destroy The Doors' legacy. The sniping media (esp. in the UK), and people who would love to see Ray destroyed. I hope the dust settles in favour of Ray, of Robby and of John.

PK cool.gif

#20 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(The Philosopher King @ Dec 6 2006, 11:58 AM) View Post

Hi Rotary. If it was anybody else I wouldn't bother responding! biggrin.gif

Yes, I really think Ray and Robby are making art. I'm not saying John should join them. I don't think it makes a difference whether or not they are paying tribute to black musicians - it is possible to both make art and not pay tribute to black musicians. Nothing against black musicians btw. biggrin.gif

I agree, it will take effort on Ray's part. Robby's too. John's too.

I'm surprised you choose to tie in your opinion of Ray's music with Ralph Nader. The two are massively unrelated; Ray is to Ralph as John is to playing the triangle. Massively unrelated IMHO. Ray's politics are not particularly central to the art he makes with ROTS IMHO.

But on the core point, effort will be required from all 3 of them. I just hope one of them, and I don't care which one starts first, just one of them starts making an effort in the course of their lifetimes. Or at least around January 23rd-ish I suppose, which is a natural date to start working around the dust that is sure to settle in new and interesting ways around their legacy. I just hope those interesting ways won't be to the benefit of those who would like to destroy The Doors' legacy. The sniping media (esp. in the UK), and people who would love to see Ray destroyed. I hope the dust settles in favour of Ray, of Robby and of John.

PK cool.gif

I am not sure what political even means, but I do know that Ray Manzarek played at a benefit for John Kerry, so for me to mention Ralph Nader is a relevant topic and should be discussed further.
The democrats have failed, I do not want to see Mrs. Clinton win any election. Howard Stern remarked that the democrats only have a woman, a jew, and a black man left in their party who have a chance at the presidency. There is no way Lieberman will be elected, so the question is will the US elect a black man or a white woman first?
Also, I found this about Ray, he says John lost his mind..."For Manzarek, the court case has been a waste of time. "It's been long and ridiculous" he says. "You know what it is, when a rock band stays together long enough someone in the band will lose their mind and sue the other members. That's what happened - Beach Boys, Pink Floyd - somebody has got to sue".
"In my mind we are The Doors, we will play Doors and regardless of the actual name, we will play the same songs like 'Light My Fire', 'Break On Through' and 'When The Music's Over'"
"It made it one of intense antagonism" Ray said.

You already know that I don't agree with any ism, but in Ray's mind he is playing as The Doors. This means that Ray thinks he is still making art regardless of whether they have a good singer or not.
Would you say Ian has a baritone voice? I would say not, no one in the rock world except Jim had one.

Also regarding Ralph Nader, all drug offenders have to be let out of jail and prison. Only Nader will do this, we are talking about an essential freedom. Ray even agrees with this idea to some extent..

"Ecstasy – I've never taken it – but it gives you a nice high and you feel warm and loving towards your fellow man. Well, that's the point of it: opening the doors of perception.
You also do that through psychedelics. You cannot do that through crystal meth or strange, crystalline white powders.
So, my advice? Take psychedelics. Why not? There are mushrooms growing, LSD was created by a doctor. They will open the doors to perception and you will see things as they are – infinite."

But Australian Drug Foundation chief executive Bill Stronach said Manzarek was talking nonsense.
"Taking any drug has risks and clearly with LSD and hallucinogens there are significant risks," he said."

I would like to hear all opinions on this since it is related to the days of 1966 in Los Angeles when LSD was legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users