14 replies to this topic

#1 allthingssordid

allthingssordid

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

One of the things I specifically wanted to read more about was John's recollection of the Waiting for the Sun sessions.  And he disappointed me.  Absolutely no mention of the band's attempt at recording Jim's COTL. I mean, really, this was a significant attempt by the band to capture an extremely imaginative, allegorical and creative piece inside of Jim's mind and John had nothing to say about it???

The omission was glaring and disappointed me greatly.  Of course, no discussion about the recording of Soft Parade track either....

#2 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:02 AM

I agree! Both Ray & Johns accounts hardly go into a great deal of detail about the recording of most of the Doors masterpieces................the debut album which 40 years ago today the band were in the process of recording is hardly mentioned in Johns book and Ray seems to have travelled to a different dimension when he recalls his account of it.............he places great importance on the first royalty check of course but the debut album gets a few pages of esoteric ramblings .................John is even worse with about two pages on it which says pretty much nothing....sad really as this sort of thing is interesting to us Doors fans....Like you I would love to hear loads about the recording of COTL as well as the recording of all the eight Doors studio albums.
'The Shamen as Superstar' article by Richard Goldstein deals with the moment Jim finds out that the piece will not make it to WFTS but the COTL story has barely been dealt with in the last 30 odd years.....
I guess these guys are far too busy selling their overpriced box sets to worry about trivialities like that...........sadly all we Doors fans are ever allowed to hear is the same old shit trundled out time and again.....maybe this new book might have something interesting in it...........I would not hold my breath...........
These guys should have gotten together years ago and collaberated on setting down the oral History of this great band as it is Important.............but they cannot really be arced...........they are lucky as the dead bloke ensures that they are fed housed and watered regularly so why bother doing anything like that........just shove Morrisons face on it and sell a shitload............Will we ever hear about the recording of COTL which seemed to take up the early part of 1968..........will we bollocks  mad.gif  sad.gif

#3 rotaryperception

rotaryperception

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:31 PM

I read about Jim Morrison wanting to work with Brian Wilson on COTL, anyone heard about this?
Brian was living in a sandbox at the time, his basement was a pharmacy and no one could get near him.

#4 Sunday Trucker

Sunday Trucker

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Not to mention the big diference in Ray´s and John´s accounts!
John´s is a bit more detailed I should say, it has been said his is the most real. I Like John´s best as a Doors portrait and Ray´s as the sixties generation cultural portrait.

#5 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:00 AM

To be honest I often go back and read john's book, to me it is like a rock and roll novel.  Ray's book which i bought the time it was released I found a good read at first.  Both books are sometimes light in their sensitivity for example in john's book it says the doors did not confront each other or squabble very much in a lot of areas.  You get the impression that they held back some of the feelings and negativity including thier real feelings toward jim.

Ray's book gives you the impression that they did talk things tyhrough and argued amongst themselves on some topics eg: The beach house where he talks about his rent and rehearsal situation, the Buick Ad and confronting jim about his drinking.  John avoids getting too deeply into this although we get a similar story where john is not happy about Manzarek's beach mansion and starts going to clubs looking for gigs.

I look forward to the big doors autobiography where hopefully where we hear mostly from robby kreiger who has not written the version of his life with this interesting, phenomenal group called the doors.

In conclusion john does give insight into the recording of his favourite albums with a passion (strange days and LA Woman) and also the live performances and we feel his sadness and anger at the performances that were not so good.  John could have talked more about the after miami gigs a bit more but its hard to remember every gig, every detail.  At least it is not a strictly morrison biography but a journey into john's life in and out of the door.

#6 MeagerFood521

MeagerFood521

Morrison Hotel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(Paul M @ Oct 7 2006, 09:00 AM) View Post
To be honest I often go back and read john's book, to me it is like a rock and roll novel.  Ray's book which i bought the time it was released I found a good read at first.  Both books are sometimes light in their sensitivity for example in john's book it says the doors did not confront each other or squabble very much in a lot of areas.  You get the impression that they held back some of the feelings and negativity including thier real feelings toward jim.

Ray's book gives you the impression that they did talk things tyhrough and argued amongst themselves on some topics eg: The beach house where he talks about his rent and rehearsal situation, the Buick Ad and confronting jim about his drinking.  John avoids getting too deeply into this although we get a similar story where john is not happy about Manzarek's beach mansion and starts going to clubs looking for gigs.

I look forward to the big doors autobiography where hopefully where we hear mostly from robby kreiger who has not written the version of his life with this interesting, phenomenal group called the doors.

In conclusion john does give insight into the recording of his favourite albums with a passion (strange days and LA Woman) and also the live performances and we feel his sadness and anger at the performances that were not so good.  John could have talked more about the after miami gigs a bit more but its hard to remember every gig, every detail.  At least it is not a strictly morrison biography but a journey into john's life in and out of the door.

Paul smile.gif   Just browsing around and came across this topic.  
I just finished reading Break on Through and found it just okay.  I received Ray's LMF first so that was my first read, at that time I thought it was great....next I got John's 'Riders' and in comparing the two John's makes Ray's look somewhat
like a comic book.  Ray tends to talk mostly about himself and Dorothy...("We then consumated our Love")  well, gag my gut!  Who the fuck cares?  Also his use of 50 cent words is annoying....it seems he wanted to insure that we readers knew just how smart he is.  As we know the books do not have a happy ending..however, Ray's feelings didn't really come across as anything but how can I make my next buck and/or another day in the music world.  I would call John's book more of a tribute to an artist and his true memories as a member of the doors and as Jim's friend.
Oh, just another thought....just how could anyone confront someone like Jim????  I feel they were in awe of him and rightly so...and collectively the 3 just hoped for the best.  I also took notice that John is a much deeper thinker than Ray.
I would love to read what Robby has to say but he seems to shun the limelight.        Jacky

#7 jym

jym

Soft Parade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Paul M @ Oct 7 2006, 04:00 AM) View Post
it is like a rock and roll novel.

I know a good Rock N Roll novel for you!  biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Maybe Densmore could correct ommisions like this and add to his book via his blog section here with expansions of sections of the book and elements he missed out first time round.
It would certainly help this place grow and flourish if he stopped being invisible and started to blog on a regular basis.
What else does he do nowadays? His Tribaljazz project has failed so what's the problem with contributing to his own website forum?
Putting something back into The Doors community.......makes sense to me but then I am not a millionaire  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

#9 mewsical

mewsical

L.A. Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jul 26 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Densmore could correct ommisions like this and add to his book via his blog section here with expansions of sections of the book and elements he missed out first time round.
It would certainly help this place grow and flourish if he stopped being invisible and started to blog on a regular basis.
What else does he do nowadays? His Tribaljazz project has failed so what's the problem with contributing to his own website forum?
Putting something back into The Doors community.......makes sense to me but then I am not a millionaire  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

He's been writing his book and getting it ready for the publisher, I imagine.  Editors tend to be a bit pesky, so he's likely had to do rewrites, plus he's been out with your favorite director, promoting your favorite documentary.  

Why do you think the Tribaljazz project has "failed," btw?  

#10 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (mewsical @ Jul 26 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you think the Tribaljazz project has "failed," btw?

Seems pretty obvious by JDs recent comments.
When asked if we were going to see him playing live in the near future he replied 'not likely'.
Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out what that means with regards Tribaljazz.
The band is more than likely over.
Which is a shame as it might have led somewhere interesting.
The debut album had it's moments even if it never set alight interest by Doors fans.
All post Morrison Doors projects have failed so why should TJ be thought of as any different  laugh.gif
The project was not even 'mediocre' sales or interest wise so therefore must be seen as a failure surely?

#11 Encuentro

Encuentro

Debut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I wonder what the tracklisting of the COTL album would have been. Assuming that the song COTL would have taken up the entire 2nd side of the album, there may have been about 5-6 songs on the 1st side. We can eliminate Hello, I Love You right away as that was chosen as a result of the decision to leave COTL off the album. That leaves us with Love Street, Summer's Almost Gone, Wintertime Love, The Unknown Soldier, Spanish Caravan, My Wild Love, We Could Be So Good Together, Yes, the River Knows, 5 to 1 and perhaps Waiting for the Sun. We can probably leave off Waiting for the Sun as it was left off of the album of the same name when they were more in need of songs. Why they left that song off of the album is a mystery to me as I'm sure it is to other Doors fans. My guess is that the album The Celebration of the Lizard might look something like this.

Side A

1. 5 to 1

2. Love Street

3. The Unknown Soldier

4. Spanish Caravan

5. Yes, the River Knows

Side B

1. The Celebration of the Lizard

Of course when looking at that tracklisting, I can understand why the powers that be might have been concerned. There are no clear singles. Elektra was thrilled when Light My Fire went to #1 and may have been a little disappointed that there weren't any top ten hits from Strange Days. I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I believe that it's possible that COTL was scrapped with the exception of Not to Touch the Earth with the intention of going back to the drawing board. Elektra wanted another hit.

#12 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

It's possible to scratch Summer's Almost Gone from the list as perhaps that only came about as a result of HILY being on the demo.
Spanish Caravan & Yes, the River Knows just don't fit with the concept of COTL for me so I would discount them too.
Not sure about the others either. WFTS fits better with the poetry concept so maybe that would have featured.
Maybe something we have not heard about?
I wonder if Jim was going for some early kind of concept type album here? Snakeskin cover, poem that was envisaged as a stage play?
When you consider that COTL was the first thing the band did in the studio, then if it had worked who knows what else Jim might have come up with?

In March 1968 the LA Times mentioned that one of ths songs that was under consideration for COTL the album was a cover of Gloria. It also stated that the album was due to be completed by April that year. It was also mentioned that COTL might end up on both sides of thier 4th not 3rd LP which seemed to signal that all was not right COTL wise.

#13 mutenostrilagony

mutenostrilagony

Strange Days

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (TheWallsScreamedPoetry @ Jul 27 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems pretty obvious by JDs recent comments.
When asked if we were going to see him playing live in the near future he replied 'not likely'.
Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out what that means with regards Tribaljazz.
The band is more than likely over.
Which is a shame as it might have led somewhere interesting.
The debut album had it's moments even if it never set alight interest by Doors fans.
All post Morrison Doors projects have failed so why should TJ be thought of as any different  laugh.gif
The project was not even 'mediocre' sales or interest wise so therefore must be seen as a failure surely?

I think tribaljazz was not a permanent project.  it was an opportunity for john to show his jazz drumming so I don't think it failed, just one of his loves.

#14 gotothelight

gotothelight

L.A. Woman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (mutenostrilagony @ Aug 10 2010, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think tribaljazz was not a permanent project.  it was an opportunity for john to show his jazz drumming so I don't think it failed, just one of his loves.

I agree completely. It was John having fun with one of his passions (jazz drumming) and helping to make some really good music in the process.

#15 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

• Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (gotothelight @ Aug 10 2010, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree completely. It was John having fun with one of his passions (jazz drumming) and helping to make some really good music in the process.

I seem to remember reading John say they planned to tour and play Europe and that sounds a bit more than a vanity project. And yes their was a bit of really nice music in that album.
It attracted very little attention from Doors fans and then dissapeared.
Par for the course with these guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users